Pathfinder to Genesys Conversion Formulas and Setting

By sevick, in Genesys

*FG Hotfix Update*

Added a hotfix patch to the Fantasy Grounds extension. You should be able to drag weapons die from Melee (Light) or Melee (Heavy) weapons now from the combat tracker.

Bare with me but I think I may finaly have it. Strain exspenature seemed unavoidable but then I came up with this. Let me know what you think.

Weapons
You may roll a magic die with your attack roll once per encounter per +1 enchantment bonus. With the magic die you spend white pips to add success or advantage to your roll.
For example if you have a +3 Longsword you have 3 magic die expenditures per encounter.
Armor
You may roll a magic die after an attack targeting you once per encounter per +1 enchantment bonus.
With the magic die you may add failure or threat to the attack targeting you after it has been rolled.
For example if you had +5 Scalemail you have 5 magic die expenditures per encounter.
These expenditures may be spent throughout the encounter or used all at once.

Edited by sevick

I think since a lot of time seems to pass between uploads I think it would be a good idea to let you know what I have been working on. That way I can get feed back.

---Magic Item Charges--

Wands: wands will no longer have charges per-say, but you may spend a Despair for a wand to run out of charges.

Staffs: Same as wands except you may spend 3 Threat or a Despair for it to run out of charges

It seemed to make the most sense use charges as ammo, since it's one less thing you need to track. The difference between wands and staves; pathfinder staves only have 10 charges and wands 50, it makes sense they staves are more likely to run out.

---Improvised spells vs. Known Spells---

I have deiced for awhile know to make the Genesys spell casting system merge with pathfinder spells. I have come to realize that most people would just try to imitate a known pathfinder spell using the Improvised rules. To discourage this I have added an intensive to people who use known spells. Which is, whenever a Despair is rolled when making a spell check with a known spell the caster may flip a story point to avoid the narrative effect of the Despair. The Despair, however still adds a failure to the pool.

This could also be explained that known spells have been carefully studied and crafted and proven to avoid some of the more common pitfalls. Yes I could have made the Improvised spells roll an automatic upgrade to their difficulty, but I don't want the Improvised spell caster to feel like I am unfairly putting restrictions on the spell casting from Genesys.

What if known spells got an automatic Boost die? Or you could decide that known spells are basically Signature Spells, which get their difficulty reduced by 1. If you went that route, I'd remove the Signature spell talent from the setting.

Edited by lbwoodard
quoted text was causing formatting issues

Removing a difficulty die, that wouldn't work since all known spells have a set difficulty based on the class that is casting it and I think it might be a bit too op for something that is automatic. As far as the boost die idea, I did think of a boost die at 1st but thought it might not be a big enough incentive. The boost idea could work.

So I think talent choices can help here.

Magic Scholar
Tier: 2
Activation: Passive
Ranked: No
When you choose this talent pick a school of magic. You may remove a [Setback Die] when casting a spell of that type.

Magic Scholar (Improved)
Tier: 3
With your chosen school of magic you may add a [Boost Die] when casting a spell instead of removing a [Setback Die].

This is a big deal since removing setback dice from spells is not allowed with talents like Knack for it. If I did this I wouldn't add the ignoring Despair rule.

23 hours ago, sevick said:

This is a big deal since removing setback dice from spells is not allowed with talents like Knack for it. If I did this I wouldn't add the ignoring Despair rule.

hmm ... the Magic Scholar Talent does not feel right IMHO

to compare with "Touch of Fate", "Uncanny Senses", "Forager" and "Knack for it" -- there should always be 2 setback ignored,
since the " pick a school of magic" limitation is a little less severe than the "no combat or magic skill"

my reinterpretation:

Magic Scholar
When you choose this talent pick a school of magic  . You may ignore two [Setback Die] when casting a spell of that type.

Magic Scholar (Improved)
You need to have the "Magic Scholar" Talent to benefit from this Talent.
With your chosen school of magic you may add two [Boost Die] when casting instead of removing two [Setback Die]

Magic Scholar (Greater)
Tier: 4
You need to have the "Magic Scholar (Improved)" Talent to benefit from this Talent.
With your chosen school of magic you may downgrade the Difficulty once when casting instead.

Magic Scholar (Supreme)
Tier: 5
You need to have the "Magic Scholar (Greater)" Talent to benefit from this Talent.
With your chosen school of magic you may upgrade your dice pool once when casting instead.

Yes those talents do have 2 setback, but all the talents pointedly avoid removing setback for combat and magic checks for balance reasons. True there is a limiting factor of choosing a school of magic, but I am not sure it is enough to warrant 2 setback removal and especial adding 2 boost. When all the spells are converted there will be no shortage of spells they will benefit from this talent. I find for the most part when dealing with magic its best to error on the side of less powerful, then if it doesn't feel worth it raise it.

Thanks for the advice I will keep it in mind :) .

So was thinking about doing this.

Unarmed Strike

Ranked: Ranked

Choose one when you take this talent. Your unarmed attacks now deal +1 damage or need 1 less advantage to activate a critical to a minimum of 1.

Right now Monks are the focus.

Stunning Fist
Tier: 1
Activation: Active (Maneuver)
Effect: Spend 2 strain and give your next unarmed brawl check the Disorient quality, with a rating equal to your ranks in brawl.

Stunning Fist (Improved)
Effect: Once per encounter you may spend 2 strain and 2 advantage to have your next successful unarmed brawl check immobilize your target a number of rounds equal to your brawl rating.

Stunning Fist (Supreme)
Effect: Once per season you may spend 2 strain and give your next unarmed brawl check the Concussive quality, with a rating equal to your ranked in brawl.

There wasn't a item quality except tractor that immobilizes so I just was more specific for Stunning Fist (Improved). All the tallents require the 2 advantage per usual.

Edited by sevick

you might want to check out the supplement Ready....Fight by Keith Kappal at the drivethrough RPG foundery. But its ofc something new and not adjusted to your conversion system but it has some good ideas on unarmed attacks.

About your suggested talents.

There is a quality that immobilizes its called Ensnare. In ROT p. 88 there is the exploit talent

Activation: Active (Incidental)
Ranked: Yes
When your character makes a combat check with a Ranged or
Melee (Light) weapon, they may suffer 2 strain to use this talent
to add the Ensnare quality to the attack. The rating of the
Ensnare quality is equal to your character’s ranks in Exploit.

So might be just to modify this to apply to unarmed combat.

Your tier 2 talent unarmed strike is a little to good. Its trying to combine to talents from the starwars line. Lethal blows and Iron body into 1.

IRON BODY
Ranked: Yes
Remove ■ per rank of Iron Body from Coordination and Resilience checks. Reduce the critical rating of unarmed attacks by 1 per rank of Iron Body (to a minimum of 1).

The lethal blows just increase melee and brawl attack damage by 1 per rank.

The disorient for 2 strain is kinda low. Considering that you could use something like a Cestus from ROT p. 94 which has disorient rank 3. But i guess your trying to make it worth while fighting with only your fist ?

Other talents from Starwars to consider might be.

Unarmed Parry: May Parry while unarmed. Reduce the strain cost to Parry while unarmed by 1 (minimum 1).

Martial Grace: Once per round, suffer 2 strain to add damage equal to ranks in Coordination to the next Brawl check made this turn.

Yeah I forgot about ensnare. Thanks.

Also there are weapons that have the Disorient quality.

As for Unarmed Strike I think Martial Grace is a good fit, just reskin it as Unarmed strike.

You have given me some good feed back thanks.

So this is the revised version.

Stunning Fist
Effect: Spend 3 strain and give your next unarmed brawl check the Disorient quality, with a rating equal to your ranks in Coordination.

Stunning Fist (Improved)
Effect: Once per encounter you may spend 3 strain and give your next unarmed brawl check the Ensnare quality, with a rating equal to your ranks in Coordination

Stunning Fist (Supreme)
Effect: Once per session you may spend 3 strain and give your next unarmed brawl check the Concussive  quality, with a rating equal to your ranked in Coordination. 

So recently I am being made increasingly aware of the difficulty of the task making conversion rules. One being soak, damage reduction, natural armor, and spell resistance. Since soak in genesys reduces magic damage and physical damage. It's hard to make conversion from a system that separates them.

One of the only ways I thought this could be done is to have separate soaks one for magic and one for magic. Well I wasnt about to do that. The problem lies if you increase the soak based on natural armor or Damage Reduction. That same soak blocks magic as well as physical and isnt a very good representation of the creatures defenses.

So long story short, I looked at the pathfinder 2E Bestiary and it seems to move closer to the narrative system than Pathfinder 1E. So I have decided to make conversion rules to go from 1E to 2E. I don't even know if anyone actualy uses these rules but it might take sometime for me to get the 2E conversion guidelines to where I want them especially since my life has gotten more crazy.

So I am back and deiced to stick with 1st edition for now, since it has the most content. There are some things in the works just thought I would share them.

1st: I am giving the class their own talents. I new I wanted to do this but, the Gamemasters Eclectic toolbox, on the foundry, idea was just what I need. Each class will have a set of talents that belong to 1 of 3 categories. These categories will be themed much like trees in Edge had different themes you could choose. Each category will have at least 1 of each tier for each category. These talents will be converted abilities of the class found in pathfinder.

2nd: That being said There is some things that needs to be play tested.

Quivering Palm

Activation: Active (Action)

Once per Session you may make unarmed attack and if successful the target must make a Hard ([D][D][D]) Resilience Check. If the target fails the next unarmed crit scored on the target made by the monk is with the Vicious 4 quality.

New Magic Weapon Mechanic

Instead of using the Force die for this I thought I would try a method without it.

Weapons with a +X bonus is given the "Magic" weapon quality. Which does the following:

With this weapon you may add Success or Advantage on your attack roll or you may add Failure or Threat to an attackers roll if it is an armor. You may add a number of these symbols equal to the rating each encounter. You may use them all in one attack or spread them out.

3rd: I am going to store everything to my Fantasy Grounds Module for easy play and testing. Later I will put it into a PDF Format. For those of you who have fantasy grounds I could still do some uploads every so often, but I want a more clear picture of how I am going to accomplish certain areas of the setting.

On 4/1/2020 at 8:48 PM, sevick said:

Quivering Palm

Activation: Active (Action)

Once per Session you may make unarmed attack and if successful the target must make a Hard ([D][D][D]) Resilience Check. If the target fails the next unarmed crit scored on the target made by the monk is with the Vicious 4 quality.

I love the flavor of this talent, but I have a design question. Given how different the mechanics of Genesys are compared to Pathfinder, would it make more sense to have the talent read:

"Once per Session, you may make an apposed Brawl vs Resilience check (minimum Hard[ DDD.png ] difficulty ) against a target you are engaged with. A successful check lowers the Critical rating of the next Brawl check you make against this target by 1 to a minimum of 1 and adds the Vicious 4 quality to the attack."

I suggest this because I prefer to reduce the number of checks needed to move the story forward. The opportunity for advantage, threat, triumph, and despair to sneak in on unnecessary rolls can derail the narrative and bog down play. That being said, I also enjoy the suspense created by the save or suck checks in Pathfinder, and this is your baby, not mine! Just my two cents! Whatever you decide to do, just know that I've gotten a huge amount of enjoyment from your conversion! My friend and I are wrapping up a conversion of the first book in the Wrath of the Righteous AP tonight, and I've used a LOT of your work as inspiration (i.e., I stole at least half of it 😅 😇 ) for converting checks and determining difficulty. Thanks for sharing all your great work, and keep it up!