Any other 40k CCG excited about Conquest?

By ymrar, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

I used to play a lot of the old Sabertooth's 40k CCG, until they decided to change everything and lost almost their entire playerbase.

When I saw the cards lined on the newspicture, I had an immediate recollection of gaming with my old cards. I got very excited. Maybe finally we have a 40k card game that actually lasts!

Is there any rumors about the system? Does it have a resemblance to the old card game? I believe FFG owns those assets nowdays, so it would be logical to continue on that work...

edit- Topic misses word player......

Edited by ymrar

At this point you know as much about the system as anyone else that is not a play tester. I wasn't aware that FFG owned former Sabretooth assets.

there are some surface similarities. I think it is clear that they have tried to keep some of the feel with the original, like the planets for example but I think they will be pretty different games

Ymrar

I felt the same when I saw the announcement. It has a similar vibe to the original sabretooth game. I did like the dice mechanic they used but that appears gone. The fight looks to be planet based as well.

I'm glad this is coming out. Looking forward to the presentation and the new 40k game.

dice in card games is a bag of cats. Dice are undeniably fun to use, but I feel these types of card games are all about the mitigation of luck. Dice are just to random for these type of games.. I am glad it is gone.

Well, the old game didn't use dice. Instead there were dice results printed on the card. It was an interesting additional way to balance powerful cards, as they usually put low dice rolls on powerful cards. However, it (among other things) I think added too much complexity to deck building.

I never played the old 40K CCG, but I do like games where cards have multiple uses and having strong cards come with a low combat roll makes sense to me.

Look at Star Wars cards that are weak but have several Force icons on them, or Doomtown where a strong card may come with a low poker value. Just guessing, but it the 40K LCG may put extra Shield icons on "weak" cards too to give them more value and flexibility.

Well, the old game didn't use dice. Instead there were dice results printed on the card. It was an interesting additional way to balance powerful cards, as they usually put low dice rolls on powerful cards. However, it (among other things) I think added too much complexity to deck building.

Yeah that dose sound cool. I only skimmed the original game rules when this was announced... never played it. Didn't realise those were on the cards!

Been playing a lot of Duel of Ages 2 recently.. It uses dice on card results as well and it works great.

I never played the old 40K CCG, but I do like games where cards have multiple uses and having strong cards come with a low combat roll makes sense to me.

Look at Star Wars cards that are weak but have several Force icons on them, or Doomtown where a strong card may come with a low poker value. Just guessing, but it the 40K LCG may put extra Shield icons on "weak" cards too to give them more value and flexibility.

Yeah, I like multiple use cards as well. Pixel Tactics is like the ultimate example of that hehe. Still what makes a great multiple use card is the split decision. It needs to be good for BOTH uses. So you get torn about when and how to play it. A turly food multiple card shouldn't be weak in any area... otherwise way not just make it a single card use in the area it is good at. I think the best example in a board game is Twilight Struggle I am coming up a little short for a pure card game.. I guess Doom Town?

I enjoyed the die-rolling mechanic in Sabertooth 40K a lot. But my favorite "innovation" in that game was the portion of the turn where you turned the cards in your hand upside down to use the functions on their "command line" as extra Battle Actions, Tactics, Modifiers or Events. I loved that game, but it was QUITE dense in the rules and the amount of moving parts. I'll always have a soft-spot in my heart for the idea of revealing the top card of your deck for some random number, though, because it reminds me of the old Star Wars CCG from Decipher from the 1990s. To me, that's likely the best card game ever made and perhaps ever will be. During the run up to Dagobah - just before the Special Edition set came out - it was a thing of beauty.

Seeing the five planets to fight over and units deployed on opposite sites of each location reminds me a great deal of the Sabertooth game, though. Also, Commanders - like Characters in the Sabertooth game - are aligned differently when it comes to their art. Here's hoping that FFG continues it's track record of taking an old game and spicing it up.

Old player here too.

What i've already tested of the new game has already bring me aboard ^_^

There are some similarities, as we already know. And some new improvements yet to be explained. Also, some rules like the double effects as troops or actions in the same card have dissapear (although we get other spicy double uses, shields for example that we already know ^_^ ).

Double sided cards and dice where interesting, and i apreciate it as a long time player. But it added and innecesary level of complexity, and could be abused if properly designing your deck. More OP cards tend to have low dice values, but low dice values were not always bad... if you play with that fact.

I'm glad they removed this from Conquest. Also, it will bring more players, as the initial impact will be a more friendly interface :)