DF Tokens when you "Randomly" have to put them on a card or get them taken away, etc…

By SKirkham, in Infiltration

I asked the designer what to do in this situation and he said to ask here…so I am asking:

There are some cards that make a player randomly remove a DF token from their collection, or add a DF token to the rooms, etc.

If this is supposed to be random and the rules say the players may look at their DF tokens, then the randomness really goes away…

So, how do you handle that situation?

Is there a FAQ or erratta rue some place that takes care of this situation or others that may arise?

Thanks,

Shawn

EASY! You know your DF tokens, but your opponents don't. Let them randomly choose one of your face down DF chits. If playing solo, mix up your DF tokens face down and pick one at random. No problem. Cheers!

Just played my first game of this tonight. Didn't realize you were able to look at your DF tokens. Players only revealed their worth at the end of the game. I kind of like this better, my rationale being your PC doesn't know the value of their info until they try to cash it in. This also kept everyone in the facility until the bitter end, not knowing the exact value of info everyone went for volume of info in the hopes of beating others.

This one should seriously be clarified in an FAQ… I still can't find any mention in the book about whether the pieces are revealed. Also, has anyone come up with a simple way of dealing with the face-down aspect of the DFs? We laid them all down on the table, but that seems to invite memorisation. I'm thinking about using dice to mark how many DF are left on each card and having players draw from a bag, but this doesn't seem very elegant either.

It is mentioned in the sharing information portion of the manual. You can look at your own pieces at any time.

As for drawing the DF tokens randomly, for my game, I put them all in a separate bag and just draw them as needed. You can tell which side is supposed to be face up and which side is face down by touch, and if you accidentally peek, just put it back and draw another one. It's not elegant, no, but it's a hell of a lot more practical. At least I think so, anyway.

Much thanks. I hadn't noticed that you could tell by touch! My g/f and I had opted to put flat marbles on the cards for the tokens until they get taken, but that is highly useful information.