About Warlord and Bishop

By Dotte, in Citadels

I have a question about the rule.

Can the warlord destroy the bishop buildings that murdered by assassin? why?

Please give me any suggestion about it.

Thanks

Dotte said:

If you mean by this question: "If the Bishop is murdered by the Assassin, does the Bishop's special ability still in operation (i.e. buildings immune from the Warlord's attacks)?" - then, I think the answer is no . That character is dead, losing his turn and the use of any ability.

Though I don't find this specified in the rules, I deduce it from what the rules do say about the King: the King, even if murdered, still receives the crown (though not until the end of the round since he must remain silent until then). It seems to me this is made a point because it is an exception - i.e. the King's special ability is still worked out even though murdered by the Assassin.

Strategically then, the Assassin, by murdering the Bishop, makes that player (in addition to the others) vulnerable to the Warlord.

Belloq said:

Dotte said:

If you mean by this question: "If the Bishop is murdered by the Assassin, does the Bishop's special ability still in operation (i.e. buildings immune from the Warlord's attacks)?" - then, I think the answer is no . That character is dead, losing his turn and the use of any ability.

Though I don't find this specified in the rules, I deduce it from what the rules do say about the King: the King, even if murdered, still receives the crown (though not until the end of the round since he must remain silent until then). It seems to me this is made a point because it is an exception - i.e. the King's special ability is still worked out even though murdered by the Assassin.

Strategically then, the Assassin, by murdering the Bishop, makes that player (in addition to the others) vulnerable to the Warlord.

Yes, you get was I mean, Thanks for your answer :-)

I concur with that assessment. The ability for the Bishop to prevent any of his districts from being destroyed is listed as one of his available special abilities. If the Bishop never got a chance to implement any special abilities (id est, he was assassinated), then he would not be able to prevent a district from being destroyed by the Warlord during that round of the game.

Technically, a player that is assassinated never appears, as if he were face down in the deck etc. right?

Johnhagop said:

Technically, a player that is assassinated never appears, as if he were face down in the deck etc. right?

This is correct. And the more you play, the more you see why this is strategically necessary!

Just to clarify the point further, always remember the target of an action: is it a player or character?

As stated earlier, the owner of an assassinated character acts as if he never picked a character that turn, hence they cannot be targeted by anything that targets a character (the example in the rules is the Thief being unable to steal from assassinated character)

If the Warlord card stated, "You may pay to destroy one character's district of your choice." Then you could not target the assassinated character districts because they never got the chance to have a character.

However, the Warlord character has no such restriction, he just targets districts. And since the Bishop was assassinated, the player who picked him cannot claim the Bishop's special ability because technically, he never got the chance to be the Bishop that turn.

The exception on the King is in place to prevent someone from going first all the time. (i.e. always picking the Assassin and killing the King)

I agree with all of the points here saying that the assasinated Bishop's territories can be destroyed. Just thought I would also add that Bruno Faidutti has clariffied this point on his website.