ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG complete! (Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Retroclone)

By GrimAndPerilous.com, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

We have received a number of inquiries about when ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG’s Early Access PDF will go out free to the public. We made this a part of our stretch goals, and it’s a promise we intend to keep. However, our Kickstarter backers get the first slice of the cake, with CrowdOx late pledgers coming up next in line and the public last. With this in mind, we intend to make the Early Access PDF free to the public at the end of our CrowdOx campaign on October 31st.

If you don’t want to wait until November, you can still do a late pledge over at CrowdOx to get all digital PDFs immediately. This includes the Early Access PDF, the 41 page introductory adventure A Bitter Harvest, 6 pre-generated characters and a form-fillable character sheet. You’ll also receive the illustrated PDF later in November. Head over to our CrowdOx page to learn more.

We have updated our form-fillable character sheet!

* Reputation Points field on page 1

* Coins and their denominations on page 2

* Magick and Spells on page 4

* Minor layout updates pages 1-4

Did you miss out on ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG on Kickstarter? You can do a Late Pledge over at CrowdOx until October 31st.

Let us know what you think here: http://grimandperilous.com/?p=1014

Hey everyone, I just wanted to use this thread about one game to advertise for my own upcoming game, BLUNDERBUS Grim and Perilous RPG. It will be "inspired" by the first edition of a famous RPG, and purports to fix issues with it that were already fixed by the game's second edition! As part of my business plan I will buy a bunch of copies of this old game and tear out all the pages, leaving only a note with a link to my game's Kickstarter. I will then distribute these improved books within the gaming community by throwing them through the windows of everyone who ever posted a thread, played, or thought about the original game. Look for my Kickstarter this fall!

Hey everyone, I just wanted to use this thread about one game to advertise for my own upcoming game, BLUNDERBUS Grim and Perilous RPG. It will be "inspired" by the first edition of a famous RPG, and purports to fix issues with it that were already fixed by the game's second edition! As part of my business plan I will buy a bunch of copies of this old game and tear out all the pages, leaving only a note with a link to my game's Kickstarter. I will then distribute these improved books within the gaming community by throwing them through the windows of everyone who ever posted a thread, played, or thought about the original game. Look for my Kickstarter this fall!

Did you know ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG is going to have a Creative Commons License attached to it once produced? This allows gamers to reduce, remix and reuse it to their heart's content. It also means when Fantasy Flight Games , Games Workshop or some other unknown RPG compan y pulls the rug out from underneath Warhammer fans' feet next time, we'll have an open source system that's community-supported; one where the makers won't sue its fans from orbit for releasing fan pages , fan websites or their own supplements .

Perhaps we'll see Blunderbus Grim & Perilous in the near future?

Cheers~

Edited by GrimAndPerilous.com

That's a fairly graceful response. I don't really agree that your game is replacing WFRP, though, as it lacks the actual IP. There are already two good rulesets for playing WFRP. The content being written for your game is going to be legally distinct enough from WFRP that the same content could have been made without the necessity of a new game engine. I personally was more engaged eith WFRP for the unique ruleset than the setting, so a rehash of older rules has little appeal to me.

Also, you messed up the the url for Blunderbus Grim & Perilous .

ZWEI fans!

We have made a five-page PDF of the most common tracking tables you’ll use at the game table. Contained within are:

* Combat Conditions Tracker
* Social Intrigue Tracker
* Wilderness Travel Tracker
* Chase Scene Tracker

Check it out on our home page at GrimandPerilous.com

Plus, our Game Mastery PDF-only screen is ready to download for Kickstarter and CrowdOx backers. Featuring artwork from Dejan Mandic and Jussi Alarauhio, it will come in both portrait vertical and horizontal landscape formats, perfect for print-on-demand/insertion into “The World’s Greatest Screen” .

http://grimandperilous.com/?p=1018

We have some very exciting news to share for fans of WFRP 3e!

In light of the licensing issues between Games Workshop and Fantasy Flight Games , our team has been working on an optional rule to “back in” the dice mechanics from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay third edition. It took quite a bit of retooling, but fortunately, ZWEIHANDER’s ruleset has proven to be very accommodating to this approach.

Our play test phase begins tonight, to see how well they gel within ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG ‘s framework. Providing everything goes according to plan (with tweaks here and there), we will publish these optional rules as a free PDF in the coming weeks, leading up to the print edition.

Did you miss out on ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG on Kickstarter the first time around? We are keeping Late Pledges open at CrowdOx until October 31st.

Come check out the world’s first Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay retroclone/loveletter/heartbreaker/OSR/spiritual successor: ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG

Is this going to be optional? That is, will you still be able to play on d%?

Totally optional!

Totally optional!

Awesome! I'll definitely be giving it a look, then.

That sounds awesome. I think the dice pool mechanic is the #1 thing 3rd Edition did right. I don't mind any of the rest and I think some of the concepts were truly innovative but the dice mechanic is something I think needs to be pushed forward.

I'm glad to see that ZWEIHÄNDER Grim & Perilous RPG will try and accomodate it!

We have some very exciting news to share for fans of WFRP 3e!

In light of the licensing issues between Games Workshop and Fantasy Flight Games , our team has been working on an optional rule to “back in” the dice mechanics from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay third edition.

This is fabulous news. I backed this Kickstarter. Not really because I have a burning desire to go back and play a 'retro clone' of Warhammer but because I think WFRP is a truly unique and wonderful game that we all hold dear to our hearts (in whatever edition) and any attempt to keep the fan fires burning deserves to be backed and supported. So hats off to you guys for keeping it real and listening to fans of all editions of the game. I look forward to seeing the results of your narrative dice playtesting. Keep up the good work guys.

Are there any example characters on the net somewhere? I like to see character sheets to get a feel for a system.

Are there any example characters on the net somewhere? I like to see character sheets to get a feel for a system.

Definitely! You can check out the Basic Tier human Diabolist here: https://goo.gl/DKGGsx

A quick update: so far, so good. The math isn't as precise as percentile values, but falls well within the margin of error. It will require additional dice for scalability and hassle-free "retrofitting", but we're going to release a PDF so you can print your own dice faces.

We also made an Excel worksheet to determine efficacy based on the Primary Attribute Bonus. Here's an example of an average Primary Attribute using one Skill Ranks in Martial Melee at Basic Tier with a Standard Difficulty Rating: https://goo.gl/7c7kQ
As a part of our $33K Fury Die stretch goal, we promised to release Early Access PDF for free. We originally planned to wait until after Oct 31, but in celebration of Halloween weekend, you can now download the digital release over at CrowdOx!

We will provide an update next week on progress with the hardback release of ZWEIHÄNDER, along with a peek at new artwork by Dejan Mandic.

Enjoy, and let us know what you think in the comments below. If you have direct feedback on rules, please join the discussion on our forum.

Hey gang,

First things first: thanks to your feedback, we've reworked several of the Traits and addressed many of the concerns you had about rule clarity. This also includes a massive revamping of Chapter 12: Bestiary. We're working hard to get everything wrapped up soon, so we can begin shipping hardbacks in December.

For those who backed at the ZWEIHÄNDER! Tier, we have the swords on their way to the office, and will show you pics of them soon. By the way, if you didn't have a chance to back at the ZWEIHÄNDER! Tier and live in the US, we have an option now available for you over at CrowdOx.

In other news, we brought on Matthew Pook (affectionally known as Pookie) as our editor & proofreader. He is a professional editor, working for Sixtystone Press and has edited titles for Chronicle Games, Autarch LLC, Cubicle Seven Entertainment, Miskatonic River Press, Modiphius Entertainment and Triple Ace Games. Currently, Pookie also edits the Age of Cthulhu line for Goodman Games and OSR titles for Lamentations of the Flame Princess. He also is a well-known reviewer, having published each week for a decade in Steve Jackson Games’ Pyramid e-zine. We are so incredibly proud to have an industry veteran on-board to professionally edit ZWEIHÄNDER. Even with this latest addition to our team, we are still estimating to have all edits complete before the end of November.

As of October 28th, the Early Access PDF went out to the public for free. If you have a friend who didn't back on Kickstarter or didn't do a late pledge, they can now download it for free over on CrowdOx. We will bring it live on RPGNow.com later this week.

Ok, now onto art stuff! Embracing the order/chaos idea from the book, Dejan has completely reworked our interior borders. For proof of concept, our 'Mother of Dragons' Milena has created a new mock-up of Chapter 2: How To Play. See the artwork and new updates over at our Kickstarter !

Thank you for the info! I (and probably others on this particular forum) am interested in your new mechanics for backing dice for WFRP3. How do the playtest go? Any news on this topic? ;)

I keep my fingers crossed for your project.

Thank you for the info! I (and probably others on this particular forum) am interested in your new mechanics for backing dice for WFRP3. How do the playtest go? Any news on this topic? ;)

I keep my fingers crossed for your project.

The results have been good. There will be a need for additional dice, but we will have dice sticker PDFs we're finishing up, so you can print and stick on your own dice. The WFRP 3e dice market is remarkably barren at this point.

Do you mean: need for „more” dice or need for „new kind” of dice? Anyways, so far your work has been so impressive that I am delaying the start of my new campaign to check out your ideas first! :D (I am absolutely in love with WFRP3 dice) All the best to you and your team!

Do you mean: need for „more” dice or need for „new kind” of dice? Anyways, so far your work has been so impressive that I am delaying the start of my new campaign to check out your ideas first! :D (I am absolutely in love with WFRP3 dice) All the best to you and your team!

More of the same dice in this case. Here's a sneak peak at our dice stickers

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzBW3uJTeayya3lLakx3RmRnaVE/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzBW3uJTeayyUkh4a3FvZjNTWW8/view?usp=sharing

ZWEIHÄNDER fans!

As of 3:26PM central, Matthew Pook completed his edits for ZWEIHÄNDER! He managed to cut out a lot of the redundancy, eliminated the more confusing elements and massively swept out font errors, typos and removed excessive use of semicolons. We also backed in many of the errors the community caught, and updated several rules in the book that were confusing. We are so incredibly lucky to have him onboard to bring ZWEIHÄNDER to market!

In the meanwhile, take a look at a few snapshots from our early proof of chapters 1-3. Dejan and our Mother of Dragons Milena have been working hard to whip this book into shape, and it shows. Note that we still have a long way to go, as we're still working on font sizing, image nudging, borders and other technical changes for print. They are by no means final: