Basic Questions

By FootNote, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion RPG

Just because a career or a spec has a name doesn't mean that you are what that name is. A career is just a set of skills, a spec is some skills and talents. That's all they are. Yes there is some fluff to give you ideas on how to play your character or write up your background, but there is nothing saying you have to play a thief as a thief. Government agencies higher people that were hackers or have the skill set to be amazing hackers. Being a slicer doesn't make you a criminal. Undercover agents have skill sets that mirror criminals but it doesn't make them one. Back into starwars fluff examples bounty hunters almost all exclusively worked for the empire or for sector security.

You can play as sector rangers alot easier with EotE then I imagine you could with AoR. You are a sector ranger. Pick a career and spec that have the skill set and talents you want. Now rename it Sector Ranger. The only reason you may want to wait for AoR to run it is so you can have duty instead of obligation. The EotE book is full of villainous NPCs to use as the criminals you are tracking down and bringing to justice.

Actually there is a chance we will see law enforcement in F & D since the Jedi were classified as peacekeepers or the law in the old republic. Also the Suns of Fortune book introduced CorSec which is a Law Enforcement group in the Corellian Sector. The thing of it is who law enforcement agency are you looking for? Empire was COMPNOR and Imperial Intelligence, the Old Republic had Sector Rangers and Antarian Rangers who were pretty much reassigned or wiped out. Hutt space it called Hutts are the law and as long as you didn't mess with them or their revenue they generally didn't care what you did as long as they got their cut. Corporate Sector has Espos who are basically corporate security guards with a hell of a lot of firepower and attitude.

For the most part the Empire was actually more military focused than any example we have here so when it came to capturing someone they just used storm troopers to do it. Everything else was handled by COMPNOR and they usually would look at a crime blame it on an 'evil' alien and kill them (oh and I meant them as they often shot entire groups to hit the villain). Sometimes it would actually be a human and that person was caught but not too often. Law = Order to the Empire so it was more about maintaining order then it was to serve justice. Which meant political pressure and influence was a bigger decision maker then facts. If COMPNOR needed some Wookiees or other aliens to take the fall that is what would happen. CorSec was one of the few exceptions to the rule but even there the Empire still called a lot of the shots.

I doubt we are going to get a Law Enforcement career but probably specializations as more of the books come out.

As others have said, Law Enforcement can easily be covered in any number of the existing professions in either Edge or Age. Granted, I think the hang-up that some might have is that there isn't specifically a career or specialization that says "Cop" or "Detective." Truthfully, a Smuggler/Thief would make a good framework for a cop, as would a Bounty Hunter.

In terms of Law Enforcement for the Rebellion, strictly speaking it's just not there. The whole organization is patently illegal by Imperial Law, and so by definition you're not really going to see them at play. Yes, they do have internal security, but they would be best covered under the Spy career. If you're doing an Imperial Focused storyline, I would start with the Spy career as well, particularly the Infiltrator.

The Recruit universal specialization I think is a good way of integrating Edge careers into Age of Rebellion. Granted, it can also stand to fill in some gaps that players might be missing from their characters even in a straight edge campaign.

As for costs on books, it's the law of diminishing returns. More pages printed in a single work means that the costs per page are lower. It also has to do with shelf life. Hardbacks last a whole lot longer than soft covers, so you may pay once for a book, instead of needing to buy another one down the road because the current one has gotten trashed.

Someone else pointed out the relative costs to the older WEG books. Keep in mind those books also had very little in the way of colour artwork. A book with the current FFG production values would have been unheard of and prohibitively expensive then. The quality is so much higher than it was 20 years ago.