Pre-Ordering

By NatemusMaximus, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game

So I'm the kind of person that likes to pre-order if I know I'm going to really want something. While visiting the Barnes and Noble I found the following:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/star-wars-rpg-fantasy-flight-games/1118949852?ean=9781616618780

To me, this sounds like a mistake, considering the official release date is in April sometime. Also, I've had problems with Barnes and Noble before with pre-orders.

What do you guys think?

I strongly suspect that they (Barnes & Noble) got their information wrong. According to FFG, Age of Rebellion is still "on the boat" (though it was put "on the boat" the same day that Jewel of Yavin was, and that one's already here). Finally, large, online retailers like Amazon and Barnes & Noble tend to have a pretty poor track record when it comes to accurate information about niche products like this.

Of course, I could be wrong. I hope so.

B&N is notable for being terribly behind RPG release dates. I wouldn't put any money on them having AoR BB early. If anything they may have their Jewel of Yavin date mixed with the AoR beginner box date.

Of course, we can just wait until tomorrow to find out for sure.

Of course, we can just wait until tomorrow to find out for sure.

But I want to know now! :)

Well, back when the EotE core rulebook was due to be released, I remember B&N listing an "available" date several days before the projected street date (on a Sunday of all days). Of course, that was before FFG wound up delaying the book's release from first weekend of May to early July.

So it could be that the BegBox is slated for release in the first week of April (would be nice), and that what B&N is showing is when they'll have it in stock. I've known the local B&N in my area to not be too picky about street dates when it comes to RPG products, and simply throw them up on the shelves when they got the books in (picked up a few Saga Edition books a few days early this way).

Well, back when the EotE core rulebook was due to be released, I remember B&N listing an "available" date several days before the projected street date (on a Sunday of all days). Of course, that was before FFG wound up delaying the book's release from first weekend of May to early July.

So it could be that the BegBox is slated for release in the first week of April (would be nice), and that what B&N is showing is when they'll have it in stock. I've known the local B&N in my area to not be too picky about street dates when it comes to RPG products, and simply throw them up on the shelves when they got the books in (picked up a few Saga Edition books a few days early this way).

I think it depends on the product.

Given the hype over the Potter series, breaking street date on that one was begging for trouble. Probably be the same for any major media release, such as the latest novel from a major bestselling author or a major blockbuster from a big-name studio on Blu-Ray/DVD. I suspect the House of Mouse wouldn't be pleased to hear of a store breaking street date on Frozen.

An RPG product meanwhile isn't going to raise anywhere near as much interest if it gets put on shelves a couple days early. Heck, WotC or Paizo are probably just happy their product is getting sold.

Well, it's after midnight CST and the product page has disappeared. I think we have our answer.

The Age of Rebellion Beginner box was not on FFG's list to stores of items releasing in the first half of April. [i am the buyer for a chain of game stores but I have no special inside knowledge of future FFG release dates.] Given their past release schedule these are my best guesses -

April 28 AOR Beginner Box

May 26 AOR Corebook

June 30 AOR GM Screen

July 28 -something for Edge of the Empire, probably not an adventure

August 15th [GenCon only] Force and Destiny Beta

August 25 - maybe something new for AOR or EotE

September - Force and Destiny Beta (general release)

I hope your estimates are close to reality. The EotE beginner and core were way too far apart for my taste.

The Age of Rebellion Beginner box was not on FFG's list to stores of items releasing in the first half of April. [i am the buyer for a chain of game stores but I have no special inside knowledge of future FFG release dates.] Given their past release schedule these are my best guesses -

May 26 AOR Corebook

June 30 AOR GM Screen

That'd sound about right given their release schedule for the past few months, though I suspect the GM screen/kit would be released the same time as the core rulebook (believe that was the case for EotE). Which would leave June open. Could be that FFG won't have anything for July either, as they've not announced anything beyond the Age of Rebellion core rulebook and GM Kit.

May 26 AOR Corebook

June 30 AOR GM Screen

That'd sound about right given their release schedule for the past few months, though I suspect the GM screen/kit would be released the same time as the core rulebook (believe that was the case for EotE). Which would leave June open. Could be that FFG won't have anything for July either, as they've not announced anything beyond the Age of Rebellion core rulebook and GM Kit.

While not announced, we can heavily speculate that there are some three more career books coming out for EoE, and it would be best to get these out before AoR gets into full swing (since it will likely have its own career books and other material). If the screen launches alongside the rulebook, I'd almost think that the remaining months before the F&D beta could be used to get some of those career books out of the way so that they can move onto AoR, since there isn't much sense in getting behind in the releases when you have two other games on the horizon and a ticking clock for a license expiration.

Pure speculation though.

Picked up mine today at my FLGS. They actually had received it on Friday the 18th. Great looking product... nice maps, nice layout and art (as always). Well worth the investment.

Yancy

I pre-ordered mine using a vendor on eBay. I am eagerly awaiting its shipment.