Making the Unofficial Expansions and Questions

By JediKnightAmoeba, in Talisman Home Brews

So, I finished making the Timescape expansion by Azoic . After a lot of research and messaging some of the creators of a lot of the different homebrews, I was finally able to make an expansion worthy of hitting the table without embarrassment.

For the Cards:
I have found the best way to make the cards is to use 65# Linen Coverstock for one side (I used it for the card backs) and 24# Linen paper for the other side (I used it on the face of the cards). This paper is textured and looks and feels very similar to the real cards once sprayed!

After printing them I used a glass with a light under it (light table) so I could line up the card backs and fronts. Then I would tape one side so it would open like a book.

Next, I opened it up and used spray Glue lightly-- I tried 3 kinds, Super 77, Elmers and some other brand....the Elmers worked best. After spraying it, I would carefully press it together and roll it out on a marble top with a marble rolling pin.

This stuff dries quick so it does not need to set long.

After it had dried I took a thin piece of sheet metal I cut to the width of an Azoic Talisman card as a guide and taped it to my metal ruler so all cards would be the same width. For some reason Azoic puts 7 cards per sheet but only 6 really fit (like in strange Eons). This created problems for the regular adventure cards. What I had to do was make card backs in strange Eons and glue the odd sized fronts to these. Therefore, The Timescape cards are slightly skinnier than regular Talisman cards. They are still the right length since I could manipulate the Adobe file to the correct length...but the paper is only so wide. So, Azoic, is it possible you could make your file available for Strange Eons so it would be easier to print? Since it is your original work, I wonder if you have reasoning for having the 7 card wide pdf file?

There are lines for cutting the cards, but using a guide creates a much more consistent cut!

Important: When cutting your cards, always use the BACKS as your visual. If the front is slightly off it will not be noticeable but the backs will be very noticeable.

After the cards had all been cut and inspected you can spray them with a matte finish. I used this . I also tried brushing on Deft Gloss Clear Wood Finish which was really nice and they shuffle better, but a pain in the butt....so I prefer the spray since I put all my cards in card sleeves anyway.

Now, these cards will be a little thicker than the original cards. If this concerns you, what you can do (this actually comes out super nice) is using 3 pieces of the 24# linen paper and gluing these together. It will be much closer in thickness than the other ones and have a better natural feel. But gluing 3 pieces of paper together is an added step....more work. You could probably use a regular sheet of 24# paper as the middle sheet after I have thought about it. Or better yet you could use 16# paper, since it won't be printed on, bleed-through will not be a problem. This should bring the cards EXTREMELY close to originals.

For the Board:

You need this stuff for taping your paper to the board. You also need and old game board you no longer want or some foamboard or similar.

I had the paper to cover the boards printed on 24# linen paper. This stuff looks very nice when mounted to the board.

Cut your boards to the proper size you want using a very sharp utility knife and put a piece of the book binding tape down the middle on one side where the board will fold in half. Using Spray glue carefully mount the printed paper onto the board.

Have it printed so you have overhang and can wrap the edges around the board you are using and use the book binding tape to mount it to the back of the board you are using. I glued thin rubber mat to the back of the board and covered the edge with the tape and paper so it looks very clean, almost like a real game board.

When it is all complete spray it down with the clear coat to prevent any flaking and wear.

For the character cards and Alternate endings:

I used regular 67# white coverstock . I printed all the backs on one piece of paper and all the fronts on another piece.

After they had printed I lined them up on my light table and glued them together with Elmer's spray glue. My first runs when testing out this concept I used thin double stick tape--and this worked very well and is a cleaner, less messy alternative.

Again, I used a thin sheet metal guide cut to the appropriate width and length to cut the cards once they were glued together with an exacto knife and a metal ruler.

They look very nice once complete!

Tips:
- Always use new, sharp exacto blades for cutting cards and paper.
- The backs need to be cut and aligned perfectly but the fronts do not. For the most part all of my fronts looks great anyway (Except for the Adventure cards and spells for the main deck because the file is sized weird)
- You can use regular paper and coverstock but the linen stuff looks way nicer, is more durable and is textured. If you go to Staples they will print the files for you on this paper for a small up-charge.
- For rounding the corners, if you wish, it is easiest to use a VERY good, sharp pair of scissors and do it by hand. The corner rounders don't really work that well and the small size is hard to find.

Edited by JediKnightAmoeba

One thing I have trouble with is the colour of the Card Backs for the Alternate Endings. At first I thought it was my printer or program so I saved a file and tried a friends computer but got the same colour. It comes out a bluish colour rather than the grayish one. The ones I had printed at Staples came out the same way. I tried printing Strange Eons files, PDF files from FFG, Other homebrew cards and am getting about the same colour. When I looked at all the original card backs on these from all the expansions some are actually different colours and shades....is everyone else having this trouble?

I've used the Avery full sheet shipping labels for copiers (05353) to great effect. I have them printed up at kinkos then cut the cards apart, peel and stick them to official cards. To finish it off, I put the new cards in the same sleeves I use for the rest of the cards.

One thing I have trouble with is the colour of the Card Backs for the Alternate Endings. ....is everyone else having this trouble?

Part of the problem will be that the files on Talisman Island and elsewhere will be in RGB format rather than CMYK that is used for professional printing. The main reason for this is file size, but there is also a point that you wouldn't tell the difference on a home printer anyway.

There is a vast difference between the outputs of even professional printers, for example if you check over the Endings from the Nether Realm, they will appear different to mainstream Endings.

There is also a small problem with shading and colour between expansions as I can tell the difference between most Adventure cards too. Not as much as in the olden days of 2nd Edition, but there are differences.

As an aside, sticker paper fronts on "real" backs is the ideal way to do it, though it is not very cost-effective for Ending cards!

Edited by talismanisland

I would do this but to find Talisman cards is not cheap! I have a lot of 3rd edition talisman cards I have done this for, and you are correct, it is a lot easier! :-)

If the corner expansions came with a lot of regular adventure cards, that would be a good option since I could utilize the corner piece to make a new board!

Edited by JediKnightAmoeba

The corner expansions are good, but so is a duplicate of the base game. As a bonus, you get some extra plastic cones and gold (which if you have a leprechaun, there is no such thing as extra gold LOL). If you watch on ebay, you can find them sometimes pretty cheap - especially if it is scratch-n-dent where the box is damaged or non-card components are missing.

I should really make this into a "how to" for Talisman Island. It would really help some people!

If you can email me directly (from the site) and supply me with some images I am sure it will be a great resource.

Sorry for this REALLY delayed response but I will try and get this to you when I am able. It has been a tough year: I lost my job last February ( I did start a new career in June) and then our house was hit over the summer by lightning and fried our computer, TV, wireless extender, internet router and a few other things.....we get everything fixed and then the house burned down which is believed to be due to some faulty wiring in the attic

The good news is my 4th edition Talisman game and a few other games were at my in-laws. The bad news is I lost most of my other board games and thousands of miniatures and other nerd-stuff, as well as my entire 3rd edition Talisman. I also lost most of my 4th edition Talisman boxes since I kept the game all stuffed into 2 boxes(original and dragon box) as well as the supplies and information I had jotted down about "home-brewing".

Sooo, I am going to have to get all the stuff again to make these home-brews and figure out exactly everything needed. Eventually I may do this and get you a nice tutorial with some color photos. lol

Other good news is I just got the Woodlands expansion so at least I have all 4 corners! :-)

No rush at all. Sorry to hear about your woes. At least there is some good news at least! Take care :)

Sorry to hear about your house, JediKnightAmoeba. If you lost any 4th edition Talisman that you need replaced, feel free to pm me.

Thanks for the offer man! I am good with all the 4th edition stuff, the thing I lost was the empty boxes to all the expansions. I just try not to think about all the stuff I lost though, it is easier that way......

That stinks! I lived through a house fire when I was in High school. It's tough.

While losing a few hobby things in a fire is bothersome, what really matters is the lives, and then the essentials and the valuables.

I wondered where you had disappeared to, now I know, and it wasn't pleasant.

I hope you and your household fully recover from these disasters.

Sooo, I am going to have to get all the stuff again to make these home-brews and figure out exactly everything needed. Eventually I may do this and get you a nice tutorial with some color photos. lol

Sorry for your lose, hope all is well now! :)

Did you get up to setting up a tutorial?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mightywolve

Wow, here I am just using paper :) .