Great game, but I have a question.

By BlackBeard474, in Sky Traders

Alright FFG, I'll admit you make great games. I love every game I've gotten from you guys, but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't like you any more.

I say this because I have noticed a distinct trend in your game design. I notice some almost absurd, racist depictions in your games, chiefly Tiny Manu of Rockband Manager and now Duke Skazzu Milingo of Sky Traders. So here is my aforementioned question:

Do you guys even have any people of color working for you? I doubt you're actually, hatefully racist in this day and age, but you guys really should be watching out for this. You make great games and this sort of stuff could hurt peoples' opinions of you and your games, thus losing you sales.

I'm a fan, and I hope to stay a fan. And I'm sure you guys want more fans, because that translates directly into more profit. So just keep your eyes open for this ok?

Well this game was actually made by Dust and just distributed by FFG…

Oh, shoot. In that case, my apologies to FFG as far as Duke Shazzu Milingo goes. I guess the Tiny Manu case still stands but this makes FFG look less insensitive.

Thanks for the clarification!

I guess I'll go ask Dust Games what their deal is.

BlackBeard474 said:

Oh, shoot. In that case, my apologies to FFG as far as Duke Shazzu Milingo goes. I guess the Tiny Manu case still stands but this makes FFG look less insensitive.

Thanks for the clarification!

I guess I'll go ask Dust Games what their deal is.

Its a good question though…

I'm going to do the same.

I'm excited about my order and can't wait to play the game. The quality of the artwork looks impressive, the 'figurehead' playing pieces are …slightly weird…obviously not to everyone's taste, but I'd be prepared to go along with them if the character designs weren't such awful examples of the kind of blinkered stereotyping which should just have no place in a newly created fictional universe.

I find the lack of imagination on the part of the - otherwise obviously talented - creative team, frankly irksome.

I just wanted to register my dissatisfaction on this forum. As publishers of the game you hold as much responsibilty as its creators for propagating such lazy racism.

Lazy McCrow said:

I just wanted to register my dissatisfaction on this forum. As publishers of the game you hold as much responsibilty as its creators for propagating such lazy racism.

…or as your 'East Asian' character would no doubt call it: 'Razy Lacism'

Playing a bit of devil's advocate here.

This is a game set in a pulp world. If you have played other games in similar settings (like Spirit of the Century, or Isla Dorada for example) go all out on EVERY stereotype and as such to remove them would be to remove a core aspect of the world and what gives them so much flavor. Every character is always set on 11 reguardless of what stereotype; be it the tea drinking, monicled, proper british man, or the tea drink, sword wielding, kung-fu master, or whatever else it may be.