Rules Clarifications please…

By Bjork1, in Sky Traders

Firstly i found this game amusing and a good game, but i have some issues which need to be solved.

1. During the guild counsil you throw 2 dices to see which goods are in surplus or shortage of, But here's the thing, can the same good be both surplus and shortage at the same time/round? Does shortage/surplus also trigger the bouncing effects?

2. The rules mentioned a buying influence limit to 50 influence. Is this just a typeO and should say 50 GP?

3. Is the pirate cove a city and should you treat it as such in its full regarding dumping cargo and collecting minerals, and trading?

4. Does the Ill wind cards affect all players or just the player who draws the card?

Sorry, but i just don't get any piracy feeling of this game, it is just too high a risk.

As the OP says.

Some more questions:

What is so bad about being a Wanted Trader? The only difference seems to be that other players can attack you without impunity. Then I read this Ill Winds card, dunno which one anymore, which suggested, that a Wanted Trader might ne attacked each turn by a Sky Marshall, whatever that might be.

Somewhere it is suggested, that it can be dangerous to dump sludge at the volcano. I can't find it in the rules, maybe I am overlooking something? Also I read the suggestion, that while dumping sludge at the volcano you might take in Phlogiston (or whatever). If so, how does this work?

Greetz,

FreeHansje

As a warning, I have not actually played the game yet, just purchased it, but just read the rules and FAQ. Here's what I have to help.

Sotherlands Gamingclub (SØrlandet spillklubb) said:

Firstly i found this game amusing and a good game, but i have some issues which need to be solved.

1. During the guild counsil you throw 2 dices to see which goods are in surplus or shortage of, But here's the thing, can the same good be both surplus and shortage at the same time/round? Does shortage/surplus also trigger the bouncing effects?

2. The rules mentioned a buying influence limit to 50 influence. Is this just a typeO and should say 50 GP?

3. Is the pirate cove a city and should you treat it as such in its full regarding dumping cargo and collecting minerals, and trading?

4. Does the Ill wind cards affect all players or just the player who draws the card?

The FAQ answers a few of your questions. LINK

1. Yes, according to the FAQ it first moves up a space, then down space. On the follow-up I'm not sure, but I would assume yes.

2. It's saying you can't ever buy more than 50 influence. If you're at 49 influence and buy one more to go to 50. So on a later turn you can no longer buy influence as you can't go past 50.

3. Yes it's a city, clarified in the FAQ.

4. Best as I can see it only effect the player that drew it. They would probably specify on the card if it effected more.

Some more questions:

What is so bad about being a Wanted Trader? The only difference seems to be that other players can attack you without impunity. Then I read this Ill Winds card, dunno which one anymore, which suggested, that a Wanted Trader might ne attacked each turn by a Sky Marshall, whatever that might be.

Somewhere it is suggested, that it can be dangerous to dump sludge at the volcano. I can't find it in the rules, maybe I am overlooking something? Also I read the suggestion, that while dumping sludge at the volcano you might take in Phlogiston (or whatever). If so, how does this work?

The wanted tokens are rewards for anyone who defeats you in combat. Also you keep getting them for every crime you commit. So if you commit 4 crimes, then you have 4 tokens, that's a 200GP reward for someone blowing you out of the sky. As far as the Ill winds card, the Sky Marshall card will attack you, and its bad if you lose(obviously) but even if you win you get another wanted token. (Also thought there was an additional penalty for being wanted but can't find it.)

I've seen no mention to your second statement though.

Phase 1 is ill winds card.

Phase 2 is set sail.

Say you land on the Volcano.

Phase 3 is dump cargo/crew.

Now you can dump your sludge and collect GP.

Since you still have a Phase 4 action remaining, you can either attack a skyship or mine the clouds. You cannot collect minerals at the Volcano and you cannot trade at the volcano. So unless you're attacking someone, after collecting GP from dumped sludge, you can roll a die and collect that much Phlogiston.