Strange Firing Patterns?

By venkelos, in Deathwatch House Rules

So, I'm noticing something weird, and thought I'd look into it. I am actually sitting down to make a Tau Commander, Commander Winged Death (Shas'O Viorla Geka Mont Kles'eldi), who goes into battle bearing twin-linked missile pods (the Deathrain pattern for Crisis Suits). In the codex, high-yield missile pods are Heavy 4, and these would be tin-linked, but weapons like launchers are single-fire weapons. I thought to myself "well, Whirlwinds are multi-missile launchers, so I'll see how they do damage", grabbing RoB to look them up. When I found the Whirlwind, however, it, too, fires one missile a round. What is the deal with this? I'm not saying that a single missile, at the listed errata damage, isn't going to do some serious damage, but these weapons are meant to be multi-projectile. Do we just assume that the damage covers this, or did they get rid of mult-fire heavies like these, for the purposes of game balance? Maybe the Whirlwind doesn't fire multiple rockets simultaneously, anymore, but I thought it did. Otherwise, is there a good way to reflect that the missiles from O'Kles'eldi's missile pods are launching multiple rockets, maybe giving them Proven (X, thinking 3), or something? Thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

For your rules questions:

Missile pods fire a single missile each turn.

Currently the rediculous force-you-to-buy-$150-model stuff from the current GW codex are not in the RPG.

As for the rest of your post, this sounds like home-ruling. Please move this discussion to that forum.

Oh, well I suppose. Like I said, I can see where multi-shot weapons would be a bit more out of place in the RPG than in TT. Still, sort of sad. I might have to make hers, at least, Proven, maybe to reflect some sort of special equipment; all Commanders get some of that, these days. Thinking something along the line of:

"Deathrain Pattern" High-Yield Missile Pods: 3d10+10 X, Pen 8, Arm Weapon Mounting, Blast (1), Proven (3), Twin-Linked.

This reflects, at least to me, the offensive power that I am envisioning. Great for popping tanks, I hope, and covering the damage output of several missiles firing. Maybe a bit much, but not for one unit on a field; the codex says otherwise, but i might not have more than one of this at a time, sort of like an experimental weapon system.

I'm pretty sure that the Whirlwind is firing short salvos and it's subsumed under the blast radius.

Alex

Tolerable, and with the DR Pods, the same would be seen, even if it is only Blast 1. For a hero's weapon, I think I continue to still like this.

I think that the table top game is operating on a different time scale to the RPGs. A typical table top game is 6 turns, and I would assume that to represent 30-60mins or 5-10mins per turn. Conversly with the RPG the length of time represented by a single turn is much shorter, probably around 10-15 seconds.

I think that the table top game is operating on a different time scale to the RPGs. A typical table top game is 6 turns, and I would assume that to represent 30-60mins or 5-10mins per turn. Conversly with the RPG the length of time represented by a single turn is much shorter, probably around 10-15 seconds.

5 seconds IIRC per round in Deathwatch IIRC

I would give the whirlwind "volley" a BIG Blast value

a weapon with two INDEPENDENT targeting system could be semiauto 2

a twin linked weapon should have a single hit roll, maybe with Blast 2