So many questions!

By voidofopinion, in Elder Sign

I picked up Elder Sign and the Expansion after watching it played on Table Top and after reading all the rules, Errata and FAQ I have a flood of questions. While I am sure a lot of it is "Do what makes sense" the old M:tG player in me is reading some of these rules and just saying "This could mean so many things and none of them self explanatory."

If anyone has time (and the desire to help) I would be greatly appreciative of some rules clarifications.

1: When a Monster is placed under an adventure and there is no arrow what happens if the adventure has no monster slot or no arrow... what happens to the monster? Administration Office for example. Can you even put a monster token on a card without an arrow or monster slot?

2: If a monster token is placed under an adventure card with a monster slot but no arrow what happens if the first monster is defeated but the adventure is ultimately failed?

3: When the GOO is Nyarlathotep, do you only use the masked monsters or do you use the masked monsters as well as the standard monsters?\

4: How many spells/items etc can you use in a turn?

Edited by voidofopinion

1. Not... sure I understand the question. A monster under an adventure will always count as an additional task. Lack of an order arrow simply means that you can choose to do the card's tasks in any order you want, including the monster task. You could kill the monster first, for example, if you wanted.

2. Any monsters you kill are removed at the resolution phase. So you could fail an adventure but still claim the monsters. This works to make the adventure easier to pass on your next try. Also, you might have wanted to unlock some dice that were locked on a monster.

3. All monsters with the Masks mixed in. If you used only the Masks you'd have only five monsters in your cup.

4. I don't know. As many as you like I guess, but you're only allowed to add a specific-colored die to your pool once per turn. If you use and discard the red die, for example, you can't add it again that turn even if you have an item to do so.

Thank you!

1 & 2 makes so much more sense now! The penny drops as they say!

3: I thought as much but it just wasnt very clear.

4: So you could effectively stack spell locks if you have the spells for it?

Yes, spells can stack, no probs with that

Good stuff! Seems the use of the spell itself and them being a finite reward balanced out the being able to use multiple spells on your turn thing.

Just played my first game and had a ton of fun!

Another thing... about the gift shop.

I am I right in interpreting the rules as such that if you start your turn on the giftshop and buy an item then you gave up your movement for resolution (to interact with the gift shop) and thus can buy something then move. However, if you complete an adventure and get moved back to the gift shop you can buy something as it is still the resolution phase (before clock)?

Also, if a card has space for a monster and a monster icon, does that mean you have to place a monster on it and defeat it as part of the adventure requirements? Or if there is no monster on it yet, can you skip the monster part? (I ruled the former but I wanted to make sure it was not the latter and I was making things more difficult for my players.)

Edited by voidofopinion

Another thing... about the gift shop.

I am I right in interpreting the rules as such that if you start your turn on the giftshop and buy an item then you gave up your movement for resolution (to interact with the gift shop) and thus can buy something then move. However, if you complete an adventure and get moved back to the gift shop you can buy something as it is still the resolution phase (before clock)?

Also, if a card has space for a monster and a monster icon, does that mean you have to place a monster on it and defeat it as part of the adventure requirements? Or if there is no monster on it yet, can you skip the monster part? (I ruled the former but I wanted to make sure it was not the latter and I was making things more difficult for my players.)

Souvenir Shop (or with expansion any of the non-Adventure "shops"), that's your entire turn, buy something, move clock 3 hours.

"2. Resolution Phase: If the player occupies an Adventure card

or an Other World card, he attempts to resolve it by rolling

dice to complete its tasks. If the player occupies the entrance

sheet, he performs one of the actions listed on the sheet." (p. 6)

Monster task and monster icon in penalty/reward are totally unrelated. Monster tasks mean IF you'd draw a monster for some reason, you have to first place it on a monster task (full white or partial white task) before you can put any under an Adventure. Monster icon as reward means a monster appears after you've completed the Adventure.

Not sure if there are any such Adventures, but if you had monster task + monster icon as penalty and failed that Adventure and it had the only monster task out of all the Adventures in play at the moment, you'd have to draw and put the monster on the monster task. That's about the only time you'll see interaction between monster task and monster icon on one Adventure.

See folks?? This! This is why Magic MUST be stopped. It's just creating an entirely new generation of rules lawyers and the last thing we want i- *takes a good look around*

Nevermind....