Troll regeneration & Riding Horse

By The_Warlock, in Talisman Rules Questions

Q: Can the Troll regenerate if he has a Riding Horse? When exactly does it happen?

You have to roll at least one natural 6 or to totalize 6 for movement?

The_Warlock said:

Q: Can the Troll regenerate if he has a Riding Horse? When exactly does it happen?

You have to roll at least one natural 6 or to totalize 6 for movement?

I say no because it's not on one die.

It's the same with the Reaper. If you are on a horse and you rolled a 1 and a 3, you don't encounter the Reaper.

So it will also not happen for the regenerating of the Troll by rolling a 6 and a 4...

It's a total of 10 and not a 6 alone.

I wonder what Elliot would say.

What exactly say the troll ability? If it say anything as "you regenerate if you roll 6 for your movement" maybe you regenerate if sum of dice is 6 ( a die roll 2 and another a 4 for example).

sorry for random english

Troll has to get a natural 6. There is even a section in the rules about natural vs modified with Troll used as example.

Dam said:

Troll has to get a natural 6. There is even a section in the rules about natural vs modified with Troll used as example.

Yes, I know that paragraph, but it explains a different situation (1 die + a bonus). Here we have 1 die + 1 "bonus die". Since the "Natural vs. Modified Roll" says that the Troll needs a natural 6, if he scores 6 and adds +2 to move eight Spaces, still he can regenerate if he decides not to move.

Same for Riding horse. If one die scores a natural 6, the other is considered a "bonus die" that modifies the roll, so the Troll can regenerate in this case. But which is the natural movement die and which is the bonus die? They can't be either one or the other; your chances to regenerate will be different from normality.

The_Warlock said:

Dam said:

Yes, I know that paragraph, but it explains a different situation (1 die + a bonus). Here we have 1 die + 1 "bonus die". Since the "Natural vs. Modified Roll" says that the Troll needs a natural 6, if he scores 6 and adds +2 to move eight Spaces, still he can regenerate if he decides not to move.

Same for Riding horse. If one die scores a natural 6, the other is considered a "bonus die" that modifies the roll, so the Troll can regenerate in this case. But which is the natural movement die and which is the bonus die? They can't be either one or the other; your chances to regenerate will be different from normality.

If the Troll would regenerate, then the reaper may also be activated on a 1 and a 4.. gui%C3%B1o.gif

As Dam said: The troll needs a natural 6 on one die. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Yep, for me troll may only regenerate due to normal move , not move affected by anything else (cards, character abilities of anything else).

Hi !

This is how we play it..... If the Troll rolls a "6" on any die/dice for his movement then he can Regenerate. Ex 6+2 is OK for Regenerate. (on two dice)

The same for the Reaper. If a player rolls a "1" on any die/dice for his movement the Reaper is activated and moves. Ex 3+1 is OK. (on two dice)

I think that rolls a " 6" or a " 1" is the number "1" or "6" on any die/dice and not the sum of many dice.

It may be right it may be wrong.............

Mickli said:

Hi !

This is how we play it..... If the Troll rolls a "6" on any die/dice for his movement then he can Regenerate. Ex 6+2 is OK for Regenerate. (on two dice)

The same for the Reaper. If a player rolls a "1" on any die/dice for his movement the Reaper is activated and moves. Ex 3+1 is OK. (on two dice)

I think that rolls a " 6" or a " 1" is the number "1" or "6" on any die/dice and not the sum of many dice.

It may be right it may be wrong.............

I am not allowing it.

You could say that if you roll for the horse, then the troll has not roll for his own move. He use the horse to roll 2 dices.

The troll states, that if he roll a 6 for his move he may regenerate etc

And that will happen on one die gui%C3%B1o.gif (Same as Reaper)

Only rolling a 6 when you roll 1 die, yes i think that is better because if you check both dice then you have a big advantage for the reaper, rolling 2 dice double (i think) your possibility to move the death on others. I dont have the reaper at this moment , you can decide to not use the horse? or he force you to roll 2 dice? if it is optional then it is ok so troll can decide to not use it to try to regenerate. The main reason because i think 1 die rule is necessary is because the reaper really.

Andraax said:

Only rolling a 6 when you roll 1 die, yes i think that is better because if you check both dice then you have a big advantage for the reaper, rolling 2 dice double (i think) your possibility to move the death on others. I dont have the reaper at this moment , you can decide to not use the horse? or he force you to roll 2 dice? if it is optional then it is ok so troll can decide to not use it to try to regenerate. The main reason because i think 1 die rule is necessary is because the reaper really.

Yes, you can choose for not using the horse. gui%C3%B1o.gif

So if you want to try to regenerate, you must move as normal by rolling a 6 on one die.

How about this as a compromise? If the Troll is using a horse or other movement modifier, allow the player to check for regeneration every turn by rolling a separate die. If he gets a '6', he regens. This is separate and non-reliant on any movement such as the Blizzard or Poltergeist. A Troll (or Wolverine even?) should regenerate even if standing still, right?

If the troll is rolling two dice for movement, we roll each separately with only the first one being the deciding factor as to whether he gets to regenerate or not.

That way he still has only a 1 in 6 chance of doing so, and the player doesn't feel 'robbed' for maybe getting a six on an extra roll (as above) that he may have wanted as movement.

RmB303 said:

If the troll is rolling two dice for movement, we roll each separately with only the first one being the deciding factor as to whether he gets to regenerate or not.

That way he still has only a 1 in 6 chance of doing so, and the player doesn't feel 'robbed' for maybe getting a six on an extra roll (as above) that he may have wanted as movement.

This here is the best solution.

You may also wish to roll a different kind of die and only count the result of the Talisman die for game effects.

Why do people want a bonus from the troll if he use a horse.?

You can decide yourself if you want to use the horse or not. stick with the original rules and accept it or not gui%C3%B1o.gif

Velhart said:

You can decide yourself if you want to use the horse or not. stick with the original rules and accept it or not gui%C3%B1o.gif

Troll regeneration is not a bonus. It happens when Troll rolls a 6 for his move and player decides to regenerate instead of moving 6 spaces.

I don't think that the Riding Horse should prevent Troll from regenerating. Think of the Flying Carpet: if the Troll rolls a 6 he can either 1) move six spaces, or 2) teleport to any other space in the region, or 3) heal one life instead of moving. Regeneration is a typical feature for a Troll in fantasy settings and it happens if the Troll rolls a 6 and chooses to stay. I can accept that a nasty Poltergeist or Blizzard can stop Troll's regeneration, but we should think of a way to allow it also while riding a horse.

The Backlash user proposed a good solution, but as you say it might have the problem of Reaper triggering if you don't decide to ignore it. In absence of clarification, I rule that a total of six on two dice allows the Troll to regenerate if player wishes. If you want to talk about probabilities, 6 on one die is 16,666666%; 6 on two dice is 13,87%, slightly lower.

Literally this is not "to roll a 6", it's "to roll 6", but don't you think we're going a bit too far with literal rule interpretations?

The_Warlock said:

Velhart said:

Troll regeneration is not a bonus. It happens when Troll rolls a 6 for his move and player decides to regenerate instead of moving 6 spaces.

I don't think that the Riding Horse should prevent Troll from regenerating. Think of the Flying Carpet: if the Troll rolls a 6 he can either 1) move six spaces, or 2) teleport to any other space in the region, or 3) heal one life instead of moving. Regeneration is a typical feature for a Troll in fantasy settings and it happens if the Troll rolls a 6 and chooses to stay. I can accept that a nasty Poltergeist or Blizzard can stop Troll's regeneration, but we should think of a way to allow it also while riding a horse.

The Backlash user proposed a good solution, but as you say it might have the problem of Reaper triggering if you don't decide to ignore it. In absence of clarification, I rule that a total of six on two dice allows the Troll to regenerate if player wishes. If you want to talk about probabilities, 6 on one die is 16,666666%; 6 on two dice is 13,87%, slightly lower.

Literally this is not "to roll a 6", it's "to roll 6", but don't you think we're going a bit too far with literal rule interpretations?

Flying Carpet is different from horse.

A troll may use regenerating if he roll a 6 for his move but he can also use the carpet.

If the troll use his horse. ( you have already rolled the two dices. then it's not his move anymore( it's the move of the horse.

A troll may not heal then.

I stick with this.

PS: i am almost sure that the intention of the ability of the troll can only be activated on one die. That goes also for the reaper.

Slightly off topic - if the Troll decides to heal and remains in the same place, does he still draw an Adventure Card if possible, or effectively misses this opportunity in order to heal?

Cailus said:

Slightly off topic - if the Troll decides to heal and remains in the same place, does he still draw an Adventure Card if possible, or effectively misses this opportunity in order to heal?

Isn't it written on the Character Card that his turn ends immediately if he regenerates?