Reanimated Marines

By WatchCaptainCassius, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

So for the campaign I'm running the kill team is investigating a 10,000 year old imperial distress beacon out in the western reach and I was thinking what if the horrible calamity that befell the 2nd and 11th legions was that one was killed and reanimated and the other was decimated trying to destroy them. I could use some feedback on this.

Well to be fair it is open as to what happened with those legions. Some sources claim the Emperor himself purged them from all records and got rid of the two primarchs himself, others say that they were disbanded and their numbers distributed among the other chapters. One of them though was claimed to have some invisibility which, since it doesnt exist for Imperial forces suggests either something new or the Emperor had a son who was a blank and so cant find him.

Because it's never been fully explained you might be able to get away with using anything really.

One of them though was claimed to have some invisibility which, since it doesnt exist for Imperial forces suggests either something new or the Emperor had a son who was a blank and so cant find him.

Whoa, a chapter of blank SpaceMarines. And one of the old ones (not limited to 1000)!

yeah I heard the theory about the blanks but it seems more widespread than what I had planned and most of my group sits on lexicanum and read fluff so I decided to take it in this direction using a slightly different form of the Enslavers. These Enslavers infested the 11th Primarch on his world of origin so when he brought his legion there they all became enslaved, except for a few hundred who were fighting the others. At which point the Emperor dispatched the 2nd legion to destroy them with the Space Wolves and, during the fighting, the 2nd was reduced below combat strength. so while the imperium was victorious it lost two legions and the survivors were integrated into the ultramarines as dictated by the fluff.

Edited by WatchCaptainCassius

yeah I heard the theory about the blanks but it seems more widespread than what I had planned and most of my group sits on lexicanum and read fluff .....

As a GM don't worry about this for anything. If a PC calls you out on something just look them dead in the eye and say

'Everything you have been told is a lie'

P.S If you want to know more about how this works I'd suggest reading the classic dystopian novel '1984'.

For the record the idea of a Necromantic Lost Primarch with a Chapter of Zombie/wraith Astartes could be quite creepy. Personally wouldn't use both Legions though. Not because of any background contradictions just because narratively I feel it ties up too many loose ends.

I agree that the use of both legions seems a bit heavy handed, however the second and eleventh will be more integral to my campaign than I had originally intended. in the next part of the campaign could have the kill team getting assistance from the last surviving member of the 2nd legion. and if they're a little bit lucky and use their heads they wont even be fighting the 11th's dead marines. in fact that's one of the hidden objectives. Also I agree on your mentality about handling the PCs and I love 1984 it was such a good book.

Well the mission did not go very well..... the librarian had an issue while they were going to the planet's surface. He had read that teleporters were not very reliable so he tried to use Gate of Infinity on the entire ship. Needless to say he failed with a 100 and then rolled badly on both psychic failure table and then the perils of the warp table. He turned into a daemon Prince and managed to awaken the undead marines and primarch and then failed all three objectives. The survivors barely escaped and the tactical lost a hand.

Well the mission did not go very well..... the librarian had an issue while they were going to the planet's surface. He had read that teleporters were not very reliable so he tried to use Gate of Infinity on the entire ship. Needless to say he failed with a 100 and then rolled badly on both psychic failure table and then the perils of the warp table. He turned into a daemon Prince and managed to awaken the undead marines and primarch and then failed all three objectives. The survivors barely escaped and the tactical lost a hand.

All in a day's work.

yeah pretty much

I think that this idea might need to be scrapped after the last session since they managed to righteous fury the 11th primarch to death and then rapidfired his cruiser, captain slaughter style and theyre all gone.....

I think that this idea might need to be scrapped after the last session since they managed to righteous fury the 11th primarch to death and then rapidfired his cruiser, captain slaughter style and theyre all gone.....

Wait, wait, wait. They managed to kill a Primarch?

Would you mind to post his stats because to me it sounds like you made him to weak unless everyone roll liked 5 or 6 Righteous Fury in a row.

WS 120 BS 120 S 95 T 100 Ag 90 Int 110 Per 60 WP 110 Fel 90 and they used a naval cannon that they found and repaired on his Battle Barge

He should have just dodged it or something. Angron held up a Warhound singlehandedly if a Vindicare can dodge it a Primarch definitely can. He should have had Unnatural Speed x5. Primarchs move so fast even Space Marines have trouble seeing them.

Just saying that even Horus had a double.

I agree but this primary had been enslaved by the Enslavers so even though his body had the capability to dodge it the Enslaved would have trouble using his power as if it were its own thus rendering his unnatural speed to a 3x instead of a 5 and that campaign ended during that session because of several issues I was having integrating the story into 40k fluff reasonably.

He should have just dodged it or something. Angron held up a Warhound singlehandedly if a Vindicare can dodge it a Primarch definitely can. He should have had Unnatural Speed x5. Primarchs move so fast even Space Marines have trouble seeing them.

Depending on the story you read... Angron didn't look that invul in GW's rules.

How powerful a Primarch is depends heavily on one's interpretation. Especially considering that Rogal Dorn apparently died boarding a random cruiser. Black Library's Horus Heresy novels are just one of many options.

You mean... everything I have ever been told is a lie? :mellow: Who knew.

lol Dorn didn't die he cut his hand off and is protecting the Emperor on Terra ( which is his job anyway) disguised as an Adeptus Custodes, Also Ferrus probably isnt dead either..........cause he's part Necron.....

I never use epic-level legendary foes. If I did the whole party would die...every time. Never fudge a die roll. Never give the party a break. Never use primarchs.

i didnt give em a break....to be honest i fully expected them to die i was getting annoyed at several of the players and this was meant to be a campaign reset situation. However the ringleader is actually a really nice guy and a great roleplayer, sometimes a bit too good he rolled to look around while the primarch was unveiling his master plan and used his mechadendrites to interface with a cannon in the room and shot him with it and while i could have made some bull about a power field or dynamic intervention or something i didnt cause at some point you have to stop beating the dead horse and get a new one.