New to advanced campaign with concerns...

By my-blu-subaru, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

hi guys, new to forum. Our group has been playing decent for about 6months, weve played through 6 of the maps that it comes with, and a few customs made with the scenerio editor.

I recently wanted to get one of the two campaign expansions and decided on Sea of Blood...mostly because of the recent huge bump in price on Road to Legend. Im happy with my purchase and we are excited to get into it deeper. we have played only one "game week" and loved the idea of a long running campaign.

My concerns is as follows:

i have read alot that the rules are a bit broken. we havent encountered a problem yet, but to save us from problems are there any suggestions for house rules to make the often criticized ship rules. any other suggestions would be great.

my-blu-subaru said:

hi guys, new to forum. Our group has been playing decent for about 6months, weve played through 6 of the maps that it comes with, and a few customs made with the scenerio editor.

I recently wanted to get one of the two campaign expansions and decided on Sea of Blood...mostly because of the recent huge bump in price on Road to Legend. Im happy with my purchase and we are excited to get into it deeper. we have played only one "game week" and loved the idea of a long running campaign.

My concerns is as follows:

i have read alot that the rules are a bit broken. we havent encountered a problem yet, but to save us from problems are there any suggestions for house rules to make the often criticized ship rules. any other suggestions would be great.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=136&efcid=1&efidt=392253

If you 'friend' me then we can exchange PMs and eventually I can pass you a document we put together here to assist FFG with the next FAQ (if they do anotehr one). It has a comprehensive bunch of questions and answers that you can choose from yourself, many from SoB, and also a section on the balance issues in SoB including some possible solutions.

thanks!! that really helped.

I've been considering buying SoB, but was warry for a few reasons. One being that everyone seems to think it's broken. The other, we only have the base game, and I've heard the campaigns don't work well without the other expansions. I only have enough money right now for one expansion though, so it's this or ToI. My gf and I are interested in a more campaigny Descent, as the campaign rules in the core game just don't cut it, and I find the idea of pirates and sea battles in a Dungeon crawler just this side of totally awesome. Does your document solve any broken problems with SoB, and could you send a copy my way? If SoB IS playable with just the base game and this document, I'll probably go for that instead of ToI.

King Tycho said:

If SoB IS playable with just the base game and this document, I'll probably go for that instead of ToI.

Truthfully, the only thing you miss out on with the other expansions is a couple of dungeon levels and maybe you don't have a few of the skills listed as trainable in certain cities. Of course it's always nice to have more options, but you can use 95% of SoB with nothing but the base box.

With the exception of a few situations where the OL can completely drag out a given island or LT encounter, SoB is not that bad. We've done 6 campaigns so far experimenting on both sides on tactics to see how things go.

The only real difficulty I have is if the OL pushes a siege campaign, it can be extremely easy for them to win around the middle of the silver if the heroes don't spend most of their time hunting siren. And with how difficult a LT encounter can be, it makes stopping a siege campaign near impossible.

There is no easy fix to this problem either, even with house rules. We simply ignore the 5 city destruction to win rule and force the OL into a plot or final battle victory. At least until we find a better solution or a FAQ fixes the issue.