SirWilli's Workshop: X-Wing 2.0 stuff

By SirWillibald, in X-Wing

Ah, it's so quiet here. FastWalker and SirWillibald must be enjoying the lack of releases. 😉

Has anyone put the hangar together for the quadjumper? I have put together most of the boxes and, for the most part, can figure out how some of these ships are supposed to fit, but the back fins on quad just seems to be to wide.

Hello, all of my 100 ships are parked in the small boxes (even 2 quad jumper). I had only issues with the Kwing due to a missprint.

The k-wing is one that I wish the orientation was different: a wider box instead of a longer box. I have done about 120 ships with another 35 or so more to go. Medium and small only. I have only run into issues with the kihraxz (it eventually goes in at an angle), the FO tie (which the height seems off, but could be my assembly), and the quadjumper (back fins too long). I might try printing from the pdf, which I don't like doing. I like to minimize the amount of wasted cardstock, so copy/pasting the png files is my usual process.

Looking for suggestions. The newer boxes are only available in pdf. I tried copying the image out of the pdf, but the sizing is off. Has anyone tried to use the images in the pdf's to print multiple boxes on 1 sheet and have any info on resizing?

I’ve always just printed one and then flipped the page, put it back in the printer, and printed another one.

I've mostly done the above.
I've also done some rearranging in gimp, but i don't know the program well enough I guess because the lines lose their sharpness.

For most ships I could only fit about 3 hangars/gear boxes per page anyway, aside from a few small things like vultures.

Some ships work really well for just flipping the page. The scurrg lines up perfectly for two ships. The aethersprite leaves a strip in the middle that you could print 2 more ships on. The nantex....well, that’s three small corners, and they don’t play well with the other ships I need to print (overlap). I’ll not sure about the tie defenders. They might not play well at all.

Depending on the ships, I could get 3-5, maybe 6 (depending how much rotating and stacking I did).

i might just be out of luck. Well, the wife does paper crafts. Maybe she would like some extra card stock. 😉

On 5/30/2020 at 6:04 PM, OldGrayRat said:

The newer boxes are only available in pdf.

The tuckbox generator i use for new ships only generates PDF files instead of vector files. Plus, i only have a printer, so i never thought about vector files.

I have done 182 MicroHangars and GearBoxes for my XWing fleet. Yes, i have a problem, and I'm okay with it... Shut up. You're the problem! /s

As for actual problems, none. All of my ships, bases, dials and tokens all fit fine. Some boxes actually require you to angle the ship to fit. Not sure how to help without seeing the boxes. I make sure all the folds are accurate as possible and verify the scale is set to 100%. When i make the boxes, i actually construct them tighter than they normally would, like a millimeter, and had no issues. Good luck!

PS - Not really enjoying lack of releases. I want more new ships. Especially all those slated for Wave 7 & 8.

18 hours ago, FastWalker said:

I have done 182 MicroHangars and GearBoxes for my XWing fleet. Yes, i have a problem, and I'm okay with it... Shut up. You're the problem!

It’s ok. In this endeavor to finish up the collection, I too have felt a little....mad.

Bum deal that you only get the option for pdf. I did start getting creative with flipping the page (so, it went in like this, came out like that, and this ship should fit in this space, so if I put it back in like...).

i think my only gripe at this point is that I wish the nantex held 2 or 3 to a box, so that it wasn’t so small. 😉

Edited by OldGrayRat
Clarification

I prefer the page flipping, as the second pass on the other side removes the curl on the paper. 🙂

Also, the lack of updates from sirwillibald is starting to concern me a bit. I hope he’s okay!

For those who had Lady Luck on their side and obtained the Naboo Starfighter Limited Edition, I made a MicroHangar and GearBox. Nothing special. Just changed the color swatch to match the chrome color scheme. Enjoy!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1srCpFP_8qhPpWnbtQ35FiyCAxmWN5QMQ

20 hours ago, OldGrayRat said:

i think my only gripe at this point is that I wish the nantex held 2 or 3 to a box, so that it wasn’t so small. 😉

When I originally designed the box, I was chuckling how small the box was going to be. As soon as I made the first box, I had to show my XWing group. We all got a good chuckle over it.

SOLUTION: Make 2 or 3 boxes and then superglue them together.

19 hours ago, sirjorj said:

I prefer the page flipping, as the second pass on the other side removes the curl on the paper. 🙂

Paper curl reduction is a nice benefit with page flipping.

I did thought about using cricut machines to save time building these boxes. Then i saw the price. Scissors and manual labor while watching TV is good enough for me.

Edited by FastWalker
On 6/3/2020 at 12:52 PM, FastWalker said:

I did thought about using cricut machines to save time building these boxes. Then i saw the price. Scissors and manual labor while watching TV is good enough for me.

My wife has a cricut. I will have to see if I can convince her to cut some boxes for me this weekend and see how it turns out.

As for the nantex, maybe I can find a bigger box and put a divider between the ships. Back to the old png files to change some artwork. 😉

Follow-up: The tie fighter box works nicely. It's the same height as the nantex, and with a divider can fit four. The ships move around a little bit, but they aren't colliding with each other. Maybe if the box was a little smaller (width and length), or maybe some weird paper folding for the divider. But, I now have a nantex four pack.

Edited by OldGrayRat

I finally started making some of the boxes that @FastWalker made. The fireball and baron ones look great! I do have a question about the Vulture gearbox for the squad pack - is the plan to have 1 gearbox for a squadpack? Because I don't think 5 ship tokens and 2 dials will fit in there.

Thanks for continuing where SirWilli left off!

On 11/14/2020 at 12:25 PM, sirjorj said:

I finally started making some of the boxes that @FastWalker made. The fireball and baron ones look great! I do have a question about the Vulture gearbox for the squad pack - is the plan to have 1 gearbox for a squadpack? Because I don't think 5 ship tokens and 2 dials will fit in there.

Thanks for continuing where SirWilli left off!

Thanks! Glad you like them.

As for the Servant's of Strife (SoS) Vulture Gearbox, they were designed for 1 gearbox per ship. Since the SoS comes with 2 Vultures, you need to split their "assets" between 2 gearboxes. This occurs frequently with the boxes i made.

After i split them, i just use a pencil and mark (small dot) next to whichever pilots were placed in that box. Also, some gearboxes were made to give you extra space for at least 1 ship token. This is to account for future Aces Packs (AMG???).

Fly well and May the Force be with You.

I'm guessing that for some ships where there is only a gearbox, the intent is to print the first edition MicroHangar for the ship?

Also, did the gearbox for the Lambda and Decimator get overlooked?

12 hours ago, sirjorj said:

I'm guessing that for some ships where there is only a gearbox, the intent is to print the first edition MicroHangar for the ship?

Also, did the gearbox for the Lambda and Decimator get overlooked?

Correct on both counts. I only made boxes for those that were missing. If a 1.0 box was sufficient enough, then i didn't bother making a 2.0 version.

On 8/14/2019 at 9:41 PM, FastWalker said:

Resistance Transport

Good sir, I have a peculiar request: would you consider doing a tuckbox just for the Pod? I’ve long fancied keeping my pod(s) and my transport(s) separate. Yes, that leaves me needing to find an alternate solution for the missing pod on the transport, but I’ve nearly got one figured out—and I would prefer to store the two pods I’ve got separately.

Edited by CoffeeMinion
16 hours ago, CoffeeMinion said:

...and I would prefer to store the two pods I’ve got separately.

Hey CoffeMinion, I have been toying with the idea of combining multiple ships in one box ever since I looked at the nantex. I think two pods might fit an a-wing box with an insert to separate the two. Maybe something similar to a "N" shape. I know that's not the same as having a dedicated box (and artwork, text, etc, but that can be fixed with any paint program), but one pod on it's own makes a very small box.

I’ve been goofing around with available online tuckbox generators. I’ll add instructions that anyone can reproduce below. Seems like I can make whatever I need, though it’s very plain compared to SirWilli’s or FastWalker’s work.

How to make your own for the ETA-2 Actis:

Create using https://www.cpforbes.net/tuckbox/

Settings:

• Width: 1

• Unit: inches

• Height: 1

• Thickness: .625

• Bottom style: (default / auto)

• Page size: letter

• Title: (none)

Make sure to force it to print at 100%

How to make your own for the Resistance Transport Pod:

Create using https://www.cpforbes.net/tuckbox/

Settings:

• Width: .9375

• Unit: inches

• Height: .075

• Thickness: .5625

• Bottom style: (default / auto)

• Page size: letter

• Title: (none)

Make sure to force it to print at 100%

EDIT : my test (paper) box for the Pod fit perfectly but my cardstock boxes are clearly a bit too big. It’s not terrible but it’s not quite as snug as one would want. Go figure. I’ll have to tweak it and repost.

There’s at least one other generator that allows for adding custom images to the box faces. That would allow me to scoot closer to SirWilli level quality. I may have to try to source some more art and go see what I can do with it. But for now, these are functional, if plain.

Edited by CoffeeMinion
Pod too big :-(
On 11/30/2020 at 9:49 PM, CoffeeMinion said:

There’s at least one other generator that allows for adding custom images to the box faces.

Do you have a link to this other generator? I just use cpforbes.net/tuckbox/ to generate the boxes and photoshop to add the images.

Glad someone else has started making their own boxes. Do you plan on sharing the boxes you've created?

I've been waiting for my Wave 8 ships to arrive before making new boxes.

18 minutes ago, FastWalker said:

Do you have a link to this other generator? I just use cpforbes.net/tuckbox/ to generate the boxes and photoshop to add the images.

Glad someone else has started making their own boxes. Do you plan on sharing the boxes you've created?

I've been waiting for my Wave 8 ships to arrive before making new boxes.

Heck yeah, I’ll donate what I’ve got once I get these a little further along. I was actually thinking of reaching out to you about this. I also wanted to inquire about the text and graphics that you put on them.

The other generator is here: https://andylei.github.io/paperbox/

One thing I don’t like is how it stretches the graphics you try to put on it. I was already leaning toward doing some kind of photoshop-ish post-processing after the CPForbes generator, and I think I might prefer that versus fiddling around with graphics sizing in an attempt to run it all through the AndyLei generator.

Edited by CoffeeMinion

Holy Safety Dance!!!

I told myself to start with the easiest box set -- Jango Fett Slave 1. It should be fast and easy. Its just a facelift. Right?... RIGHT?!!!

WRONG!!!

Many hours later, the MicroHangar and Gear Boxes are online for Jango Fett Slave 1. Download here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1srCpFP_8qhPpWnbtQ35FiyCAxmWN5QMQ

Meanwhile, I will continue working on other ships from Wave 7 & 8. It will be a slow process. I doubt I will finish all new ships before FFG Forums closes down (sniff sniff). When that happens, i will post updates at:

http://old.reddit.com/r/xwingtmg

Merry New Year!

It would still be my dream to get the updates by @FastWalker folded into the @SirWillibald mothership. Having a solid one-stop-shop seems beneficial as these forums fade into darkness.

But who knows. It will certainly be good to have these somewhere, regardless of where.