Newbie questions

By Sleby, in Talisman Rules Questions

Hey guys

Just bought Talisman and the reaper expansion last week and had my first game last night. Was loads of fun but we had a couple of issues.

1. If you use say the portal (or any encounter that ends up transporting you) and it transports you somewhere, do you then encounter whatever space it transported you to? I argued it didn't because I thought you could only have one encounter per turn, but the people I were playing with thought the transporting was a waste of time if you didn't get to encounter whatever space you were sent to so we ended up playing their way.

2. When you're turned into a toad you drop all your items and followers on the space you turned into a toad. Are these allowed to exceed the draw limit for that space? If not, what happens to the extra items?

3. Some of the creatures you encounter roll on a d6 to decide where they spawn and some of these places can be the tavern and other places that don't have a draw card limit on them. So if you were to go to the tavern and there was a creature on it could you just visit the tavern without fighting the creature? Or would you have to fight it first?

4. Last one, one of the players managed to get a poltregeist following her and to get rid of it you have to cross a the river. On the gameboard the obvious way to do this is to cross from the outer to the middle region. However, there is a bridge between the village and one of the fields on the outer region. Can you cross here to rid yourself of the follower?

Thanks heaps.

Sebly said:

Hey guys

Just bought Talisman and the reaper expansion last week and had my first game last night. Was loads of fun but we had a couple of issues.

1. If you use say the portal (or any encounter that ends up transporting you) and it transports you somewhere, do you then encounter whatever space it transported you to? I argued it didn't because I thought you could only have one encounter per turn, but the people I were playing with thought the transporting was a waste of time if you didn't get to encounter whatever space you were sent to so we ended up playing their way.

2. When you're turned into a toad you drop all your items and followers on the space you turned into a toad. Are these allowed to exceed the draw limit for that space? If not, what happens to the extra items?

3. Some of the creatures you encounter roll on a d6 to decide where they spawn and some of these places can be the tavern and other places that don't have a draw card limit on them. So if you were to go to the tavern and there was a creature on it could you just visit the tavern without fighting the creature? Or would you have to fight it first?

4. Last one, one of the players managed to get a poltregeist following her and to get rid of it you have to cross a the river. On the gameboard the obvious way to do this is to cross from the outer to the middle region. However, there is a bridge between the village and one of the fields on the outer region. Can you cross here to rid yourself of the follower?

Thanks heaps.

Answer 1: If you are transporting to another space, you must encounter that space. ( so if you draw the imp, he teleports you to a other space and you must encounter that space.

Answer 2: . Yes, this is allowed. If a other player lands on that space and they are 3 cards on a draw 1 space, then he does not draw a card, but encounter the cards on that space.

answer 3: You must first fight the creature before you encounter the tavern, city, village,chapel, forest, temple etc.

You encounter first the cards( on number) and then the space. ( but that is only for non draw card spaces.

answer 4: You can get rid of the poltergeist by crossing the bridge where the sentinel is, or using the boatman at the tavern, or water walking spell or using a raft etc

Sebly said:

Poltergeist merely states cross the river. There are 3 crossings via bridge: Sentinel, next to City and next to Village. Any will do. Additional way were already mentioned.

Thanks for the answers. One more question though.

If a player lands on the Warlocks cave and takes a quest and already has the ability to complete it, can he do so? Or does he have to wait till he can land on the cave on another turn?

Sebly said:

If a player lands on the Warlocks cave and takes a quest and already has the ability to complete it, can he do so? Or does he have to wait till he can land on the cave on another turn?

Actually, you MUST complete it the same turn if possible. If your only Magic Object is the shiny, precious Ring or a kick-ass Solomon's Crown and you get a Quest which requires discarding of a Magic Object, bye-bye Ring/Crown. Same if your only Follower is a snazzy Unicorn and you get a discard a Follower Quest. Note that you don't need to return to the Cave to complete the Quest, when you complete the Quest, you immediately get teleported back to the Cave and then receive the Talisman as reward.

Oh really? We're playing with the reaper expansion though, so at least we get to choose our quests :)

Sebly said:

Oh really? We're playing with the reaper expansion though, so at least we get to choose our quests :)

I have Reaper as well, but have used random quests always. Choosing makes the game too easy.

I've got one more question.

Characters like the sorceress have abilities that can affect other characters when they land on them. If they elect to use these abilities do they forgo the chance to also encounter the space or attack the character?

Also, can the sorceress use both the beguile and the steal follower abilities on the same turn? She seems kinda overpowered if this is the case :P

Dam said:

Sebly said:

Actually, you MUST complete it the same turn if possible. If your only Magic Object is the shiny, precious Ring or a kick-ass Solomon's Crown and you get a Quest which requires discarding of a Magic Object, bye-bye Ring/Crown. Same if your only Follower is a snazzy Unicorn and you get a discard a Follower Quest. Note that you don't need to return to the Cave to complete the Quest, when you complete the Quest, you immediately get teleported back to the Cave and then receive the Talisman as reward.

Dam said:

Sebly said:

I am not so sure about what you said Dam.

The manual only says that you must complete it as soon as possible, but you are still free to choose when you want to complete it.

As soon as you complete it, you transport back to the warlock as you said.

Sebly said:

Characters like the sorceress have abilities that can affect other characters when they land on them. If they elect to use these abilities do they forgo the chance to also encounter the space or attack the character?

Also, can the sorceress use both the beguile and the steal follower abilities on the same turn? She seems kinda overpowered if this is the case :P

Check the back of the rulebook, the tree should clarify things. Encountering a char and space are two different branches. Under encounter a char, there are two branches, one for combat (battle or psychic if able), another for special ability use. Additionally, only 1 special ability can be used:

"An encounter with another character always takes one of two
forms. The character whose turn it is may either attack (see
“Battles Between Two Characters” on page 11) or use one of
his special abilities on the other character." (p. 9)

(emphasis added)

Velhart said:

Dam said:

I am not so sure about what you said Dam.

The manual only says that you must complete it as soon as possible, but you are still free to choose when you want to complete it.

As soon as you complete it, you transport back to the warlock as you said.

"A character must attempt to complete his quest immediately if
he is able to do so." (p. 17)

Must + immediately means right there and then, if possible.

I agree with Dam, we play in same way ..bye bye unicorn/ring ( llorando.gif ). it say "must".

about sorceress I dont know in english but on character card in my language it say anything as "indipendently if you decide to figth or deceive" so we use it so: Sorceress decide if fight on strength OR fight on craft OR use his deceiving ability to get a object ; whatever she choise she can use the follower-steal ability because it so seem from character card.maybe in english it sound different so share knowledge happy.gif

Andraax said:

about sorceress I dont know in english but on character card in my language it say anything as "indipendently if you decide to figth or deceive" so we use it so: Sorceress decide if fight on strength OR fight on craft OR use his deceiving ability to get a object ; whatever she choise she can use the follower-steal ability because it so seem from character card.maybe in english it sound different so share knowledge happy.gif

The BI version of the Sorceress had that wording, which created some problems. Checked my FFG Sorceress, nothing of the sort in the wording, her options are 1)battle, 2)psychic combat, 3)beguile or 4) take a Follower

Ah nice to know, it was strange in anyway happy.gif .

The next sorceress user will not happy about this "errata" gran_risa.gif