Brand Spanking new to Dust: A few Q's…

By milisim, in Dust Warfare General Discussion

1. I just bought the Icarus box set….. nothing in it relates to Warfare at all…. Was there something else I should have bought to get all the stat lines and information related to Dust as opposed to Tactics? I know I now have the 2 special characters and some huts.. but this wasnt exactly what I thought I was getting… Like I said im new lol… Should I have bought the Icarus Campaign book instead? Is that what I need to do for Hades and Zverograd too? Just get the books if I dont want the terrain and models? 2: Im playing Allies right and slowly collecting an SSU force in the background…. If I use my Hammer unit on a full march move and land behind a walker or even in the middle of a unit so to speak…. My interpretation of the rules is that i cannot be fired on since im jumping. So if for some reason im still alive after the next command phase… if my opponent wanted to move away I could punch him int eh face before he moved, or if he decided to shoot me I could react with punching again?

I'm surprised your LGS did not let you know that the expansion is exactly that: an expansion for the game Dust Tactics.

Go back to him and ask if he will accept returns.

Dust Warfare players are most likely to get these Expansions for the minis only unless they play Tactics too. Icarus is the book you need

As for your second question, yes, you can land in the middle of an enemy unit. And you can punch them if they attack you. If another unit out of your punch range (3") attacks you, though - which is the right thing to do, since all they have to do is get a hit and your unit is suppressed, meaning they get no reaction - then your only reaction is to try to move out of their range. You have a 6" move, not another jump move. And if you do that, then the unit you initially jumped behind gets to attack you, or move away, or otherwise act normally. So, as you see, just jumping into the middle of the enemy is a great way to get your Hammers hammered. You need to suppress nearby enemy units or they'll just shoot your expensive jump unit to bits. Which is what I love about this game; it's got more tactics in it than Tactics! (Perhaps they should change the Warfare label to Tactics, and relabel Tactics as 'Slaughter').

Warboss Krag said:

Which is what I love about this game; it's got more tactics in it than Tactics! (Perhaps they should change the Warfare label to Tactics, and relabel Tactics as 'Slaughter').

LOL

Warboss Krag said:

As for your second question, yes, you can land in the middle of an enemy unit. And you can punch them if they attack you. If another unit out of your punch range (3") attacks you, though - which is the right thing to do, since all they have to do is get a hit and your unit is suppressed, meaning they get no reaction - then your only reaction is to try to move out of their range. You have a 6" move, not another jump move. And if you do that, then the unit you initially jumped behind gets to attack you, or move away, or otherwise act normally. So, as you see, just jumping into the middle of the enemy is a great way to get your Hammers hammered. You need to suppress nearby enemy units or they'll just shoot your expensive jump unit to bits. Which is what I love about this game; it's got more tactics in it than Tactics! (Perhaps they should change the Warfare label to Tactics, and relabel Tactics as 'Slaughter').

Craig is incorrect for the most part.

First off you cannot move within 1" of any enemy miniature so the for the most part stops you from moving into the middle of a unit. Second off jump prevents any reactions to your move, so as long as all you do is move they cannot react to it. once you use jump to move into range you can iether try to give them an order in you command phase or react to thier action in the unit phase. Also contrary to Craig you can move the full 12" when making a move reaction. but as he did say it is for the most part not a good idea to charge in and wait for the reaction but with high risk comes high reward.

True, you can move the full 12", if that's your move. But at least Dakkon was correct enough to note that it's not a good idea to get into attack position without support, and where the enemy can cut you to ribbons as you wait for the command phase…so jump in last. And as for the 1" separation, Dakkon's response nails him as a rules lawyer, who won't accept any condition not directly stipulated. And he missed completely my direct stipulation that a jump cannot be reacted to, so he's not a very good rules lawyer… As a rule, I prefer to leave such rules lawyer one-upmanship out of these forums, Dakkon. We're trying to give the benefit of our experience, not have a 'making water' contest.

Warboss Krag said:

True, you can move the full 12", if that's your move. But at least Dakkon was correct enough to note that it's not a good idea to get into attack position without support, and where the enemy can cut you to ribbons as you wait for the command phase…so jump in last. And as for the 1" separation, Dakkon's response nails him as a rules lawyer, who won't accept any condition not directly stipulated. And he missed completely my direct stipulation that a jump cannot be reacted to, so he's not a very good rules lawyer… As a rule, I prefer to leave such rules lawyer one-upmanship out of these forums, Dakkon. We're trying to give the benefit of our experience, not have a 'making water' contest.

Nope, 1" is there to prevent you from moving your own units into a tank overrun. Also just because I know this ruleset well dosen't make me a "rules lawyer" a question was asked and I answered it correctly . My only intention was to prevent the community from being misinformed, you on the other-hand immediately take to insulting me just for pointing out you made a small mistake.

Thanks for the replies guys…. It seems i am stuck with the Icarus box set since I bought it online…. I got it dirt cheap so im not too upset about it… I will be buying the cerebrus box set though mainly for the building….. What you guys say about the situation I gave is 100% correct i got rocked… but it only went south because reserves came on and surpressed by jump units… if they never came on I would have had that reaction or command phase activation for sure… I just wanted to see if it would work and paid a heavy price lol… My head is still getting around the game right now but everyone who has played it LOVES it… coming from 40k, whfb and FOW etc this is quite a change.