Necron Vessels

By Wizzardman, in Rogue Trader House Rules

Hey, guys! This is my take on Necron ships; they're 80% based on the old BFG rules, but I've added a few weapon options to flesh out their capabilities and make space battles more fun. Let me know what you guys think, and feel free to use them as you wish.

Necron Special Rules

Necron Critical Hits : Necrons replace the following standard Critical Hits with the results listed below
Holed: Necron ships have little need for oxygen, but are very reliant on their power systems. Components affected by Holed are unpowered, not depressurized.

Fire: Necron vessels do not catch fire. Instead, treat this as an additional Engines Crippled critical hit, counting as if the Necron ship always rolled 7 or below.

Warp Drive Explosion: Necron vessels do not have a warp drive. Treat this as a Plasma Drive explosion.

Beyond Fear and Death: Necron vessels count as 100 morale at all times, and regain 2 Crew population per turn, up to their maximum of 100.

Reactive Hulls:

Necron vessels are not affected by astral phenomena.

Necron vessels ignore all hits where the damage rolled is less than or equal to a target number, based on the size class of the vessel in question.

Transports: 1 Raiders and Frigates: 2 Cruisers: 3 Battleships: 5

Example: Rogue Trader Coronado d’Ollavanius fires a shot from his ship’s lance at a Shroud-class light cruiser that “dared to be filled with Xenos in his presence.” His player rolls a successful hit, with 0 degrees of success, and a roll of 3 on the damage die. Normally, this would result in 3 or more damage to the Necron vessel (ignoring armor), but the Necron’s Reactive Hull ignores the hit regardless. Incensed, Rogue Trader Coronado declares his intention to “punch [the Necron vessel’s captain] for his impudence.” His bridge crew immediately groan.

Finally, Necrons automatically pass Emergency Repair tests once every turn. Note that they still have to roll in order to reduce repair times below 1d5 rounds.

Maximum Power:

With an extended action (tech-use -10), Necrons may sheathe their ships in a sheath of crackling lightning, upgrading the value of their reactive hull to 8.

Using this action drains the vessel’s most ancient power reserves; reduce all of the ships’ weapon damage dice to d5s for this turn.

Ships attempting to detect or scan the Necron vessel gain +40 on their scrutiny tests while this is active.

Quiet as a Grave:

Active Augury tests to detect Necron ships only detect Necron vessels on two degrees of success or higher.

Inertialess Drive:

With an extended action (tech-use -10), Necron vessels may double their maximum speed for one turn, as the ship skirts the minimum of its FTL capabilities.

The power drain from this effect reduces all of the ships’ weapon damage dice to d5s for this turn.

With another extended action (tech-use +10), a Necron vessel may “phase out”, dropping into FTL and exiting the encounter

The process of phasing out takes approximately one turn; boarding crews and hit-and-run combatants (and PCs involved) have one turn to exit

Phasing out is only possible if the Inertialess Drive is undamaged; if this component is damaged before phase out occurs, the Necron vessel remains in play

Gauss Particle Whip: acts as a lance. For every degree of success on the to-hit roll, the Particle Whip ignores one shield on the target ship.

Gauss Particle Whip attacks are not affected by Holofields or Shadowfields.

Lightning Arc: Enveloping web of energy that crackles and flows like living lightning. Lightning Arcs always strike targets on their weakest section of armor, regardless of facing.

Vessels firing a Lightning Arc may divide the Arc’s strength among multiple targets, effectively getting a separate attack against each specified target in the firing arc. These shots do not have to be divided evenly between ships.

Example: Rogue Trader Coronado d’Ollavanius has ordered his vessel to “charge forward, and strike the enemy in its steel heart”, which his lieutenants know to mean “ram them, because I’m a psychopath with no capacity for tactics.” His ship, the “Unconquered Sun”, ends its turn two squares from the Necron cruiser. Another vessel--a merchant ship named “the Prodigal Charter”--chugs for the edge of the system, ending its turn twelve squares from the Necron ship. A torrent of lightning pours forth from the Shroud-class cruiser; the Necron vessel divides the strength of its Ligntning Arc in two, placing 6 strength against the Rogue Trader’s vessel and 4 against the merchant ship. It then has a shot against each ship, at a -10 range penalty against “the Prodigal Charter”, and a +10 against “the Unconquered Sun.” The GM rolls, scoring a 17 on the dice against Coronado’s ship, and a 70 against “the Prodigal Charter.”

“The Unconquered Sun” is struck--lightning shreds the outer hull, tearing into the interior decks and flash-frying ratings by the thousand. A storm of ionized atmosphere broils out of “the Unconquered Sun”. The ship takes a strength 3 hit. With 3 more degrees of success, the Shroud-class cruiser could have inflicted 6 hits, but no more than 6, as the rest of its strength went to the merchant ship.

Lightning Arcs ignore Holofields and Shadowfields.

Star Pulse Generator: A nova of white plasma bursts from the ship’s reactor. A Star Pulse automatically hits every non-Necron vessels within a 5 square radius of the vessel with a number of hits indicated by the weapon’s strength (minimum 1). These are affected by shields and armor as if they were macrobattery hits.

Affected attack craft squadrons must make a Command + Craft Rating check (-30) or be eliminated; affected torpedoes are destroyed automatically

Delicate sorceries : Necron vessels may not use this weapon if they take or have taken an action requiring a test this turn

Sepulchre: The Necron vessel updumps a font of energy on a target vessel, becalming the Warp and damaging the minds of those within. This weapon always ignores armor and void shields. Against Tyranid vessels or vessels that are fully possessed by daemons or other warp entities, this weapon does double damage. Against Necrons, this weapon has no effect. Against all others, this weapon only inflicts Morale damage. Vessels affected by this weapon may not use Extended Actions on their next turn--mortal ships lose communication and discipline as their crew breaks up into terrified mobs.

PCs whose ship is affected by a Sepulchre must make a Willpower test as if they’d been affected by a Fear 3 effect, and take the results as if this was a non-combat fear test. PCs do not have to roll on the shock table if they fail this test--they instead take a -10 penalty on all tests for the remainder of the encounter. If they fail the test by three or more degrees, the PC also gains 1d5 insanity points.

Delicate sorceries : Necron vessels may not use this weapon if they take or have taken an action requiring a test this turn

Portals: Necron vessels may make two Hit and Run attacks a turn, on any target (or two targets) within 5 squares of the Necron vessel. These attacks do not require a pilot test or assault boats. Necrons get +30 on all Hit and Run attacks.

Resurrection Ark: Necron vessels with this component regain 5 population per turn, instead of their usual 2, and lose 2 fewer population when an attack would do population damage to them.

Phase Shroud: Necron vessels with this component always count as on silent running at the start of any encounter. Vessels attempting to use an extended action that involves Detection (such as Focused Augury) against a Necron ship with this component suffer a -30 penalty.

Tachyon Bolts: Extremely rare Necron weaponry, created and implemented by the most skilled Crypteks towards the end of the War in Heaven. The bolt itself is less a “torpedo” and more a “shaft of energy guided by science beyond mortal reckoning”; before firing, they are merely a lump of metal, and they will only detonate when the advanced algorithms of the Necron ship dictate so. This allows them to bypass shields and strike the weakest points of a target’s hull; however, they are vulnerable to severe magnetic disruption (such as ‘being struck with large chunks of metal’), which may cause them to “go off” prematurely. Tachyon bolts count the armor of any vessel they strike as 0. They are affected by turrets and fighters as normal, and they cannot be stored, loaded into, or fired from a torpedo launcher that is not of Necron make, and can not be activated outside of a Necron launcher. Finally, the character who launched the torpedo may choose not to make the Ballistic Skill + Torpedo Rating (+0) test when the bolt passes within 1 VU of a vessel; if so, the torpedo continues as if it had not entered within 1 VU of the vessel in question.

Necron Attack Craft and Torpedoes

Tomb Blade Swarm (Fighter) Rating +10, Speed 12, Squad Size 40 Impossibly Agile: +1 DoS on all opposed skill tests against other fighters

Doom Scythe/Night Scythe (Assault/Bomber) Rating +5/+5, Speed 12, Squad Size 15 Multi-purpose

Tachyon Bolt (torpedo) Speed 10 Damage 2d10 Terminal Pen 5 Crit Rating: 9+ Range 200 Rating: +20 Ignores armor

NECRON DIRGE-CLASS RAIDER

Speed: 20 Maneuverability: +30 Detection: +20

Crew Rating: 30 Turrets: 1 Armour: 19 Hull Points: 40

Weapons/Slots: Prow Lightning Arc (strength 3, damage 1d10+2, crit 5, range 8)

Other Components: Command Bridge, Inertialess Drive, Sublight Engine, Intelligence Core, Crew Caskets, Augur Array

NECRON JACKAL-CLASS RAIDER

Speed: 15 Maneuverability: +25 Detection: +20

Crew Rating: 30 Turrets: 1 Armour: 20 Hull Points: 45

Weapons/Slots: Prow Lightning Arc (strength 3, damage 1d10+4, crit 5, range 8)

Other Components: Command Bridge, Inertialess Drive, Sublight Engine, Intelligence Core, Crew Caskets, Augur Array, Portal

NECRON SHROUD-CLASS LIGHT CRUISER

Speed: 10 Maneuverability: +35 Detection: +30

Crew Rating: 40 Turrets: 1 Armour: 22 Hull Points: 60

Weapons/Slots:

Prow Lightning Arc (strength 10, damage 1d10+4, crit 5, range 8) OR

Prow Launch Platform (Strength 4)

Other Components: Command Bridge, Inertialess Drive, Sublight Engine, Intelligence Core, Crew Caskets, Advanced Augur Array, Phase Shroud, Portal

NECRON SCYTHE-CLASS HARVEST SHIP

Speed: 10 Maneuverability: +25 Detection: +30

Crew Rating: 40 Turrets: 3 Armour: 22 Hull Points: 80

Weapons/Slots:

Port/Starboard Lightning Arc (strength 8, damage 1d10+4, crit 5, range 8) OR

Port/Starboard Launch Platforms (strength 4, one on each side)

Prow Gauss Particle Whip (strength 3, damage 1d10+2, crit 3, range 11) OR

Prow Tachyon Bolt Launcher (strength 3)

Dorsal Star Pulse Generator (strength 1d5, damage 1d10+1)

Other Components: Command Bridge, Inertialess Drive, Sublight Engine, Intelligence Core, Crew Caskets, Captive Processing Holds, Cryptek Lab, Tomb-Barracks, Advanced Augur Array, Portal

NECRON CAIRN-CLASS TOMBSHIP (BATTLESHIP)

Speed: 6 Maneuverability: +20 Detection: +30

Crew Rating: 50 Turrets: 4 Armour: 22 Hull Points: 100

Weapons/Slots:

Prow Lightning Arc (strength 20, damage 1d10+4, crit 5, range 8)

Prow Launch Platform (strength 10) OR

Prow Tachyon Bolt Launcher (strength 5) OR

Prow Gauss Particle Whip (strength 4, damage 1d10+4, crit 3, range 11)

Dorsal Star Pulse Generator (strength 1d5+2, damage 1d10+1) OR

Dorsal Sepulchre (strength 1, damage 1d10+4)

Other Components: Command Bridge, Inertialess Drive, Sublight Engine, Intelligence Core, Crew Caskets, Cryptek Lab, Tomb-Barracks, Throne Room, Advanced Augur Array, Resurrection Ark, Portal

First its awesome :) (esp. as a Necron fan who loves their fleet) Though there has already another idea out here http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/65106-necron-fleet/

Though I have to admidt i am unsure about idea of reactive hulls... the rolling under means that it ignores the small amounts of but still suffer griviously from worst of damage... Consider either letting it count as a forcefield.. or giving them damage reduction. something that is more akin of the fluff as i see it.. Necron ships a suposed to be ridiculously resistent to damage... considering giving damage reduction that is always subtracted from the damage first. For instance something like damage reduction 2 for raiders, 4 for shroud, 6 for scythe and 10 for Cairn.. That way they would be capable of taking a massive beating... and 1d10+3 that deal 0,1,2 or 3 damage lance suddenly seem less fearsome for ship with no shield, than an 1d10+3 lance that deals either 0 or 6-13 damage..

Another question: why does the Cairn not have any port/starboard slots? and shouldn't it have armour and hull points?

Just stuff off the top of my head :)

I considered going with a "forcefield" setup first, but decided to avoid it, on the grounds that it adds "yet another roll" to every damage hit and would ultimately slow down combat. The reactive hull rules I posted here have the advantage of using an existing roll, and it would mean that a "really good" damage roll doesn't necessarily feel wasted.

I could always use damage reduction instead, but since Armor already is damage reduction, that would be a little weird--and sure, it would affect lances too, but giving Necrons two armor scores (effectively) is going to make actually destroying a Necron vessel ridiculously hard--much harder than in BFG, where their typical save only provides them a percentage miss chance (I based the "reactive armor" numbers off that original miss chance.

...Also, to be fair, that 1d10+3 lance would only have a 30% chance of doing 1-3 damage, as opposed to the 50% chance it would have of doing decent damage in this case. The former would mean that combat would take an average of 50 hits, or about 150 successful shots, which would really make the combat drag.

Armor and hull points are listed (22 and 100, respectively), but you're right, I missed the port/starboard weapons.

...Huh. Wait, I take that back. Necron Cairn-class tombships don't have broadsides--they only have weapons that fire in left/front/right or all around. I think Battleship-size prow weapons can fire in those arcs, but if I'm wrong, I'll change them to dorsal.

Edited by Wizzardman

...Also, to be fair, that 1d10+3 lance would only have a 30% chance of doing 1-3 damage, as opposed to the 50% chance it would have of doing decent damage in this case. The former would mean that combat would take an average of 50 hits, or about 150 successful shots, which would really make the combat drag.

Armor and hull points are listed (22 and 100, respectively), but you're right, I missed the port/starboard weapons.

...Huh. Wait, I take that back. Necron Cairn-class tombships don't have broadsides--they only have weapons that fire in left/front/right or all around. I think Battleship-size prow weapons can fire in those arcs, but if I'm wrong, I'll change them to dorsal.

Thats Necron ship for you :P no, it should be comparable with an Emperor class Battleship (which the cairn are a great deal more exensive than, in BFG points)... though ten damage reduction IS too high, i can see that... 8 might be better? Necron ship are not ships you fight one-on-one

And you are right, THEY CAN fire in all direction... **** its been too long since i played BFG with my freak of a necron ships... same goes for the freaking 6 lances... oh the memories that comes back XD

still a strength 20 barrage in BFG is brutal... a strength 20 battery seem pretty pointless, in RT you will never land that many hits (unless i miss something)... you could always say that it is allowed be split up to multiple attacks against a single ship to the minimum strength used is strenght 4...

I'll agree that a strength 20 barrage is mostly wasted when you're not facing multiple ships. The Cairn is supposed to be a boss battle--one where multiple ships can be involved, and it will still take numerous hits to take down. It has several weapons for facing down individual ships with (Lightning Arc, Particle Whip, Pulse Generator/Sepulchre)... I'm not really sure it needs more than that. Remember: we want it to be possible for the players to win. We just want them to take a lot of damage first.

DR 8 would only reduce the number of successful shots required to 70. That's still a lot of shots for any one encounter. I mean, we're not even factoring in how often the PCs will simply miss. And again, we're only counting lance shots here--macrobattery shots will have to get past both armor 22 and DR 8. If you're using Mathhammer, that's literally impossible. If you aren't, your total shots have to exceed a total of 30 DR just to damage them. If we assume average damage, NPC ships can't make enough successes to do that, unless they're elite crews and they rolled less than 10. PCs can do that... but we're back to a single ship slowly plinking the opposition.

I dunno. DR isn't terrible, but I like the idea of giving the PCs the opportunity to get in a few hard hits a lot more than forcing them to slowly plink away at their opponent.

I'll agree that a strength 20 barrage is mostly wasted when you're not facing multiple ships. The Cairn is supposed to be a boss battle--one where multiple ships can be involved, and it will still take numerous hits to take down. It has several weapons for facing down individual ships with (Lightning Arc, Particle Whip, Pulse Generator/Sepulchre)... I'm not really sure it needs more than that. Remember: we want it to be possible for the players to win. We just want them to take a lot of damage first.

Well, it DOES make a good boos, considering how brutal it is should definitely be used with caution... Something like this could definitely waste a anything a rogue trader can get their hands on, if given the chance for focus-fire

I dunno. DR isn't terrible, but I like the idea of giving the PCs the opportunity to get in a few hard hits a lot more than forcing them to slowly plink away at their opponent.

Well, i think if you really want the PCs to shine consider giving it something that allows to byepass the damage reduction, or deal some heavy damage, that way, their small ship can outdo anything imperial fleet can come up with... Or ofc Board the ship, and kill the Nemesor...

Can is ask what the story is? (unless your players also lurk on the forum ofc) :)

No story as of yet--I mostly built it as a "just in case they stir up a Necron hornets nest" in an upcoming campaign. They've already declared an interest in becoming "pirate hunters", so I set up a small arc where they pursue what turns out to be a Shroud class vessel, and encounter a few harvesters along the way. If they turn out to be really interested in Necron-related shenanigans, I thought having a Cairn class around as a boss battle would be a good way to stretch and wrap up that arc.

This will be our third RT campaign (first one I've run), so I'm fairly certain these guys will come up with some ridiculously powerful ship designs.

I'd recommend not giving the ships any shielding, and not giving them damage resistance/reduction - instead just increase their armour values so that at each ship class it is a good 2 to 3 points higher than an average Imperial ship. Then for their reactive armour system allow them regenerate an amount of HI each round automatically, which can be increased if they do a repair action. For example 1d5+1 auto HI regeneration, or 1d10+2 if they do an action for it.

I'm not sure about upping their armor any higher--for the same reason I'd like to avoid damage reduction. They already only take damage from Mars-pattern or equivalent macrobatteries on 3 hits or higher (assuming average rolls)--and if you're using Mathhammer, they only take macrobattery hits on a roll of 8 or higher! I think their current armor is pretty close to what "armor 6" (their equivalent in BFG) translates to for Imperial ships.

Regeneration is tempting... though it is one of the rules most often forgotten by GMs mid-combat, and players tend to hate it. And it doesn't really map with the BFG stats. Still, it fits Necrons very well, and has some advantages--especially at keeping ships relevant in encounters. But if the PCs are only plinking at it, they may feel a little cheated.

Think there's any chance FF will release a "Rogue Traders in the Jericho Reach" splatbook? I'd love to see some official Necron vessel stats.

Edited by Wizzardman

Unfortunately considering the direction that Dark Heresy 2.0 is taking, i'd expect them to cease production of RT in the next year and start a beta for 2.0 also...

That's true. Hmm... I wonder if they'll end up changing sectors. I'd like to see a Jericho Sector book out there.

Remember that in the official time RT and DW is set in the Imperium doesnt even know what a Necron is and have probably not encountered a major force of Necrons at all. Look at the adventure "The Emperor Protects"... In it the Necron stuff the players encounter is not openly stated as Necron stuff, indeed there is little in the way to figure out what xeno race built all those thingies, other than players recognizing it - which still does not mean that their chars know what the hell it is. And the PCs in DW are Deathwatch marines, ergo xeno specialists.

As of 817 M41 the Necrons are mostly still napping in their tomb worlds... But then again, as GM your power trumps canon :D

//The Necrons were not officially involved in the Gothic War... Although the mysterious destruction of several of the Blackstones could be their doing.