Put me through boot camp

By conormacmillen, in X-Wing

Howdy all,

So i have been playing X-wing on and off since launch and i find that I really love the game. However, I also have come to the realization that I am genuinely pretty terrible at it. This is likely due to a combination of poor spatial relations, inefficient list building, and a relative inability to think multiple turns ahead.

Now, i am one of the least competitive people ever, but even i would like to rack up the occasional "W" every once in a while.

So i have come here, to appeal to the collective knowledge of you all, to gain some advice to up my game. I am looking for advice in list building, ways to practice solo, and just general bits of advice, tips, and tactics.

Here is some info to work with:

I play almost exclusively Imperials, and especially love named pilots.

I frequent quite a few forums for x-wing, trying to gather as much theory as possible.

Because of a full-time job and a writing career that is starting to take off, i don't get much opportunity to actually play (probably a game night every two to three weeks)

Here are a couple of lists i am looking at running:

Kath Scarlet (38)
Expert Handling (2)
Seismic Charges (2)
Rebel Captive (3)
Lieutenant Lorrir (23)
Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Fire-Control System (2)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Total: 100
or

Carnor Jax (26)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Lieutenant Lorrir (23)
Stealth Device (3)
"Howlrunner" (18)
Academy Pilot (12)
Academy Pilot (12)
or

Lieutenant Lorrir (23)
Stealth Device (3)
Turr Phennir (25)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Stealth Device (3)
Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Fire-Control System (2)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Obsidian Squadron Pilot (13)
Thanks all, and i look forward to basking in your shared knowledge.

This is a game of dice. No one is able to beat the dice, but you can give your self the advantage, I for one have really terrible evade rolls no matter what the ship or the number of dice im rolling lots of blanks or lots of focus with no focus token. I wouldnt call myself a good player, I really dont think i am good. I think i have really good dumb luck. Where i make manoeuvres they probably saw way in advance but didnt think id be so stupid to try and do them or of the likes.

I played in my first tournament and was playing for 1st place i was more surprised then anything.

Key to success is run something you like, and something your comfortable with. for me, Its the X-wing ever since i started playing, i always ran x-wings and i loved having an all xwing squadron.

Its important to find a ship you like using and just know how to run it accordingly. You never know you could get insanely lucky and take worlds it all just comes down to the dice.

Viewing your lists. it seems like you like Interceptors (Namely Lorir) and the shuttle. Both very good ships. The key is to find the list that they excel at most. The Buzzsaw lambda is a really cool ship that can deal a ton of damage and take the hits. I also love Interceptors their high risk high reward make for very entertaining games.

I dont normal;lly take SD because i think 3 points on an ability that can be lost is a waste. But It can be very helpful if your a lucky SoB.

I like your last list the best. 4 ships with a big base is pretty good. the obsidian can be used as a blocker i may even say to drop him to an academy just because. you have a mini fel with turr and VI and lorrir will be so good at setting up kill shots. with the Lambda laying waste from afar. ( cant remember if the lamda can take 2 crew or not. maybe find the points to fit a Weapons engineer on him so he can hold two locks.)

A lot of people have problems with the issues you face. My best advice I can give you is to play as much as possible. The more games you get under your belt the more tricks you can pick up. Try to play different opponents, if you always play the same people you will most likely not see new things. If time really is a problem for you and you cannot get in lots of games practice at home, take your biggest problem and replay it over and over, example I see you like to have the shuttle in your lists. If you are having a hard time turning the alabaster void bison around or manoeuvring around asteroids or flying off the edge. Set up some asteroids place your shuttle and just try turning and boosting over and over again get the feel for it. Then try flying backwards, I know it sounds weird but if you set yourself up so your ship 'just clears' the asteroid and then try to fly backwards with various manoeuvres you can see which will work and what won't to get the desired result. I also see you like the interceptor again set up different enemy ships and try approaching from different angles to get used to what combo of barrel roll and boost work best to get out of arc and yet keep him in yours. You will be surprised after a few nights of practice how much will come up in a game and you will say to yourself oh if I do x like I practiced then y should happen. And if you come up with a new problem or fatal error that happened during a game use that as your next practice topic!

Try not to worry about squad building to much there are so many variables that can win/lose any game of X-wing, yes squad building is one of them but generally as long as you aren't trying to put a stealth device on your shuttle or engine upgrade on an interceptor, builds will develop in time. Asteroid placement is huge!

A great vid on asteroid placement

Then there is initial placement set your ships up in various starting positions the go from there do you want to stay tight? Do you like to have multiple flankers? Do you wanna slow play. Try them out.

Hope I helped and good luck.

And btw I am also an Imperial heavy player and have personally done all of the above mentioned tips and must say they do help me!

Alright Pilot... you may have been hot $h1t back in school, but Schools OUT!

Now boy... hop to it! I need to know which one of our glorious Navy's ships you prefer to fly before I can give you a real mission. In the mean time, hop some of our training models and try this out:

Place all the asteroids you own & all your dice on your playing surface. Really just toss em out there. Take each of your ships and line them up along the edge. You must get each ship to it's opposite edge and back without crashing into an asteroid or another ship.

Come back alive and I'll give you another mission. Looks like you enjoy interceptors, I have just the thing...

Kath Scarlet (38)

Expert Handling (2)

Seismic Charges (2)

Rebel Captive (3)

Lieutenant Lorrir (23)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)

Fire-Control System (2)

Gunner (5)

Engine Upgrade (4)

That list is hard to fly well. Its similar to Scarlet Cowgirl, a list i helped develop here on the forums. It uses 2x Academy Pilots in place of your sesimic/Lt. Lorrir. Hothie is currently running a variant called Bareback Cowboy that uses backstabber in the mix and advanced sensors over gunner/FCS on the omicron - pretty interesting list because he is moving some of his firepower from the shuttle to provide a harder hitting flanker with backstabber. Both these lists require LOTS of flying to get the hang of and are rather unforgiving of mistakes. The payoff is its a really fun squad and pretty competitive against everything imo.

Place all the asteroids you own & all your dice on your playing surface. Really just toss em out there. Take each of your ships and line them up along the edge. You must get each ship to it's opposite edge and back without crashing into an asteroid or another ship.

Come back alive and I'll give you another mission. Looks like you enjoy interceptors, I have just the thing...

I think i may do this just to see all my ships on the board at once.

One pro tip I have is before every match I look at an opponents squad and verbalize what it is trying to do.

Take the last game I played

Wedge

Ibi APT, and FCS

Kyle Katarn loaded up

After looking at this I knew it was his goal to use a range 2-3 shot with ibi aqcuire a TL and use his Advance Proton Torps, if he was action denied he could still get a focus from kyle.

I was running a Shuttle, Howl VI, Mauler VI, Backstabber, BSP with DTF.

I knew I had to use my shuttle up close and personal to keep IBI locked down and create a jam disrupting kyle as well.

Verbalizing what your opponent does can throw them for a loop as well and make them try new maneuvers since you have called out their plans openly. Internalize what you need to do and go from there.

Doing this also helps you start to think ahead of yourself as you decide were you need to be to fight your opponent. It also allows you to think about where your opponent needs to be to pull off his combos (if any)

This exactly what i was hoping to get here. Amazing advice all. Thanks much.

I have done a little asteroid solo flying, but I think that really needs to become a couple nights a week event.

Yes sir! This sounds like exactly the type of training flights i need to run. I am partial to named interceptors, particularly Lorir and Turr

Will let you know how I do with running the obstacle course.

That list is hard to fly well. Its similar to Scarlet Cowgirl, a list i helped develop here on the forums. It uses 2x Academy Pilots in place of your sesimic/Lt. Lorrir. Hothie is currently running a variant called Bareback Cowboy that uses backstabber in the mix and advanced sensors over gunner/FCS on the omicron - pretty interesting list because he is moving some of his firepower from the shuttle to provide a harder hitting flanker with backstabber. Both these lists require LOTS of flying to get the hang of and are rather unforgiving of mistakes. The payoff is its a really fun squad and pretty competitive against everything imo.

Thanks for the heads up on this, Brown Bomber. I have been following your Scarlet Cowgirl thread and huge respect to you and all the others working on that build. It is one i would love to one day fly. But definitely good to know it might not be the best right now in the "boot camp" phase.

Doing this also helps you start to think ahead of yourself as you decide were you need to be to fight your opponent. It also allows you to think about where your opponent needs to be to pull off his combos (if any)

Thanks Macar. I think this is the type of exercise that will really help. Great point.

Overall, this is shaping up to be an excellent collection of advice, not just for me but for any new or struggling player. Huge thanks and keep the tips coming!

Most of you lists look good. The only thing I would point out about them is you don't want a stealth device on a ship with only one agility. I know it seems to fix your ships flaw, but it goes away as soon as your ship is hit. And with only 2 agility dice that won't take to long.

As for how to play there are lots of advice I could give, but it is hard to show on a board. But I will say that one of the reasons why X-wing is my favorite table top mini game is because of how important game play is.

1st piece of advice on how to play. Before you plan your moves, try to plan your opponents moves. I like to imagine a sort of probability cloud for where they are likely to be. Use your guess as to what your opponent will do to plan your own moves. Being a great tactician is about predicting your opponents moves and countering them. This is hard and it takes practice. But as you play you can asses yourself on how well you think you did at predicting where your opponents was going to go and what he/she was going to do.

2nd piece of advice is a little simpler. Use Base Lengths you eyeball distances. A move of 1 is the same distance as the length of the base, so if you move 1 you will actually more 2 forward, the length of the tie and the length of the base. Large bases are twice this. So if you move 1 with a YT-1300 you really have moved forward 3 normal bases sizes.

And don't forget to do them all in order of PS ROOKIE! no cheating on that one (you have to plan ahead). It would also benefit you to not start them all on the same side.

Mission 2:

Throw them roids out there at random again. Take your basic interceptor and fly 360 around every one of them! Yep. Complete a circle around every one. Next, try it with a PTL interceptor. After that, take Lorrir through the same gauntlet. Then your ready to fly the Empire's finest!

FOR THE GLORY OF THE EMPIRE!

Alright Pilot... you may have been hot $h1t back in school, but Schools OUT!

Now boy... hop to it! I need to know which one of our glorious Navy's ships you prefer to fly before I can give you a real mission. In the mean time, hop some of our training models and try this out:

And don't forget to do them all in order of PS ROOKIE! no cheating on that one (you have to plan ahead). It would also benefit you to not start them all on the same side.

Mission 2:

Throw them roids out there at random again. Take your basic interceptor and fly 360 around every one of them! Yep. Complete a circle around every one. Next, try it with a PTL interceptor. After that, take Lorrir through the same gauntlet. Then your ready to fly the Empire's finest!

This is awesome. I think I will do this during my boot camp (trying to get my brother better at flying/maneuvering).

Instructor Rakky Wistol might just turn these maggots into pilots worthy of serving the Empire yet!

TIE Pilots: No Shields. All Guts.

Thats awesome Rakki! Do more!

Again, huge thanks to all for the advice in this thread.

So i have been practicing my asteroid flying, and I have to say it has been a tremendous help. Also, I have started the Interceptor asteroid loop course as suggested, and it has been a great learning curve. Definitely need a few more runs at it before i feel totally comfortable with my squints, but definitely helpful.

I would recommend Instructor Rakky's course for any beginner looking to up their game.

I also decided on a list for the next few months. This will be what i will learn to fly and field on the table.

Turr Phennir (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Fire-Control System (2)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Saber Squadron Pilot (21)
Push the Limit (3)
Academy Pilot (12)
Total: 99
I will adjust a bit when Aces are legal. Any thoughts on the list?
Also, i know enough to know I will be using my Academy pilot as a blocker, so anyone have good blocking advice?

Solid list. Will play a lot like my "Baron's Focus" list. I've been back with Turr after a lot of Fel flying and really like his ability.

Next up, the ambush!

Deploy asteroids as usual. Throw out a proximity mine or 2 for fun!

On each asteroid place a pip on each asteroid #1-however many you have + 2 with an X on them. Distribute #'s randomly.

Your stock ships start on the same edge.

Your goal is to get your ships across the field twice. Pac-man style, after they pass once they respawn back on the other side.

Ships activate in PS order and rounds are the same as in game with one exception: may do a 1 speed maneuver instead of an attack.

Each time a ship respawns, shuffle some asteroids around and respawn an asteroid pip or 2.

Every time you get within range 1 of an asteroid flip the pip.

-On odd #'s there's an enemy ship.

---Enemy ships launch from asteroids when revealed (any one maneuver) and att in PS order.

---Enemy ships can be low lvl ships of any sort (I use tie droids, bombers, and 1 named usually)

-On even #'s there's upgrade points (you can randomly assign these as well).

-If an X is revealed it's a BH! (Firespray-31)

You collect upgrade points by landing on the asteroid! (taking no damage for doing so but no actions or attacks).

Upgrade ships as they earn points.

Your true objective is not to lose any ships... but frankly academy pilot... You're flying Empire. Death will take us all.

I'm just going to make the comment that a Lambda is not a forgiving ship to learn on. Even in the hands of experienced pilots (I played hothie on vassal twice last weekend) and with EU, it spends multiple turns coming around for a second opportunity to fire.

It's pretty rough if you're not expecting this, and it makes it a real challenge to maximize its potential.

The heavenly hipposhuttlebus isn't for everyone... but those who learn on it will learn to appreciate the grace of the albino void manatee.

Solid list. Will play a lot like my "Baron's Focus" list. I've been back with Turr after a lot of Fel flying and really like his ability.

Next up, the ambush!

Deploy asteroids as usual. Throw out a proximity mine or 2 for fun!

On each asteroid place a pip on each asteroid #1-however many you have + 2 with an X on them. Distribute #'s randomly.

Your stock ships start on the same edge.

Your goal is to get your ships across the field twice. Pac-man style, after they pass once they respawn back on the other side.

Ships activate in PS order and rounds are the same as in game with one exception: may do a 1 speed maneuver instead of an attack.

Each time a ship respawns, shuffle some asteroids around and respawn an asteroid pip or 2.

Every time you get within range 1 of an asteroid flip the pip.

-On odd #'s there's an enemy ship.

---Enemy ships launch from asteroids when revealed (any one maneuver) and att in PS order.

---Enemy ships can be low lvl ships of any sort (I use tie droids, bombers, and 1 named usually)

-On even #'s there's upgrade points (you can randomly assign these as well).

-If an X is revealed it's a BH! (Firespray-31)

You collect upgrade points by landing on the asteroid! (taking no damage for doing so but no actions or attacks).

Upgrade ships as they earn points.

Your true objective is not to lose any ships... but frankly academy pilot... You're flying Empire. Death will take us all.

I second this. Make a super crowded board of asteroids, and get used to what maneuvers you need to get around them. Also, practice flying in formation.

If you're up for it, there is also an ai html program for some ships, you can practice playing against them. I don't remember where the link is (I'm not on my home computer either) if someone would be kind enough to link it.

My description of the X-wing vs. Tie's...told to someone who has to try the difference ship for the first time:

The cream of the Alliance

X-wing- Every rebel players trustworthy soldier, solid build and has a good aim. In any unknown situation never doubt this guy.

Y-wing- The veteran carries a great number of difference weapons, the old fighter might not be the first on the battlefield but a the right time this old ship will make a a impact on the battlefield.

Millennium Falcon- this is the tank with a deadly turret. Flown by the right captain with a crew who works together it can achieve all most everything . Hard to flank, harder to kill.

A-wing- The gentleman thief, little, silent and quick but deadly if it get up closed behind you. If he get caught he will slip away faster that lighting.

Hawk- The wing-man, either it will make your aim more deadly keep you focused or just makes sure you take the first shot. If the enemy is at closed range the ship can fight on its own.

B-wing-The Boxer which can take and deliver some real beating, with the right gloves he can dance like butterfly and sting like bee. But the fighter can also achieve on of the ring most devastating punch.

The Empire's finest

Tie-The brave tin soldier, cheap to make and comes in a bundle. Alone the ship is weak but deadly in overwhelming numbers.

Tie Advance- your big bad brother, he do not fear the wraith of anybody (certainly not your parents) in an one on one fight he can keep up which the worst of the worst.

Tie Interceptor- The musketeer dances around his victims with his sharp daggers, he might be fragile but with the right moves will leave bleeding wounds.

Tie Bomber- the fat bully in the school yard, he might be slow and look lazy but he do do some special tricks up in his sleeves. He might try to leave the trouble behind him.

Fire-Spray 31: the pirate ship is a hunter who seek out his prey and lets nothing leaves no bounty behind.

Shuttle-The white whale swims in deeps of the dark universe looking for prey. Be like Ahab and do not fear to to go to your own dismissed to get revenge.

Edited by warrasmus

He was a brave lad. Lost many a new pilot an that ambush run. Back to the drawing board. Maybe he'll limp back yet, them BH are known to take prisoners...they sell me back to thier families cheap. We put right back in a tie and send em back out. Nothing improves an Academy graduates aim like the heat of revenge!

Do not fear the dark side. Embrace it. Only by letting your true self be known will you survive out there in the void. Trust those feelings.

Clearly he didn't make it...oh well... the academy is really pumping them out these days...

and someone else requested a bump to this thread.

This cadet is happy to report that the rumors of his demise are greatly exaggerated.

After running the practice exercises, had my first game in a while. I ran:

Lieutenant Lorrir — TIE Interceptor 23

Turr Phennir — TIE Interceptor 25

Push the Limit 3

Stealth Device 3

Targeting Computer 2

Royal Guard TIE 0

Omicron Group Pilot — Lambda-Class Shuttle 21

Fire-Control System 2

Gunner 5

Engine Upgrade 4

Academy Pilot — TIE Fighter 12

Against a named b wing (Ib, I think, with upgrades and ptl), 2 A's running ptl and the refit card coming in rebel aces, and a rookie X.

Had a good run but ultimately lost. The practice with the interceptor made a huge difference. Both Turr and Lorrir were great and dangerous. I definitely need to go back to shuttle school though, or perhaps replace the shuttle with something with a smaller base.

Sorry cadet, you all look alike these days... Academy must be doing something right for once!

Check out Instructor SableG's Lamda flight school for tip and trix flying the beast. As far as further training goes:

Start with your typical squad set up with the following list:

Yorr + Vader + Advanced Sen

Howlrunner + PTL + stealth

Academy Pilot x4

On the other side place the following:

Prototype

Blue squad

Rookie + r2

Gold squad

Rebel Op+ Ion

The goal isn't actually to destroy the rebel scum... well it is... but not so easily! Lord Vader gets very angry when things don't go his way... and that really stresses out Cpt. Yorr...He can only handle so much, especially trying to keep Lord Vader happy AND fly that beast!

The rebels in this instance are just dummy pilots... they maneuver as you tell them and they always shoot the closest target. The real goal is to use your academies as blockers for Yorr and Vader. Vader really really wants these scum dead (apparently while he was fiddling with the dials on X1 in the hanger and these dummy bots bumped him or some such silliness... but you know how our Lord Vader gets!). If there is a rebel ship that is in range and Yorr doesn't have a shot, Vader takes his anger out on your force! Since Yorr is already so stressed, he receives a stress token whenever our Lady Howlrunner isn't in range to calm him down (If she is not in range 1).

Eliminate the Rebels 1 by 1 by whatever means necessary but beware not having a shot with Yorr or having Howlrunner near Yorr to help calm him down.

Good luck Cadet(s).

this whole thread is genius!

Enjoying a lot Rakky's lessons

Thanks