Two Questions… On Stun and on Space Combat

By newbiedm, in General Discussion

Am I reading corectly? Stun setting just causes Strain, and it's not like the movies that knocked out Leia…. If so, what's the point of setting for Stun? Why would I just want to cause strain damage?

And Piloting in a space fight in open space…. A pilot's skill really contributes nothing, so Han and Aunt Beru, fighting on two similar ships in open space, have the same flying ability?

Am I reading these things right??

newbiedm said:

Am I reading corectly? Stun setting just causes Strain, and it's not like the movies that knocked out Leia…. If so, what's the point of setting for Stun? Why would I just want to cause strain damage?

And Piloting in a space fight in open space…. A pilot's skill really contributes nothing, so Han and Aunt Beru, fighting on two similar ships in open space, have the same flying ability?

Am I reading these things right??

Hey, dude. To answer your questions as best as I can:

1. If your Strain reaches your Strain Threshold, you are knocked out cold. Just like Leia. So the strorm trooper sets his blaster carbine for Stun. He rolls to attack Leia and rolls WELL. 3 successes! That's a total of 12 strain damage; which - assuming Leia's Soak was low, and she'd probably already taken a few strain after the invasion of her ship - would knock her out cold. Without killing her. That's the point of Stun. ;-)

2. Piloting skill doesn't have a lot of bearing on just shooting space-guns, no. LOL… ;-) But it's used for fancy flying manuevers. This could be something as abstract as an opposed pilot check during a chase scene, or something more concrete, like the Gain the Advantage starship action (pg. 155), which requires a pilot check. The pilot skills are also used to navigate through stellar phenomena or rough terrain (pg. 159). So yeah - while Han and Beru might be down basic Gunnery checks if their ships were just flying straight at each other and blasting - you put Han into an asteroid field and he's going to live, while Beru goes all explodey… just like a squadron of TIE fighters chasing the Falcon into said asteroid field.

And you're forgetting about all the benefits that a character gains from Talents they select from their Specializations. Skill Alone does not a great Pilot make in this game, hmmm….

also some of the talents require pilot checks: full throttle, brillant evasion