So, new to the LCG really excited.

By kkortekaas, in CoC General Discussion

A group of friends and I recently all purchased the Core Set with the intention to fight each other on a regular basis. None of us are interested in tourney play, we will just be casual between the three of us.

The options for expanding this game seem pretty daunting, with Asylum Packs, and Deluxe boxed sets and whatnot, and I'm unsure "where to go".

Currently the The Agency and Shub-Niggurath appeal to me, but I'm also leaning towards Miskatonic University . I guess I have two questions;

- What factions would pair well with Miskatonic ?

- What good cards in what sets (either Asylum or Deluxe) for the three factions about (plus whatever pairs well with Miskatonic) so that I can start building beyond the core box.

Very much appreciate the help!

kkortekaas

A group of friends and I recently all purchased the Core Set with the intention to fight each other on a regular basis. None of us are interested in tourney play, we will just be casual between the three of us.

The options for expanding this game seem pretty daunting, with Asylum Packs, and Deluxe boxed sets and whatnot, and I'm unsure "where to go".

Currently the The Agency and Shub-Niggurath appeal to me, but I'm also leaning towards Miskatonic University . I guess I have two questions;

- What factions would pair well with Miskatonic ?

- What good cards in what sets (either Asylum or Deluxe) for the three factions about (plus whatever pairs well with Miskatonic) so that I can start building beyond the core box.

Very much appreciate the help!

kkortekaas

Welcome to the game kkortekaas! What area are you in? Just fyi, a lot of the community has migrated over to the Cardgamedb forums (www.cardgamedb.com). You may get faster and more thorough responses over there.

Expanding your cardpool can seem very daunting, but FFG has done a good job making the deluxe boxes very good options to make interesting and competitive decks without having to get everything. Right now, MU, Yog, and Syndicate have their own deluxe box, so any of those would be a good faction to expand at first. So it's good that you like MU. :)

In regards to good cards/sets/packs, I will refer you to the deckbuilder on the site I mentioned above. You can peruse cards there to see which ones you like. I would also recommend looking at posted deck lists from recent tournaments that feature Agency, Shub, or MU to see which cards they tend to use. Lastly, I have written some articles called Pacta Arcana that explores deckbuilding with two factions, and I've paired the 3 factions you like in different ways. So you can read those and see which pairings appeal to you and go from there.

I hope this helps, but you also may want to start a thread over on cardgamedb to get more responses. :)

I'm new here and read a really cool article rating the Deluxe expansions. Just so you know, FFG dropped the Asylum Packs for CoC and kept only the Deluxe expansions for future releases. From what I read here's a cool way to start:

- 2nd core set: I'm really not a fan of this approach but know it's value. I play lots of Netrunner causally and in a ranked league and I don't even have a second core set. The only difference with CoC core set is that is comes only with 1 copy of each cards. It was FFG first LCG so they changed their views of this later on but a second core set for CoC, even for casual play, seem to be a good buy.

- Secrets of Arhkam (WAIT FOR THE REPRINT COMING SOON): Secret of Arkham is a deluxe expansion that is being reprinted and will come with 3 of each card. Like I read in an article, SoA can be seen as a core set booster. Lots of great card and a new Story deck for more variety.

- Terror in Venice: Same as Secrets of Arkham except it doesn't come with Story cards but add many Conspiracy cards. I bought it along the Core set last week since TiV is highly regarded by CoC fans and add many great cards in the mix.

- The Shifting Sands Asylum Pack (If you can find it): I'm looking for this one since it's a rare asylum pack that add 12 new Story Cards. Not a must have since Secrets of Arkham will do the same and more but if you can find it i'd say it's a good buy.

- As for the other Deluxe expansions, it's up to you after you read this nice article: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/call-of-cthulhu/the-great-cthulhu-starting-your-collection-r998

Since i'm new I can't really comment on deckbuilding much so i'll leave this to vets! :)

I'm playing my first game tonight, can't wait to see how it goes. I hope the theme will drool from everywhere like it does with Netrunner and hope it'll be liked in my group. Game look great with simple rules and great components and theme.

I'm new here and read a really cool article rating the Deluxe expansions. Just so you know, FFG dropped the Asylum Packs for CoC and kept only the Deluxe expansions for future releases. From what I read here's a cool way to start:

- 2nd core set: I'm really not a fan of this approach but know it's value. I play lots of Netrunner causally and in a ranked league and I don't even have a second core set. The only difference with CoC core set is that is comes only with 1 copy of each cards. It was FFG first LCG so they changed their views of this later on but a second core set for CoC, even for casual play, seem to be a good buy.

- Secrets of Arhkam (WAIT FOR THE REPRINT COMING SOON): Secret of Arkham is a deluxe expansion that is being reprinted and will come with 3 of each card. Like I read in an article, SoA can be seen as a core set booster. Lots of great card and a new Story deck for more variety.

- Terror in Venice: Same as Secrets of Arkham except it doesn't come with Story cards but add many Conspiracy cards. I bought it along the Core set last week since TiV is highly regarded by CoC fans and add many great cards in the mix.

- The Shifting Sands Asylum Pack (If you can find it): I'm looking for this one since it's a rare asylum pack that add 12 new Story Cards. Not a must have since Secrets of Arkham will do the same and more but if you can find it i'd say it's a good buy.

- As for the other Deluxe expansions, it's up to you after you read this nice article: http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/index.html/_/call-of-cthulhu/the-great-cthulhu-starting-your-collection-r998

Since i'm new I can't really comment on deckbuilding much so i'll leave this to vets! :)

I'm playing my first game tonight, can't wait to see how it goes. I hope the theme will drool from everywhere like it does with Netrunner and hope it'll be liked in my group. Game look great with simple rules and great components and theme.

The Shifting Sands pack is still generally available, but it's stock may be dwindling a bit. I recently asked my FLGS to order a few and they said that their distributors still had it in stock. Perhaps you should ask your FLGS to order it for you.

awesome guys, thanks for the heads up. I'm in the Niagara Region and I've seen one of my group mates post on the forums as well (TimF), I'll head on over to www.cardgamedb.com and post.

The Shifting Sands pack is still generally available, but it's stock may be dwindling a bit. I recently asked my FLGS to order a few and they said that their distributors still had it in stock. Perhaps you should ask your FLGS to order it for you.

Yep I did that and they still can have some. Glad I asked :)

Should I complete this cycle too? Some packs are under 10 bucks at my FLGS...Into Tartarus and Breathinj Jungle are sold at 8.99CAD...

Yep I did that and they still can have some. Glad I asked :)

Should I complete this cycle too? Some packs are under 10 bucks at my FLGS...Into Tartarus and Breathinj Jungle are sold at 8.99CAD...

Yes, you should. Those packs have some excellent cards for all factions, including the Master of the Myths, which can be played in any faction. It is a great deal!