Figure Assembly?

By Doom Hammer, in Runewars Miniatures Game

I noticed from one of the videos released on the forum recentely that it was mentioned assembly would be required for the figures.

https://youtu.be/snqXF9QoKLc?t=141

I am wondering How much assembly will be needed? and if anyone has any firm info on this.

I have posted the video so it will link to the time frame when it is mentioned about the assembly

cheers

Very little. No sprues, just stick the peg in the socket.

Larger Imperial Assault figures require mild assembly, but they just snap together and fit snugly. And they come separate. They do not have to be plucked off plastic tubing. In general, it's just to require less packing space and actually helps a lot when painting a large or complex figure

Apparaently glue is either needed or recommendend, though. Thankfully for beginners, working with plastic glue is quite easy compared to the classic assembly of metal miniatures.

Edited by Nalim

Apparaently glue is either needed or recommendend, though. Thankfully for beginners, working which is plastic glue is quite easy compared to the classic assembly of metal miniatures.

Yes, thus far RW seems definitely geared to the new hobbyist, and shouldn't prove challenging at all. managing sprue piece identification, and trimming and adhering fiddly small pieces would be a deal breaker for a lot of the crowd RW seems marketed to IMO.

Yes, thus far RW seems definitely geared to the new hobbyist, and shouldn't prove challenging at all. managing sprue piece identification, and trimming and adhering fiddly small pieces would be a deal breaker for a lot of the crowd RW seems marketed to IMO.

Oddly enough, I find myself actually enjoying the process of cutting sprues. Although just like painting miniatures or sleeving cards, once a certain threshold is passed, it stops being soothing and starts being annoying.

Oddly enough, I find myself actually enjoying the process of cutting sprues. Although just like painting miniatures or sleeving cards, once a certain threshold is passed, it stops being soothing and starts being annoying.

Yes it's not as bad some here think, i enjoy bulding miniatures more so when i have a choice of heads, weapons or little extra bits to make the miniature my own and also modern metal miniatures are easily assembled using a good superglue but i have to say i have been doing it for years and i undertsand it can look challenging to newbies.

I normally listen to music or audiobooks or watch tv while assembling miniatures and i do the same minus wtaching tv of course when i paint.

Assembly-wise, you don't need to remove from sprues, but if you plan on painting, you'll need to cut and file flash molding. At least, this was true of Imperial Assault (and all of FFG's minis, actually).

I haven't glued any of my figures, but my AT-ST from IA hasn't fallen apart yet. My BattleLore figures could use some glue, though. The Chaos Lord and the Roc Warrior always fall apart. I'll glue them if/when I get around to painting them.

I share all this because it sounds like RuneWars will be a very similar deal.

I was hoping they would be like most decent miniatures and needing nothing doing at all. I have done the rounds with assembling and painting and if they have no assembly on small figures and limited on larger ones I might give this a go unpainted at first and see if I like the mechanics and can enjoy the game, which from what I have seen so far, looks interesting enough to try out, but will greatly depend on assembling. I have the skills to assemble and paint to a good standard, but have been at it for a long time now and I can't afford the time or get up the enthusiasm to start painting another army of figures, plus I can't spare the storage space for more figure boxes. I know a lot of you guys will embrace this full on and all the best to you, however I will need a game that I can put back in the back after each play, so I might be out on this one.

I was hoping they would be like most decent miniatures and needing nothing doing at all. I have done the rounds with assembling and painting and if they have no assembly on small figures and limited on larger ones I might give this a go unpainted at first and see if I like the mechanics and can enjoy the game, which from what I have seen so far, looks interesting enough to try out, but will greatly depend on assembling. I have the skills to assemble and paint to a good standard, but have been at it for a long time now and I can't afford the time or get up the enthusiasm to start painting another army of figures, plus I can't spare the storage space for more figure boxes. I know a lot of you guys will embrace this full on and all the best to you, however I will need a game that I can put back in the back after each play, so I might be out on this one.

It's really not like building a model at all. You don't have to line anything up or hold anything in place while the glue dries. They're made to plug in only one way, so just like they said in the video, you put a drop of glue on the peg, plug it into the hole, and you're done. You maybe have 4 pieces that just plug in together, I'm guessing. In the BattleLore core, the Chaos Lord needs one arm and the tail plugged in -- that's it. The Roc Warrior is in two halves that just fit together (unless you count its clear stand and base, similar to an X-Wing ship). If what they said on the video is true, assembly will be very trivial.

EDIT: So I was off by a little bit. The Chaos Lord is in 4 pieces and the Roc Warrior is in 3 (not including the clear peg and blue base, which makes 5 pieces total). The Obscenes and Rune Golems are 2 pieces each. The Riverwatch Riders, Citadel Guards, Yeoman Archers, Viper Legion, Blood Harvesters, and Flesh Ripper Brutes are all single-pieces with no assembly.

Edited by Budgernaut

... so the Runewars miniatures will be no hard plastic on a sprue then :( . I have my concerns about the miniatures quality, especially the material which they will consist of. So will it be PVC or Restic, or some kind of cheap "boardgame plastic"?

This would make me very sad as an old tabletop veteran, who likes hard plastic in sprues and all of available options and extra bits within those. I really hope for a great material and sharp details on the miniatures, because in my opinion the success of a tabletop game stands or falls with the quality of the miniatures (and there design of course) and the rules (which iam very imrpessed positively at the moment :) ).

So we will have to wait and see, when we have more infos for that and pictures of unpainted miniatures, i think.

They will be same quality as IA which has fantastic miniatures.

... so the Runewars miniatures will be no hard plastic on a sprue then :( . I have my concerns about the miniatures quality, especially the material which they will consist of. So will it be PVC or Restic, or some kind of cheap "boardgame plastic"?

This would make me very sad as an old tabletop veteran, who likes hard plastic in sprues and all of available options and extra bits within those. I really hope for a great material and sharp details on the miniatures, because in my opinion the success of a tabletop game stands or falls with the quality of the miniatures (and there design of course) and the rules (which iam very imrpessed positively at the moment :) ).

So we will have to wait and see, when we have more infos for that and pictures of unpainted miniatures, i think.

I think we can be quite sure the final miniatures will at least match those of GenCon and the screenshots. Releasing with miniatures less detailed than the marketing materials would most likely burn FFG in the tabletop miniatures scene for years to come and I'm sure they know that. Since renders are already finished (they have prototypes after all), they still have at least three months to get those perfect results, As far as I know, that's way more than industry standard.

It's really not like building a model at all. You don't have to line anything up or hold anything in place while the glue dries. They're made to plug in only one way, so just like they said in the video, you put a drop of glue on the peg, plug it into the hole, and you're done. You maybe have 4 pieces that just plug in together, I'm guessing. In the BattleLore core, the Chaos Lord needs one arm and the tail plugged in -- that's it. The Roc Warrior is in two halves that just fit together (unless you count its clear stand and base, similar to an X-Wing ship). If what they said on the video is true, assembly will be very trivial.

I would be prepared for this and give the game a green light for me.

Assembly-wise, you don't need to remove from sprues, but if you plan on painting, you'll need to cut and file flash molding. At least, this was true of Imperial Assault (and all of FFG's minis, actually).

I actually haven't painted any of my FFG minis yet - for a couple of reasons.

A quick check when coincidentally getting Descent 2E on the table today revealed no troublesome level of mold lines but indeed considerable flash on many of the smaller (1-to-2-space) figures. And while most pieces of the pre-assembled larger (4-to-6-space) figures should be snug enough, a couple of gaps look like they might require some work. All of which I actually do not enjoy dealing with. ... *sigh*

Dear Fantasy Flight, cost isn't the only reason I hate resin.

Cant figure out whats the problem with this... why is that so important if the figures need some, just a bit or no assembly???

Edited by Kentares

Cant figure out whats the problem with this... why is that so important if the figures need some, just a bit or no assembly???

Because for some individuals, assembling minis from a highly segmented sprue can be so challenging, frustrating and time consuming that it is not realistic to purchase.

I play a WW II game with troops so convoluted that I opt to pay someone more than the box costs to put the troops together.

Not everyone is willing to do this.

Really!?

For me (and anyone that I know personaly) that is a part of the hobby... never crossed my mind that one would pay someone for that. To paint minis I know some guys do that but to assemble is a first for me.

Im used to it since I started playing Battletech almost 30 years ago and later WH40K and a couple of other miniatures games (and before that I already did plane and tank modelism).

Edited by Kentares

They will be same quality as IA which has fantastic miniatures.

I have to respectfully disagree with this. The IA miniatures are average in general. Even the Bantha, which I think is a very nice mini, doesn't reach the standards set by other companies of FFG's stature in the tabletop mini space.

I haven't had a chance to see the Runewars minis up close but I will be at the Team Covenant store on Wednesday and I'll ask Zach Bunn what he thinks of their quality. I hope they are better than the IA figures.

J--

Struck me that I may have written that post ambiguously. While the blemishes listed afterward certainly don't increase the likelihood of me painting those miniatures, they actually weren't the reasons I meant, the most important one being that I like to keep stuff stored wherein it came whenever possible, so I'd be worried about chipping.

Well, speaking entirely for myself: Cutting sprues nicely prolongs the unboxing experience while not needing too much attention. And assembly has the "LEGO factor" of creating something with thine own two hands with constantly visible progress. Same goes for painting, only (usually) with additional creativity/individuality. But extensive cleanup is just an annoying chore, exacerbated by the nerve-racking risk of inflicting irreversible damage to the miniature(s) - the smaller the figure, the greater the risk.

Struck me that I may have written that post ambiguously. While the blemishes listed afterward certainly don't increase the likelihood of me painting those miniatures, they actually weren't the reasons I meant, the most important one being that I like to keep stuff stored wherein it came whenever possible, so I'd be worried about chipping.

But extensive cleanup is just an annoying chore, exacerbated by the nerve-racking risk of inflicting irreversible damage to the miniature(s) - the smaller the figure, the greater the risk.

With the right tools and a little bit of care this shouldn't be too big a problem.

The IA miniatures are average in general.

Yeah the IA models are ok, but they're not great. No where near the level of say Malifaux or GW or Warmahordes.

But based on the BoW video he seemed quite impressed with them up close. Of course those may not be final products so what the mass produced ones could be less detailed.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the latest Heroes and Monsters box for Descent had some assembly required. Glue was optional, but a good idea. It was exactly as the guy in the video said. Put a little glue on a peg and put the peg in the corresponding slot. I'm expecting the same level of assembly for RuneWars. I'm expecting that from start to finish, it will take no more than 30 minutes or so to assemble all of the models that come in the core box. Painting is another matter entirely, but assembly should be a non issue.

The IA miniatures are average in general.

Yeah the IA models are ok, but they're not great. No where near the level of say Malifaux or GW or Warmahordes.

But based on the BoW video he seemed quite impressed with them up close. Of course those may not be final products so what the mass produced ones could be less detailed.

The most recent Descent models are of a better quality than the IA models I've seen. In fact, the recent box (Mists of Bilehall?) has Reanimates in it that should be the same scale/aesthetic. They look pretty solid. As a long time GW/Warmahordes/etc painter, I can safely say that FFG has worked out most of their detail issues over the last 5 years or so.

I haven't had a chance to see the Runewars minis up close but I will be at the Team Covenant store on Wednesday and I'll ask Zach Bunn what he thinks of their quality.

I spoke to Zach last night about the Runewars minis and he said the detail was excellent, the material they are made of is better than the plastic the IA figures use. Not as good as touching them myself but promising.

I have hope for this game.

J--