Quote...why ?

By Fifagi, in Wings of War

i know the rule.

if the difference of QUOTE is 1, the planes can fire only in the first ruler half.

Why this is = for the two planes ?

Doesn't The planes in highest quote have an advantage ? Why Not ?

Not sure that I understand your question. The word "quote" does not seem to fit. Don't be offended, but perhaps you could re-post the question in either your mother tongue, or re-post in english using a better selection of words and sentence structure?

SHVAK said:

Not sure that I understand your question. The word "quote" does not seem to fit. Don't be offended, but perhaps you could re-post the question in either your mother tongue, or re-post in english using a better selection of words and sentence structure?

I'm sorry for my english.

For quote...i want write Altitude

Its a game mechanic or abstract method to allow combat between the 2 planes at the 2 different altitudes. It is more for game playability, as the rules for altitude are optional. If all of your group agrees it would add an extra element to rule that the higher plane (a full level not an altitude counter) gets to use the full ruler length. Matter of fact a gamestore in my area rules that for tailgunners, Try it out and let us know how it went.

Fifagi said:

i know the rule.

if the difference of Altitude is 1, the planes can fire only in the first ruler half.

What's being simulated here is a Triangle.

Quick math-out: Take a square, 1" on each side. Draw a line from one corner of the square to the corner diagonally opposite -- this forms a right-angle triangle. If you've taken geometry, you know the Pythagorean Theorem:

http://www.cut-the-knot.org/pythagoras/index.shtml .

So, if we have a triangle with two side each of value 1:

(1 x 1) + (1 x 1) = (2, square root of which is) = 1.414... .

So, if a fighter is within one range increment, but at a different altitude, it *isn't* actually at Range One; it's at Range 1.414..., rounding up to Range 2, which produces the lower hit count. A unit at Range 2 would be:

(2 x 2) + (1 x 1) = (5, square root of which is) = 2.23... , or out of range.

"How absurdly simple." [sherlock Holmes] :)

csadn said:

Fifagi said:

i know the rule.

if the difference of Altitude is 1, the planes can fire only in the first ruler half.

What's being simulated here is a Triangle.

Quick math-out: Take a square, 1" on each side. Draw a line from one corner of the square to the corner diagonally opposite -- this forms a right-angle triangle. If you've taken geometry, you know the Pythagorean Theorem:

http://www.cut-the-knot.org/pythagoras/index.shtml .

So, if we have a triangle with two side each of value 1:

(1 x 1) + (1 x 1) = (2, square root of which is) = 1.414... .

So, if a fighter is within one range increment, but at a different altitude, it *isn't* actually at Range One; it's at Range 1.414..., rounding up to Range 2, which produces the lower hit count. A unit at Range 2 would be:

(2 x 2) + (1 x 1) = (5, square root of which is) = 2.23... , or out of range.

"How absurdly simple." [sherlock Holmes] :)

Ok, but if i try ti fire from a palace, 100 floor...i can hit an object a ground...but the object at groumìnd can hit me...

why in wings of wars it's same ?

Fifagi

You would be correct if you were throwing stones at someone else However, bullets fall under external ballistics physical principles. The high speed of bullets and the relatively short distance they travel negate any effects from elevation changes (except for aim).

Read Line #2 from
http://www.loadammo.com/Topics/April04.htm

Then read the vertical angle paragraph from
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_ballistics

Firing from a tall building, your bullets may hit the ground but, 1) would they hit the target you were aiming at? and 2) would have the same punch/speed? Remember that the dice simulate the liklelhood of a hit. Firing that longer distance (see, above, re. triangulation) and on a less than straight trajectory is going to reduce the likelihood of a hit.

The game is just a simulation. There are lots of variables which the game does not fully reflect. A few are:

- the different types of machine-guns: the different calibres, muzzle-velocities, accuracy, firing-rate, amunition carried, reliability, and the ability to unjam them in flight

- differences in aircraft types, including runs mounted above the propeller arc and those with interrupter-gear which allowed forward firing through the propleller arc directly on line with the aircraft's fuselage

- differences in the crews' abilities: not just the pilot's skill (every example of one aircraft type has the same stats regardless of who's flying it), but also the skill of rear-gunners, sliding a gun around and aiming at a target as your own plane is jinking and diving to avoid being hit. As the war progressed, some forces were left with almost no senior crew while others had improved their recruiting and training, and were replacing aircraft as well with improved versions.