Call item size limitations

By Twillera, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

So a player in my group is interested in taking the call item power, and im a little curious about it. It seems like a pretty cool power, but a little vague on what it can summon. It says an item that is small and light enough to be carried in one hand, but what exactly does this encompass. A power sword or even a regular sword for example can be carried in one hand, but is in no way small, in the case of a power sword being about the same weight and size as a auto gun. Most melee weapons do not give off the impression of being small or light, but are able to be wielded in one hand. Do you guys have any advice on what is appropriate to be summoned with this power?

. A power sword or even a regular sword for example can be carried in one hand, but is in no way small

It's positively tiny, compared to a Leman Russ tank though :)

I may be a bit laissez faire, but I've had no problems with allowing it to affect eg. any non-heavy weapon.

Specifically Force Swords.

Armour is more tricky, and it's hard to generalize about other types of gear.

Edited by Tenebrae

My rule of thumb was imagine your character has holding their hand out palm up. Now put the item in the hand (not gripping it) Could the character easily hold or balance the item? If yes it can be summoned if not then it can't.

This is just my spin, no reason why you shouldn't use Tenebrae's way though.

I've yet to run into this power, but I would allow quite a few things. Nothing like full size rifles or weapons, but I would allow pistols, compact basic weapons or smaller weapons. Such as a power dagger, things like that. But after reading Tenebrae's response, I think I would allow a force staff or other items of that nature...

I would like to formally state that I am convinced that it is intended to allow the psyker to summon "his" force sword - it's a jedi rip-off.

Hijacking the thread a bit here.....

So the range of the power is listed as 10m, is that saying that it has to be within 10m when you summon it to you, or that it can arrive within 10m of your location?

Edit: Dur, I just realized that I was looking at the Summon Object major arcana. My question still stands, it just might not be as related. :P

Furthermore, Summon Object is also vague. Can you just summon anything you can think of, or does it have to be linked in some way?

Edited by Nerdynick

Furthermore, Summon Object is also vague. Can you just summon anything you can think of, or does it have to be linked in some way?

The entry in the minor power says that the Psyker must spend an hour preparing the item to be summoned, and that only one item can be prepared in this way at a time.

I reiterate, the power I was looking at was a Major Arcana sorcery power from the Radical's Handbook.

Rule Of Cool: if a power can be used to spectacular effect to make everyone think ThatThingYouJustDIdWasAwesomeLikeWowDoItAgain then waive any doubts and just go with it. I like the idea of a cornered unarmed acolyte suddenly having a power sword in his hands and tearing through an unwitting foe

My rule of thumb was imagine your character has holding their hand out palm up. Now put the item in the hand (not gripping it) Could the character easily hold or balance the item? If yes it can be summoned if not then it can't.

;)

I can hold/balance a (non-Great) sword on the palm of one hand and have no doubt so could you.

Likewise most basic weapons can be balanced in one hand - you don't necessarily want to hold them like that for very long, but it can be done easily enough for short periods of time.

Mind you, readying them is another matter entirely!

I reiterate, the power I was looking at was a Major Arcana sorcery power from the Radical's Handbook.

Note: Obviously, the larger the object you wish to manifest, the more blood you will need.

That's a pretty big bassin if you want to pull a sword out of it, and it will be a lot of lives (a human adult contains about 5.5 liters of blood IIRC).

I'd probably let you summon a Leman Russ tank though, if you were willing to sacrifice the population of a whole planet to fill that pool (going by Lexicanum's entry on a the Russ , plus a little spare, that's something like 1000 cubic meters, or 10^9 liters of blood IIRC.

So that's almost 200 million victims for a Russ.