Is REFUSAL an good ?

By privateer5, in Star Wars: Destiny

A few friends of my are really excited by the new card REFUSAL

Downgrade

Damage symbols (all 3 of them) on attached character's character dice are resources symbols instead

After attached character is dealt damage, discard this downgrade.

They think it will halt my Vader/3 deck unless I have a downgrade removel card

From my reading of the rules I can resolve my own damage dice against myself so it may slow me down but it's not a game changer

Refusal is an annoying card, but not as good as your friends think, because :

1) You're right. The rules for direct and melee damage doesn't say it has to be an opponents character, so if you want Darth vader to cut off his own arm, go ahead 🙂 . Of course, the round you roll 2 x 4 melee damage, is the round they play Refusal 🙂

2) Refusal only affects Character dice. Any upgrades on Vader works as normal. Use "Become One" and "Legacies" to play around the effect...You should consider those cards anyway.

3) Do they really want Darth Vader to have all those ressources ? I assume you have Vader's Fist in your deck, but why not include additional supports ? The new superlaser siege cannon gets nasty real quick, if you have lots of ressources and so does the new Pulse cannon...or you can just use honed skills and tool Vader up with 4 light sabers.

4) You should really consider Breaking Bonds or Unshackle. There are several other downgrades that are equally annoying and/or dangerous. Mind extraction, Hampered and Target Acquired comes to mind.

5) Protective Suit will put an end to that kind of nonsense. 🙂

Edited by Lindgaard

I looked everywhere to see if ranged & melee could be dealt to oneself ... & ONLY indirect says "Deals damage to an OPPONENT'S character(s)". The other 2 say, "deal damage to A character". But frankly i wouldn't mind having that many resources for one round then dink myslef for 1 or 2 to get rid of the downgrade next round to play 2 or 3 upgrades on a character in one round. That sounds disastrous for the person who played refusal.

For the money, Mind Extraction is the best/worst downgrades in the game. I call it the Palp-Killer.

7 hours ago, LandoC said:

I looked everywhere to see if ranged & melee could be dealt to oneself ... & ONLY indirect says "Deals damage to an OPPONENT'S character(s)". The other 2 say, "deal damage to A character". But frankly i wouldn't mind having that many resources for one round then dink myslef for 1 or 2 to get rid of the downgrade next round to play 2 or 3 upgrades on a character in one round. That sounds disastrous for the person who played refusal.

For the money, Mind Extraction is the best/worst downgrades in the game. I call it the Palp-Killer.

Indirect cannot be dealt to yourself without a card effect. Ranged and Melee damage can