Expansions ?

By Crusaderlord, in Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Ok i know the game isnt even out yet but this is the best news release i have had since i stumbled in 1995 into Gamesworkshop and saw Warhammer Quest on the shelf. I bought it instantly and still have a painted set with the expansions. Great game.

So i am guessing it doesnt quite suit the LCG format - however what i do hope for is expansion sets with new heroes and quests to play. Whilst this could be considered LCG a little, i am thinking more like Descent box sets which have a new storyline, suitable monsters and heroes.

Four heroes i am sure just wont seem enough before long, if we go with the original Warhammer Quest we could have a second set - i would love to see a Witch Hunter and a Knight but there are plenty to consider.

Anyway a big thank you from me for this release. I was already a big fantasy flight fan and collector (Descent 2nd, Battlelore 2nd, Lord of the Rings LCG, Eldrich Horror, Kingsburg & Dungeonquest), but this is awesome.

Edited by Crusaderlord

I suppose it will depend on the sales but I find it harder to believe FFG not doing expansions than vice versa

I think it will be a huge hit. Can't wait for pre orders to begin. As for expansions..... It's FFG..... enough said.

I suppose it will depend on the sales but I find it harder to believe FFG not doing expansions than vice versa

This. As long as the line's sales are high, expansions will come. I've never witnessed anything different in FFG's lines. Good games selling well get expansions (if the game's expandable, of course, but WHQ has plenty of space for expansions)

I will say it like this - on one video from GenCon the designer of WHQ:ACG was asked about expansions and his anwser - was time will tell, the game can be eaxpanded becouse of many options it has. There could be a new campain, enemies or even heroes.

So if it sales then they will make expansions and it's not an LCG so this could also end like Rune Age with only base set + 1 expansion if any.

Edited by Beren Eoath

IF FFG promise me some expansions THEN i buy it ASAP thats for sure ;)

I think they may have stayed away from calling it a LCG because the game has no deck building to it at all. I can see this getting a steady stream of expansions though just like Descent or Imperial Assault as long as sales of the game can justify it. That would be good enough for me.

I hope they will have expansions, but also hope they will be real expansions. In pathfinder, for example, they had the base game broken into "expansion" and there was no replayability this way.

EDIT: Though I do trust FFG in this manner...

Edited by Ctulu

From what we know of the game so far, I think we may assume the expansions will take the form of some sort of 'adventure pack'. New characters, missions, enemys and more cards to add to the various 'decks' that feature in the game.

I predict expansions to come in boxes similar to LCG deluxe boxes. The quest cards are pretty big and you'd need a big enough package for those. Also, it seemed in one video like the lack of deckbuilding is one of the points they are trying to use to promote the game. It's supposed to make it more accessible. If that is true, I could imagine each expansion coming with it's own enemy and location decks.

I predict expansions to come in boxes similar to LCG deluxe boxes. The quest cards are pretty big and you'd need a big enough package for those. Also, it seemed in one video like the lack of deckbuilding is one of the points they are trying to use to promote the game. It's supposed to make it more accessible. If that is true, I could imagine each expansion coming with it's own enemy and location decks.

That is kind of what I imagine also. Expansions will probably add new cards that get mingled with existing cards. For example, an expansion could come with some new ability cards, and maybe allow the player to swap out one current ability for one of the new ones, or something like that. Likewise, new adventures could easily make use of the core set enemies, etc.

That is kind of what I imagine also. Expansions will probably add new cards that get mingled with existing cards. For example, an expansion could come with some new ability cards, and maybe allow the player to swap out one current ability for one of the new ones, or something like that. Likewise, new adventures could easily make use of the core set enemies, etc.

i dont think so. some guy from FFG say that they want ZERO deckbuilding

new characters will by stand alone with their own cards etc.... and no aditional cards for old chars... imho

sorry for my Eng :rolleyes:

Edited by Lepusek

i dont think so. some guy from FFG say that they want ZERO deckbuilding

new characters will by stand alone with their own cards etc.... and no aditional cards for old chars... imho

sorry for my Eng :rolleyes:

Anton Torres made the point about zero deck building, which is who I was referring to. But recently I went to boaregamegeek.com and the designers said they imagined being able to mingle core cards with expansion cards.

For my part, I think I'll probably stick to the core for a very long time.

Seems unlikely that there will be new actions for existing characters; new characters are much more likely. I think the mingling is likely to be for enemy, location, dungeon and gear cards - the random elements where more variety is good.

Picking from short list of possible powers and actions is a lot different than deck building. It would be like in D&D when you hit a new level and get to choose a new ability, or maybe to swap out some ability that you initially chose, or you get some new powers, etc.

I hope that "zero deck-building" is literal; there is no deck from which you draw cards and your character's powers and abilities are not random in that sense.

I think that having a bank of potential character abilities and powers is entirely different than traditional deck-building (e.g., MTG, LCGs). Being able to level up your powers over the course of a campaign or choose some new powers to replace some existing ones is akin to tabletop RPG and is entirely different from deck-building card games.

Edited by divinityofnumber

For sure there will be the possibility of leveling up. It has been said that each character starts with 4 basic actions, and have an advanced version of each action. Going on with the game, a character will be able to progressively substitute his basic actions with advanced actions. It was said that it is possible, but difficult, to upgrade all 4 actions, and even in that case they will be available only during the last scenario, therefore choosing which advanced actions to take first is important Al. :)

It is possible that new advanced cards will be added for the existing heroes, but I think it is more likely that heroes will stay "self-contained" and simply new heroes will be added. There is already variation in the advanced skills chosen and in the gear that is found, and, hopefully in the future, in the way the party is composed. Also, from a design point of view, I think it would be much easier to add new heroes than adding a new set of actions to the existing heroes, balancing would probably present less challenges.

Picking from short list of possible powers and actions is a lot different than deck building. It would be like in D&D when you hit a new level and get to choose a new ability, or maybe to swap out some ability that you initially chose, or you get some new powers, etc.

I hope that "zero deck-building" is literal; there is no deck from which you draw cards and your character's powers and abilities are not random in that sense.

I think that having a bank of potential character abilities and powers is entirely different than traditional deck-building (e.g., MTG, LCGs). Being able to level up your powers over the course of a campaign or choose some new powers to replace some existing ones is akin to tabletop RPG and is entirely different from deck-building card games.

From the examples at GenCon, it seems like the only random abilities that you'll have access to are in the form of loot/equipment that you find exploring during the game. There didn't seem to be any character decks or the like.