Chapter V: Gear and Equipment

By EldritchFire, in Proofreading Changes

Page 125, Cybernetic Brain Implant gives a +1 to Intelligence. It should be +1 Intellect.

-EF

Page 109: In Table 5-1 Rarity, suggest alphabetizing the contents of the two subrows in the Examples column for each Check row. Currently the Simple, Easy, and Average subrows are in alphabetical order. Do the same for the Hard and Daunting subrows.

Page 112: The Combat skills list appears to have been intended to be presented in alphabetical order. If so, Ranged (Heavy) and Ranged (Light) need to be swapped, as they are currently listed out of alphabetical order.

Page 112-113: The Item Qualities list appears to have been intended to be presented in alphabetical order. If so, Blast (Active) needs to be moved to before Breach (Passive).

Page 114: The Item Qualities list appears to have been intended to be presented in alphabetical order. If so, Knockdown (Active) needs to be moved so that it follows Ion (Passive).

Page 116: Table 5-4: Repairing Gear, suggest adjusting the contents of the Penalty for Use column so that the die symbols are used instead of "setback die" and "Difficulty die."

Page 121: Table 5-7: Armor appears to have intended to be sorted alphabetically in the Type column. If so, the rows for Personal Deflector Shield and Padded Armor need to be swapped.

Page 122: The list of armor types appears to have been intended to be sorted alphabetically. If so, the entries for Personal Deflector Shield and Padded Armor need to be swapped.

Page 126-127: Super nitpicky thing, but in the second paragraph for Stimpak use, it's stated the first use of a stimpak heals 5 wounds. As the paragraph continues on page 127, the amount of healed wounds spells out the number rather than using the numerals. Pick one and be consistent.

Page 126 (and elsewhere in the document): For that matter, EOTE calls them 'stimpacks' whereas AOR calls them 'stimpaks'. Go with stimpack to be consistent?

Page 109: The table headers for Table 5-1 and 5-2 are missing the colons after the numbers. Should read Table 5-1: Rarity and Table 5-2: Rarity Modifiers.

Page 124: Table 5-8 should probably have a (continued) element after it since it's continued from the previous page.

Just to check, is the bit on lightsabers (specifically the lack of a Lightsabers skill for players) a 1:1 verbatim reprint from EotE or were there any tweaks/rewordings?

Just to check, is the bit on lightsabers (specifically the lack of a Lightsabers skill for players) a 1:1 verbatim reprint from EotE or were there any tweaks/rewordings?

The second paragraph is pretty much verbatim. Slightly different wording, but the exact same point: There's no Lightsaber skill, choose either Agility or Brawn if you want to attack with one, GM can create a custom skill if they want to.

In the second paragraph on page 111, the last sentence states:

"With a Brawn of 2, for example, Luke does not get a free maneuver each turn if he's carrying 9 or more points of encumbrance."

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, that should be a seven, not a nine.

Brawn 2 + 5 = encumbrance threshold 7, but the lack of a free maneuver is if he exceeds that threshold by the amount of his Brawn, hence 9.

How do mines actually work? They're listed as using the Gunnery skill, but how do they take effect in-game? There's no explanation in-book that I've seen.

Given the way 'map distance' is abstract in this system, how do you rule if and when a target triggers a mine? Is Gunnery rolled as an attack roll at the time of the explosion, even if the 'attacker' isn't present, or is it rolled at the time of placement?

Is there some sort of difficulty involving how mines are spotted before potentially being set off?

Page 129: Load-bearing gear

This item has twice the cost of a backpack (per Table 5-8), yet the Encumbrance reduction (-3) is less than the backpack's (-4). Wondering if maybe the load-bearing gear should have some other perk to justify the increased cost?

How do mines actually work? They're listed as using the Gunnery skill, but how do they take effect in-game? There's no explanation in-book that I've seen.

Given the way 'map distance' is abstract in this system, how do you rule if and when a target triggers a mine? Is Gunnery rolled as an attack roll at the time of the explosion, even if the 'attacker' isn't present, or is it rolled at the time of placement?

Is there some sort of difficulty involving how mines are spotted before potentially being set off?

I'm thinking maybe the Gunnery check is to set the mine and determine the damage when it goes kaboom, with a Perception check opposed by the mine-planter's Skulduggery or Stealth skill to see how well they hid the mine.

This item has twice the cost of a backpack (per Table 5-8), yet the Encumbrance reduction (-3) is less than the backpack's (-4). Wondering if maybe the load-bearing gear should have some other perk to justify the increased cost?

My thinking was that the justification is that it allows you to increase encumbrance even further than just wearing a backpack (since wearing two backpacks at once seems silly-to-impossible).

It's more of a piece of specialized gear than the more ubiquitous backpack, hence the higher price, but for the survivalist or trooper who needs to bring along a whole ton of equipment, having both the pack and the load-bearing gear is worth the cost.

My thinking was that the justification is that it allows you to increase encumbrance even further than just wearing a backpack (since wearing two backpacks at once seems silly-to-impossible).

It's more of a piece of specialized gear than the more ubiquitous backpack, hence the higher price, but for the survivalist or trooper who needs to bring along a whole ton of equipment, having both the pack and the load-bearing gear is worth the cost.

Perhaps. I guess part of the issue as I saw it was that I'm used to simply refluffing things like backpacks and utility belts as needed, such as citing two backpacks purchased individually not as simply one over-sized cargo packs. But your answer does make sense.

I noticed this also.

The Manage Gear Maneuver allows a PC to draw something from a storage item. It could have been a good idea to make pulling something out of a backpack more time consuming than retrieving an item from load bearing gear but since we'd want the rules to be the same across all core books, it wouldn't be elegant to simply changing the rule in AoR.

Edited by Aazlain

Page 128, Thermal Cloak removes up to two boost dice from an check made to handle extreme heat or cold. Should be either: remove up to two setback dice, or add two boost dice. I think it's meant to remove two setback dice.

-EF

Page 113: Description of Cortosis (Passive), third line, "Jedi knights" should have a capitalized "Knights".

The second paragraph is pretty much verbatim. Slightly different wording, but the exact same point: There's no Lightsaber skill, choose either Agility or Brawn if you want to attack with one, GM can create a custom skill if they want to.

Actually, the AoR Beta doesn't mention the "Choose Brawn or Agility" the way EotE does.

Perhaps that's something that needs to be fixed or otherwise called out?

Actually, the AoR Beta doesn't mention the "Choose Brawn or Agility" the way EotE does.

Perhaps that's something that needs to be fixed or otherwise called out?

Indeed it doesn't. Could have sworn it did though.

As for calling it out, this is the Proofreading thread for the Equipment chapter, so I'd consider it 'called out.'

Page 114: Ion (Passive) Quality

It states that weapons with the Ion quality have shorter range than laser weapons. While it could be true for personal scale weapons*, it's not the case for starship scale ion weapons which consistently have equal or longer range than laser weapons.

* Imposible to verify as not a single personal scale weapon has the Ion quality, not even the Ionization Blaster.

Page 108, in the section Imperial Credits:

Scipio is mentioned as both the headquarters of the InterGalactic Banking Clan and the homeworld of the Muun. While the IGBC did indeed have holdings on Scipio during the Clone Wars and the Imperial era, it was neither the IGBC capital, nor the homeworld of the Muun (in both cases, that would actually be the planet Muunilinst).

In Table 5-9 (pg. 131), the price for the Balanced Hilt attachment is listed as 1,500. In its entry on the next page (pg. 132), its cost is listed as 150. Whichever is correct, there is a typo somewhere.

Armor Encumbrance reduction when worn (p. 122) - last sentence reads: "When worn, the armor's encumbrance value is reduced by 3 points." Should be changed to read "When worn, the armor's encumbrance value is reduced by 3 points, to a minimum of 0."