which heroes in which expansions?

By ser_hag, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

hey there. im seperating my current descent sets to sell in preparation for the 2nd edition and i have no idea which heroes go to which box.

i have well of darkness, altar of despair and road to legend. though the last has no heroes, so nevermind about that one :P if anyone could tell me which 6 heroes are in WoD and AoD i would be super appreciative!

thanks,

hag

Well of Darkness: Laurel of Bloodwood, Runemaster Thorn, Nanok of the Blade, Brother Glyr, Tetherys and Lord Hawthorne

Altar of Despair: Kirga, Tahlia, Sahla, Eliam, Aurim and Corbin

I take it you are not intrigued by the conversion kit.

you sir are a saint! i dont suppose you would know which map sections go with which expansion? for road to legend its easy as theyre double sided, but '3 corrridor pieces' and '1 room piece' doesnt exactly tell me which one is which :D

my gaming group has decided to go all new.

ser_hag said:

you sir are a saint! i dont suppose you would know which map sections go with which expansion? for road to legend its easy as theyre double sided, but '3 corrridor pieces' and '1 room piece' doesnt exactly tell me which one is which :D

Nope, that I can't help you with, except to point out that all the tiles with "corrupted terrain" on them probably came from AoD. =P

You could check the WoD and AoD sections of BGG to see if anyone posted scans of the unpunched sprues and work with those. (People seem to do that sometimes, I'm not really sure why.)

Before mixing my expansions I made a list, let's see...

Core game:

• Map pieces : 2 6x6 rooms, 4 6x4 rooms, 4 4x4 rooms, 6 2x2 corridors, 8 4x2 corridors, 5 6x2 corridors, 6 corner corridors, 4 3-way intersections, 2 4-way intersections and 20 dead ends. All one-sided, none corrupted.
  • Obstacles : 5 1x1 pits, 2 1x2 pits, 1 1x3 pit, 5 1x1 rubble, 2 1x2 rubble, 1 1x1 rubble, 4 1x1 water, 2 1x2 water and 1 1x3 water.
  • Effect tokens : 16 poison, 13 fire, 12 web and 14 stun.
  • Other tokens : 18 1-conquest tokens, 6 3-conquest tokens, 23 1-threat tokens, 9 5-treat tokens, 24 fatige, 45 1-wound token, 10 5-wound tokens, 34 1-coin tokens, 12 100-coin tokens, 6 500-coin tokens, all the 4 hero turn tokens, all the 16 order tokens (except for prolonged actions) and all the 12 training tokens.
  • Treasure : 9 money tokens, 9 health potions, 9 vitality potions, all the 8 chests, all the 3 rune keys, the four relics used in quests 6 to 9.
  • Others : 10 non-corrupted glyphs, 10 encounter markers, 2 grey stairs, 2 red stairs, 2 blue stairs, 1 monkey, the rat, both ferrets, the falcon, 1empos, the compas rose, the 10 doors and the breath template.

Well of darknes:

• Map pieces : 1 4x4 room, 3 corners, 2 4-way intersections, 2 dead ends. All one-sided, none corrupted.
  • Obstacles : 3 1x1 pits, 3 1x2 pits, 1 1x3 pit, 3 1x1 rubble, 3 1x2 rubble, 1 1x3 rubble, 4 1x1 water, 3 1x2 water, 1 1x3 water, 8 1x1 lava, 5 1x2 lava, 2 1x3 lava, 8 1x1 mud, 5 1x2 mud 2 1x3 mud.
  • Traps : 6 skything blades, 2 dart fields, 4 boulders, 8 90º-turn boulder ramps and 4 180º-turn boulder ramps.
  • Effect tokens : 2 fire, 1 web, 1 stun, 14 daze and 14 bleed.
  • Other tokens : 3 100-coin tokens, 8 25-coin tokens.
  • Treasure : 9 power potions and 6 relics (see quests 5, 6 and 9)
  • Others : 2 green stairs, the bolt template, the wolf and the haunt.

Altar of despair:

• Map pieces : 2 4x4 rooms, 2 1x6 corridors, 1 4-way intersection and 3 dead ends. All corrupted, all one-sided.
  • Obstacles : 8 1x1 fog, 5 1x2 fog, 2 1x3 fog, 8 1x1 corrupted, 5 1x2 corrupted, 2 1x3 corrupted, 1 4x4 pit (ussually called "the big pit").
  • Traps : 2 2-space-wide crushing walls, 1 4-space-wide crushing wall.
  • Effect tokens : 14 frost and 14 curse.
  • Other tokens : 6 25-coin tokens, 3 100-coin tokens, 15 progress tokens and the 4 prolonged action order tokens
  • Treasure : 9 invulnerability potions.
  • Others : 2 non-corrupted glyphs, 2 red-corrupted glyphs, 2 green-corrupted glpyphs, 2 blue-corrupted glyphs, 2 encounter markers, 6 altars, 3 monkies the eye of Tara, the imp the shadow and the brightwing (isn't it a phoenix?). Technically the altars are treated as obstacles but they are not listed as such.

I don't have a RtL list (nor the SoB one) but you can identify the map pieces because they are 2-sided. All the obstacles in RtL are new (most of them don't even look like obstacles although they are treated as susch), the only effect tokens are sleep (there are 6), the money and wound tokens have greater value than the ones in other expansions (25 and 2500 I think) and there are no new treassure tokens. The list of other tokens is huge, you'd better refer to the manual.

I also have the ToI list if you want it.

Galvancito1 said:

I think he wanted to know which actual tiles (ie: which printed images) went in each expansion. The rulebook for each expansion should have a list of components at the front to identify the types of tiles each included, but figuring out which actual images came from where, that's the rub. (Except AC expansions, which as he said are easy since they're double-sided.)

Steve-O said:

Galvancito1 said:

I think he wanted to know which actual tiles (ie: which printed images) went in each expansion. The rulebook for each expansion should have a list of components at the front to identify the types of tiles each included, but figuring out which actual images came from where, that's the rub. (Except AC expansions, which as he said are easy since they're double-sided.)

It doesn't. Or at list mine doesn't. It normally says something like "10 corridors" or "52 effect tokens" but it doesn't say how long the corridors are or what tokens they are reffering to. I have now looked at the English version. It says how many rooms or corridors there are, but not how big or wide they are. If you are concerned about the image of the corridors, then you only need to if there is any difference between the core game and the well of darkness. AoD are all corrupted, RtL are double-sided (with a green forest at the other side), ToI have strange shapes (I think only the dead ends would need to be searched for) and SoB has only three (you'd need to keep track of those three).

OK, here I am again with the imagens printed. The WoD tiles I had were in their box (we haven't used them yet) and guess what, there is no difference. They are identical to those of the core game. The ammount of each one is different so I'll try to describe them. The SoB copy I have has not been played yet and all the components are inside, so I can see the 3 pieces and compare them to the others. With that and the list I can give you enough information to separate all the expansion pieces.

All the 6x6 and 6x4 rooms are in the core game. There are 2 types of 6x6 rooms: one with mushrooms and grass on the floor and another one with a big beast skeleton on a grey tiles floor. There are 3 types of 6x4 rooms: One room follos the style of the grey tiles, another room follos the style of the grass and mushrooms, and the remaining two are mostly brown with some small human skulls on a corner.

Since the styles are very recognisable let's give them names: "grass-and-mushrooms" (with green), "grey-tiles" (mostly grey) and "brown-floor".

There are 2 styles on the 4x4 tiles: grass-and-mushrooms and grey-tiles. The core game has 2 of each one. The WoD has one of the grass-and-mushrooms. The grass-and-mushrooms ones have groups of big mushrooms at 3 corners while grey-tiles ones has several skulls at one corner. The AoD has 2 more corrupted 4x4 rooms. The ToI 4x4 rooms are marked with leters (A to H) and all the other 4x4 belong to the RtL. There is also a big 10x10 room that belongs to the ToI and the piece you place the camp on that belongs to the RtL.

The same 2 styles are used for the original L shaped corridors. The grass-and-mushrooms ones have no mushrooms this time, while on the "grey-tiles" ones you can see two broken sets of sword and shield (one of the shields is upside down). The core game has 3 of each kind. The WoD has 1 grass-and-mushrooms corridor and 2 grey-tiles ones. The other turning corridors are doubled-sided and they would fit on a 4x4 room (which means they belong to the RtL), on a 3x3 room (which means it belongs to the ToI) or on a 2x2 room (which means it belongs to the SoB).

There are no other corridors in the WoD. The other corridors in the core game are straight with three possible lengths: 2 spaces (brown floor), 4 spaces (grey-tiles) and 6 spaces (grey-tiles). All the AoD straight corridors are corrupted. The ToI corridors lengths are 1 space or 3 spaces (no other expansion uses these lenghts). There are also 2 2x2 transition pieces too which are used to fit a dungeon to an open area, these belong to the ToI. All the even-number-of-spaces long double-sided corridors belong to the RtL. The SoB has no straight corridors other than the portal. Both the RtL portal and the SoB portal are the same on both sides.

The T shaped intersections used on the core game and on the WoD are either grass-and-mushrooms (with no mushrooms) or brown-floor style. The core game has 2 of each. The WoD has 2 grass-and-mushrooms ones. The AoD has 4 corrupted ones. The remaining ones are double-sided and they would fit on either a 4x4 room (which means they belong to the RtL) or on a 3x4 room (which means they belong to the ToI).

The core game + shaped intersections are exactly the same as the WoD ones and they have the brown-floor style with a skull and an arm on them. The core game has 2 and the WoD has the other 2. The AoD has 2 more and they are corrupted. The remaining ones are double-sided and would fit on either a 4x4 room (RtL) or on a 2x2 room (ToI).

Finally the dead ends. All the one-sided non-corrupted ones are exactly the same. The core game has 20, the WoD has 2. The AoD has 3 corrupted ones. The remaining 16 ones are double-sided. 6 of them show color portals and belong to the RtL, 1 has a square painted in black and also belongs to RtL. Now look at those RtL ones on the outdoor side and you'll notice that they show a wood in spring or summer. The ToI ones show the wood in fall or winter. The SoB has no dead ends.