Talent Resistance - Psychic Powers Clarification Needed.

By ExGemini, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

As stated in the title I would like to request a quick clarification on how the resistance works agaist psychic powers, especially the one that does damage like Smite and such.

if a marine is hit by a psychic power, he rolls on toughness with a +10 and what happens if it pass, no damage?

I dont really agree with it applying to things like this since how can a bit of mental fortification stop you being ripped apart by the warp?

I basically consider the resistance as:

"Psychic Powers (Mental/Body)"

IE: Resistance against powers that mess with your mind and body but not actual damage ones.

IE: Resistance against powers that mess with your mind and body but not actual damage ones.

The Strong Minded talent overlaps significantly with your narrow interpretation. On the other hand, a broad interpretation, following the same line of thought, would overlap with Abhor the Witch, rendering one of those redundant.

My interpretation is this: When having the Resistance: Psy Powers trait, the character gains +10 to Willpower tests, whenever he would otherwise be allowed to take the test anyway . So no extra opportunity to take the test, but bonus when occasion for test occurs.

Edited by musungu

The Strong Minded talent overlaps significantly with your narrow interpretation. On the other hand, a broad interpretation, following the same line of thought, would overlap with Abhor the Witch, rendering one of those redundant.

My interpretation is this: When having the Resistance: Psy Powers trait, the character gains +10 to Willpower tests, whenever he would otherwise be allowed to take the test anyway . So no extra opportunity to take the test, but bonus when occasion for test occurs.

So ... in short let's say that if a spychic power in a way or another affects the mind or the body of the marine (not a simple direct damage), he should have the roll?

So ... in short let's say that if a spychic power in a way or another affects the mind or the body of the marine (not a simple direct damage), he should have the roll?

Well, the way I understand it, if the psychic power calls for a roll, he gets +10 to it (while others roll without modification). Resistance does not give extra opportunity for a roll, but if you must have one, it gives you better chances to succeed.

Well, the way I understand it, if the psychic power calls for a roll, he gets +10 to it (while others roll without modification). Resistance does not give extra opportunity for a roll, but if you must have one, it gives you better chances to succeed.

That I do understand.

I was puzzled on the chance to roll to resist.

The manual do not specify any condition in where the player can use this ability, nor the psychic powers for the matter :)

Every psy power has an "Opposed:" entry. If set to "Yes", targets resist with Willpower unless stated otherwise in the description.

Alex

Every psy power has an "Opposed:" entry. If set to "Yes", targets resist with Willpower unless stated otherwise in the description.

Alex

Oh this makes more sense.

In short if there is "opposed" in the description, there is a willpower roll with a +10 due the resist talent?

That I do understand.

I was puzzled on the chance to roll to resist.

The manual do not specify any condition in where the player can use this ability, nor the psychic powers for the matter :)

I don't think it gives you a chance to roll for totally ignoring the effect of a psychic power. It would be a brutal buff. So no extra rolls for my players, at least :)

What I have in mind as possible areas of application are those powers, where you have to take an opposed test (Telepathy powers, certain Chapter powers like Fear of Darkness or Mind Worm, or in case of the baddies, Wind of Chaos), or when the description of the power explicitly mentions a willpower test, like Bolt of Change. When the text mentions a different test as a result of a psychic power, like the Space Wolves' Living Lightning forcing an Agility test, I'd add the +10 to the test too, and describe how the character has a few nanoseconds more than his mates until the power takes effect, thanks to his natural resistance or years of training.

Think about Resistance (Cold) for example. The guy having the trait has a better chance to survive in the void in a breached suit, because when everyone rolls for Toughness, he has the best chances. On the other hand, if a slab of ice falls on the kill-team's head, I don't see how his trait is relevant :)

Edited by musungu

Alex

In short if there is "opposed" in the description, there is a willpower roll with a +10 due the resist talent?

yes, that was what I tried to communicate. I have the tendency to go overboard and type walls of text when trying to be exact, sorry :) I'm not at fault, my university is :)

Alex

If it says "Opposed: Yes", there is a (an opposed) Willpower roll for any target to resist the effects. The +10 from Resistance (Psychic Powers) applies to that indeed. If it says "Opposed: No", the psyker only needs to succeed on his Focus Power for the power to come into effect.

Alex

Marines are trained to see through the glamours of the warp and steel their mind against the witch so if a psyker attmpts to say make them fire their bolt gun at a fellow brother this will almost certainly require a WP test of some kind which the Marines would get +10Wp for.

If the witch decides to psychically summon a ball of flame or pick up a rock and drop it on the marine then having high mental fortitude is of limited use hence no Wp check and cannot use Resistance psychic.

It is is worth noting that often the abilities that don't allow a Wp check don't bypass armour or toughness so the Marine still gets the benefit of Unnatural Toughness and Power Armour which should (in theory) be ample protection against any such psychic assault. One may speculate that Unnatural Toughness bonus that PC get includes a certain element of resilence against physical psychic damage.