Blizzard & roll for movement

By Frank_Black, in Talisman Rules Questions

The Blizzard and the inner region say you move only 1 space. So can you still roll too move only move one and gain the bennefit of the troll healing?

Frank_Black said:

The Blizzard and the inner region say you move only 1 space. So can you still roll too move only move one and gain the bennefit of the troll healing?

I don't think so. During the Blizzard, in the inner Region, with Poltergeist Follower and under effect of Slow Motion Spell (Reaper) you don't roll the die for moving and you don't trigger any effects related to movement roll.

But this is not official, just thoughts and my way of playing.

Frank_Black said:

You can't do that with blizzard, poltergeist and slowmotion, because you can move only one space, and you don't roll the die. That means you can not heal the troll by rolling a six..

I agree and i think it is the same for inner region, you dont roll die in inner region so you cant regenerate there.

I want to know if the rules about warping and the elf special ability from woods still aply( as normal) for revised edition while under the effect of blizzard

I must say that i don't like the idea from black gates. Teleport or the elf special ability should be allowed while the blizard is active because it's one space warping somewhere on the board.

Maybe that talismansilat can ask it from john goodenough.

I think that the Faq will take a while until it is finish and put on the internet.

Velhart said:

I want to know if the rules about warping and the elf special ability from woods still aply( as normal) for revised edition while under the effect of blizzard

I must say that i don't like the idea from black gates. Teleport or the elf special ability should be allowed while the blizard is active because it's one space warping somewhere on the board.

I think that the Faq will take a while until it is finish and put on the internet.

Do you also allow the Elf to 'port from Woods to Woods if he has the Poltergeist Follower? As in, Elf is the absolute same with or without Poltergeist, no hindrance to his Woods-hopping?

Dam said:

Velhart said:

Do you also allow the Elf to 'port from Woods to Woods if he has the Poltergeist Follower? As in, Elf is the absolute same with or without Poltergeist, no hindrance to his Woods-hopping?

Yes i allow it.( at least i want to)

Poltergeist only says that you can move one space.

Warping and elf special ability is also moving one space( but you can go to a different space other than the one where you must move to( under the blizard circumstance or poltergeist.

Dam said:

I don't know what answer they will give this time, but I always believed that Teleport and Elf movement should be allowed regardless of Blizzard, Poltergeist and Slow Motion Spell. The "Can vs. Cannot" paragraph is not clear, at least for a non-English user like me; it says that a card effect always supersedes Special Abilities, but how can you interpret the instruction "you must move only one space instead of rolling the die for movement" as if it were written "you must move only one space instead of using teleport special abilities/effects"?

It's dangerous to permit to a card (Poltergeist) to cancel a Character's Special ability. it's too much of a penalty. To make another example, Cursed by a Hag prevents the Sorceress from having any Followers, but shouldn't prevent her from taking them from other Characters and ditching them on the space, as if she had encountered them.

But someone might say that the Troll could regenerate even if he has the Poltergeist/is in the Inner region or the Blizzard has effect. Brrr.... I really don't know what should be done.

The_Warlock said:

I don't know what answer they will give this time, but I always believed that Teleport and Elf movement should be allowed regardless of Blizzard, Poltergeist and Slow Motion Spell. The "Can vs. Cannot" paragraph is not clear, at least for a non-English user like me; it says that a card effect always supersedes Special Abilities, but how can you interpret the instruction "you must move only one space instead of rolling the die for movement" as if it were written "you must move only one space instead of using teleport special abilities/effects"?

It's dangerous to permit to a card (Poltergeist) to cancel a Character's Special ability. it's too much of a penalty. To make another example, Cursed by a Hag prevents the Sorceress from having any Followers, but shouldn't prevent her from taking them from other Characters and ditching them on the space, as if she had encountered them.

But someone might say that the Troll could regenerate even if he has the Poltergeist/is in the Inner region or the Blizzard has effect. Brrr.... I really don't know what should be done.

So in essence, if you happen to have Teleport/be Elf, those cards have absolutely no negative effects on you sorpresa.gif ? Blizzard/Poltergeist have, AFAIK always prevented the use of Teleport other than casting it, but you still only move 1 space. Elf's text says "instead of rolling a die, you may move...". Poltergeist has "must move instead of rolling a die", whereas Elf only "may", but are instead of rolling a die. Similar wording on the Teleport spell.

I always allowed elf to teleport because I meant it like 1 space movement and it seem natural to me but if rulers say different I will change. just it is not very clear at this moment (in fact i never thought about it before reading this topic, but now i am full of dubts).

Dam said:

The_Warlock said:

So in essence, if you happen to have Teleport/be Elf, those cards have absolutely no negative effects on you sorpresa.gif ? Blizzard/Poltergeist have, AFAIK always prevented the use of Teleport other than casting it, but you still only move 1 space. Elf's text says "instead of rolling a die, you may move...". Poltergeist has "must move instead of rolling a die", whereas Elf only "may", but are instead of rolling a die. Similar wording on the Teleport spell.

Mmm.

You can also see it on the other side. The elf and teleport spell says instead of rolling a die, but you may not roll a die for your move, so ýou could say that you may not teleport or warp..

Velhart said:

Mmm.

You can also see it on the other side. The elf and teleport spell says instead of rolling a die, but you may not roll a die for your move, so ýou could say that you may not teleport or warp..

Isn't that what I've been saying all along sorpresa.gif ?

Dam said:

Velhart said:

Mmm.

Ok, it makes sense.

I tend to be confused by some cards that say "instead/before rolling the die for movement" and others that say "instead/before of your normal move" or something like that. Perhaps I still remember old card text.

What do you think of the above mentioned Sorceress with Cursed by a Hag (little OT)?

The_Warlock said:

What do you think of the above mentioned Sorceress with Cursed by a Hag (little OT)?

I don't see it any different than say Knight winning a battle and not being able to choose a Runesword from the opponent, just to ditch it.

P. 16:

"Characters are not permitted to take cards that they may not
have. For example, if a character may not have Followers, he
may not take one by casting the Mesmerism Spell on another
character."

I'd say that applies specifically to a character with Cursed by a Hag.

Dam said:

The_Warlock said:

I don't see it any different than say Knight winning a battle and not being able to choose a Runesword from the opponent, just to ditch it.

P. 16:

"Characters are not permitted to take cards that they may not
have. For example, if a character may not have Followers, he
may not take one by casting the Mesmerism Spell on another
character."

I'd say that applies specifically to a character with Cursed by a Hag.

Impressive, you always have the right answer, Dam! aplauso.gif

That paragraph "Having and Using Cards" is important, as it also changes an old FAQ that said that you cannot have Cards you can't use. Now you can have any cards that you can't use (i.e. the Monk might carry Armour pieces and Weapons, the Troll with Cft 1 might carry the Wand, etc...)

Dam said:

Velhart said:

Mmm.

Not really gui%C3%B1o.gif

You said in a other topic that BG has said that you can use teleports.

But actually you may not use teleports. Teleport spells says the same as the elf ability. This is why this discussion is all about gui%C3%B1o.gif

I hope that this will be including in a FAQ and chance that rule, otherwise i see a house rule coming gran_risa.gif

so elf cant hop-hop-warp with poltergeist and blizzard....my friends so much will hate me....i am the master hop-hop elf in our games sad.gif

now just a question come in mind....in another topic was said that if you have poltergeist and you land on temple and get stuck (with a result of 5) you can roll a die to "escape" but move only of 1 space (because the poltergeist)...could it be just a exception to the "you-dont-roll-die" rule?

Andraax said:

so elf cant hop-hop-warp with poltergeist and blizzard....my friends so much will hate me....i am the master hop-hop elf in our games sad.gif

now just a question come in mind....in another topic was said that if you have poltergeist and you land on temple and get stuck (with a result of 5) you can roll a die to "escape" but move only of 1 space (because the poltergeist)...could it be just a exception to the "you-dont-roll-die" rule?

That exception was only made because if you do not roll a die of the poltergeist etc, you could forever be stuck in the temple ! gui%C3%B1o.gif

And if you have the blizard, poltergeist etc, a elf(in the woods) or or someone with a spell teleport is not stuck in the game. but cannot use it at that moment.

A different situation..

Andraax said:

John Goodnough has clarified this already gran_risa.gif

According to Mr. Goodenough, no - you cannot use teleport in a blizzard because the wording is "instead of rolling a die for movement"

and in a blizzard you do not role a die for movement, neither do you with the poltergeist or in the Inner Region.

---------------

So the elf may not use his ability in the woods if blizard is in play or having the poltergeist or you are under a slow motion effect