A scrum in a defensive environment

By Krishakh, in Warhammer: Diskwars

Hi Diskwargeeks!

This is my debut on FFG Forum and, since I'm Polish, English is not my first language, so, please, be forgiving if I'll make any faux pas, both technically and lexically.

I've got one simple question about specific scrum I encountered:

Disk A and B are standing on a Hill.

Disk C flip onto them and pin them both (overlapping a small part of Hill itself, but not literally - being hold "above the ground" by A and B).

Then disk D comes to rescue and flip over disk C.

My question is: does "defensive" quality from the Hill affects disk C? Did he get the Swift on his Counterattack in the clash with disk D? And - if D enter the same Hill - did he get the same ability in case somebody would like to get on top of him?

I mean - is it right to give a Defensive bonus to an attacker?

And one side-question: is ranged damage dealt immadietaly (and killed disk are taken from the battlefield just after recievieng damage equal or greater to its toughness)? I think yes, but I want to make sure.

If You could answer these questions, I will be very greatful.

Whish You all some great Diskwars battles!

In your first example, Disk C can be both an attacker and defender. Vs Disk D, it is the Defender and would gain Swift. Just because a disk stops another from physically overlapping the terrain it would not stop it from gaining the benefits as long as it would overlap if there were no interfering disks. The same applies to disk D. One of the examples in the rulebook has a situation similar to this where a disk is both the attacker and defender. The addition of terrain does not change the way it would play out unless the disk would actually not benefit (IE if it overlaps disks A and B but does not overlap the terrain itself. Or if disk D overlapped disk C, but not the terrain)

In your first example, Disk C would have Swift against Disk D, and disks A and B would have Swift against disk C. In the example given, if Disk C's counter attack was sufficient it would kill Disk D. The scrum would then resolve with Disks A and B having Swfit attacks on Disk C.

In your second example, yes, ranged attacks are still attacks, and there is (currently) no ranged counter attack option available, so the destroyed disks are removed from play immediately. Double checking the rules, unless I missed something you are unable to shoot into melee combats going on, so there is no reason for the disk not to be removed if it is fatal damage.

Edited by Westonard

Double checking the rules, unless I missed something you are unable to shoot into melee combats going on, so there is no reason for the disk not to be removed if it is fatal damage.

Ranged attacks happen during the Activation phase, before Melee begins, so of course you cannot "shoot into melee combats going on". However there is nothing keeping you from shooting into an existing pinning/pinned situation. The rules specifically say you can do a ranged attack against a disk you are pinning, although you'd be risking scatter damage to yourself. You can also make a ranged attack against an ally, though the situations where you'd want to are limited. A disk cannot, however, make a ranged attack against itself.

I was doubtful about that part:

Double checking the rules, unless I missed something you are unable to shoot into melee combats going on, so there is no reason for the disk not to be removed if it is fatal damage.

But, I think ziggy2000 clarified this for me.

Thanks for Your replies!