Help! Minion translation error

By Galvancito1, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello. I received the SoB expansion for X-mas and I have been looking through the components. I haven't been able to play it yet, but for the moment I have enjoied looking at the cards and dungeons (figuring out what the creators had in mind).

Now, while looking at the dungeons I found some problems with the minions at certain dungeons. Certain dungeon levels had the exact same minions as the prevous ones. Some others (particulary islands) don't seem to have any balance among the options (sometimes an option is clearly superior to other). So I have gone through all the dungeon levels and islands and made a list of minions list that are suspicious of having been mistranslated. Since I was at it, I did the same with the RtL and ToI. Here is the list of things I suppose that were different in the original version. Could you please confirm if they are?

RtL:

Level 3 option B calls for 3 master hounds and 1 socerer but the box only has 2 master hounds. Am I supposed to use a normal hound as a master one?

Level 8 option D calls for 2 beastmen and 1 golem. Not bad, but golems don't belong to the AoD expansion. Is this correct? Is it supposed to be a troll or a chaos beast?

Level 14 option D calls for 4 spiders and 2 ferrox. Ferrox are supposed to belong to the WoD and normally appear in option C. Again, is this correct?

Level 34 option B calls for 4 beastmen and 2 nagas, while option A calls for 3 beastmen and 1 manticore. Is really a manticore supposed to be worth 2 nagas and 1 beastman? Options C and D are more similar to option A than to option B.

ToI:

Level 43 option A calls for "1 master wendigo and 2 master wendigos". I'm pretty sure that was supposed to mean "1 master wendigo and 2 (normal) wendigos". The expansion doesn't have 3 master wendigos anyway.

SoB:

Level 60 (which is said to be one of the nastiest levels) calls for the very same minions as level 61. Just the same options. A: 2 master sorcerers, 1 sorcerer and 1 beastman. B: 1 master sorcerer, 2 beastmen and 1 oger. 2 master sorcerers, 1 ferrox and 2 kobolds. C: 1 master sorcerer, 1 beastman and 1 trol (is a trol worth more than an oger?) E: 2 master sorcerers, 2 beetles and 1 shade. What level do these minions belong? What are the minions of the other level?

Level 64 calls for 3 medusas in option E (and 2 skeletons as well), but there are only 2 normal medusas and 1 master medusa. Am I supposed to use the master one as a normal one?

Level 65 option B looks like an interesting mix: 1 master hound, 1beastman, 1 skeleton and 1 golem. All very different monsters, but the golem isn't normally used in option B. Is it supposed to be an oger?

Levels 71 and 72 minions also have the same minion list. A: 4 razorwings and 2 sorcerers. B: 2 razorwings, 2 beastmen and 2 sorcerers (it looks like beastmen are worth the same as razorwings). C: 3 razorwings, 2 ferrox and 2 kobolds. D: 2 razorwings and 3 elfs. E: 2 razorwings, 1 master shade and 3 normal shades. Option D has the problem of calling for 3 elfs when there are only 2 normal elfs, I guess I'll have to use the master elf as a normal elf.

In the island with an enemy ship (the hermit?) option D is clearly subpar, as it considers that a priest is worth the same as a golem, and that 2 priest are woth the same as a dragon (outdoors, where it can fly). Here is the list I have. A: 4 sorcerers and 4 skeletons. B: 3 sorcerers and 1 dragon. C: 3 sorcerers and 2 golems. D: 3 sorcerers and 2 priest (they must be some kind of archpriest or something to rival with dragons, golems and ice wyirms). E: 3 sorcerers and 1 ice wyrm.

Finally, in semilast island (the bewitched island?) option A calls for 4 beastmen (and nothing more) while option E calls for 2 beastmen and 2 wendigos. Wendigos have been treated with some more respect on dungeon levels, why are they assumed to be worth just like beastmen?

I may be wrong when comparing different types of monsters in advanced campaigns but since some of the minion lists were exactly the same, I thought it was worth asking.

Thanks

As for RtL, the listed options are identical to those in the German version. The others I don´t have handy atm.

While there may seem to be a certain pattern in the different minion options (like "A is always from the base game, B from WoD", or the like), it is not a strict rule. So I wouldn´t put a lot of thought into options that differ from that.

Regarding the "worth" of a given monster compared to another, it strongly depends on the avatar and upgrades that are in play.

Finally, if a setup calls for more monsters of a given type than there are models, you are allowed to use proxies - at least I think to remember that this was a general ruling from Vanilla Descent (which then translates unchanged to AC expansions).

Then RtL list is fine (at least for the Edge translations). What I am most worried about is the levels that have the exact same minions. That looks like someone made a mistake when copying the list.

Galvancito1 said:

SoB:

Level 60 (which is said to be one of the nastiest levels) calls for the very same minions as level 61. Just the same options. A: 2 master sorcerers, 1 sorcerer and 1 beastman. B: 1 master sorcerer, 2 beastmen and 1 oger. 2 master sorcerers, 1 ferrox and 2 kobolds. C: 1 master sorcerer, 1 beastman and 1 trol (is a trol worth more than an oger?) E: 2 master sorcerers, 2 beetles and 1 shade. What level do these minions belong? What are the minions of the other level?

Level 60
A: 2 Naga, 2 Beastmen, 1 skeleton
B: 1 Naga, 3 Beastmen, 2 skeleton
C: 1 Naga, 1 Ferrox, 1 Golem, 1 Kobold
D: 1 Naga, 2 Deep Elves, 1 Master Deep Elf
E: 1 Naga, 1 shade, 2 lava beetles, 2 wendigos

Level 61 as you quoted.

Galvancito1 said:

Level 64 calls for 3 medusas in option E (and 2 skeletons as well), but there are only 2 normal medusas and 1 master medusa. Am I supposed to use the master one as a normal one?

Galvancito1 said:

Level 65 option B looks like an interesting mix: 1 master hound, 1beastman, 1 skeleton and 1 golem. All very different monsters, but the golem isn't normally used in option B. Is it supposed to be an oger?

Definitely a Golem

Galvancito1 said:

Levels 71 and 72 minions also have the same minion list. A: 4 razorwings and 2 sorcerers. B: 2 razorwings, 2 beastmen and 2 sorcerers (it looks like beastmen are worth the same as razorwings). C: 3 razorwings, 2 ferrox and 2 kobolds. D: 2 razorwings and 3 elfs. E: 2 razorwings, 1 master shade and 3 normal shades. Option D has the problem of calling for 3 elfs when there are only 2 normal elfs, I guess I'll have to use the master elf as a normal elf.

Level 71
A: 1 Master Naga, 3 Razorwings, 3 skeletons
B: 1 Master Naga, 1 Master Razorwing, 3 Sorcerors
C: 1 Master Naga, 3 Razorwings, 4 kobolds
D: 1 Master Naga, 1 blood ape, 2 deep elves
E: 1 Master Naga, 1 Master Medusa, 3 lava beetles

Level 72 as you quoted.

Galvancito1 said:

In the island with an enemy ship (the hermit?) option D is clearly subpar, as it considers that a priest is worth the same as a golem, and that 2 priest are woth the same as a dragon (outdoors, where it can fly). Here is the list I have. A: 4 sorcerers and 4 skeletons. B: 3 sorcerers and 1 dragon. C: 3 sorcerers and 2 golems. D: 3 sorcerers and 2 priest (they must be some kind of archpriest or something to rival with dragons, golems and ice wyirms). E: 3 sorcerers and 1 ice wyrm.

The dragon is only better if Beasts have been upgraded... Priests are better than golems in terms of damage. Each to his own... but your list looks correct to me.

Galvancito1 said:

Finally, in semilast island (the bewitched island?) option A calls for 4 beastmen (and nothing more) while option E calls for 2 beastmen and 2 wendigos. Wendigos have been treated with some more respect on dungeon levels, why are they assumed to be worth just like beastmen?

Again, it depends entirely on which, if any, monsters have been upgraded. Silver beastmen are better than copper wendigos - unless the heroes have zyla...

Thank you very much.