Cover and concealment

By computertrucker, in Deathwatch House Rules

Ok I have decided that I really don't care for the cover and concealment rules as written. At least in deathwatch and I was thinking of changing it somewhat and came here to get some opinions and Input.

The reason? Well cover gives concealment making it harder to get a good shot at your target. So I was thinking of combining the 2 and adding a new step. I mean it even says on the cover rule that the target has concealment but doesn't go into further detail. I also feel to be more cinematic if the target is hit there is a chance that cover then comes into play. So here is the new rule I am implementing.

Rule cover and concealment.

Partial Darkness, fogs, mists, shadows And light cover gives -20 to ballistic skill checks. If the target actually has light cover the attacker must have 2 degrees of success on the attack roll not to hit whatever is giving the cover.

Total Darkness, thick smoke or complete concealment or full cover -30 to ballistic skill checks. If the target has full cover the attacker must have 3 degrees of success on the attack roll not to hit whatever is providing the cover.

Combat is fluid, with people bobbing and weaving. This will simulate that I think better than just Trying to figure out fairly if a limb or extremety is exposed. Takes time and in honesty sometimes just sucks. I think this system will work better. And speed play and leave no hurt feelings as well. I have already had players try to proclaim they would have kept more in cover etc etc. this handles that.

Ok first. Change.

Light cover switched to one degree of success needed on the to hit roll in order to hit a. Exposed area.

Heavy cover. Switched to needing 3 degrees of success on the to hit roll in order to hit an exposed area. (This might get switched to 2 degrees of success)

Thoughts? Opinions?

I prefer the classic system. I'd even give the one using the cover a malus, depending on what parts he's exposing. Like he may only expose the shooting arm, but has -30 for blind fire. Besides, I think defining which parts stick out of the cover can lead to very funny role playing, which I wouldn't want to miss.

I think your light cover rule also doesn't account heavy weapon attacking light cover. A shot that hits the cover might go through. The classical AP for cover rule considers that, a malus doesn't.

Furthermore, the classical way cover can be depleted and is way more part of the battlefield in your head, than just a roll modifier.

I still plan to use the cover AP if they are shot in a covered area.