League FAQ

By Guest, in Arkham Horror League

Hey Howdy Hey,

This is JR. I am the one setting up and running the league. A few clarifications for league play.

Yes it is free. All scenarios will be posted on our site in the Arkham section.

You may use any investigator from any expansion. You may choose not to, and may then change to an expansion investigator when that expansion's scenarios come up. If the investigator begins with a certain item, they may take that item. No other copies of the item are put in the decks. If your investigator dies, you may choose a new investigator. The new investigator will be used for all the scenarios following their entry. The investigators can be chosen from any expansion. If you choose to stick with the scenario expansions then you may swap out any basic investigator for a new one when you get to the next expansion. If you start with an expansion investigator first, then you are stuck with that one until devoured. If an investigator is retired, they can be used later.

Devoured investigators and where's and why's. If an investigator is devoured, please note that they did get devoured under the lived column. If an investigator is drawn to replace them, please place an R under the lived column. In addition if you have multiple replacements or other in game shenanigans please include that in the e-mail sent to me. As far as penalizing people for having been eaten, I think that not being able to use that investigator again for the next games is penalty enough.

Rumors - There will not be a reward for completing rumors. The reasoning is chance. It is unfair to reward players for drawing a certain card when not everyone will draw one, or may not draw multiples. It would be like rewarding players for drawing All Quiet in Arkham.

In each scenario there will be listed what expansion is included. Only the listed expansions will be allowed in the scenario.

If your investigator dies and you begin a new one, simply add a line below the form if you don't have room. There should have been more room, I am working on fixing that now. The Location, W/L, and Terror Track level don't need 8 lines, just fill those in once for each scenario.

Location is where your team is. If you are playing in Missoula, MT put that there. If you are in London, England put that there.

W/L is the spot for won or lost. Yes you can send in results from games you lost.

With each scenario you will start fresh. No allies, cards, items, clue tokens, trophies... will carry over.

Each time a scenario is completed send in a form. Multiple forms help us find some averages and player selections. The form has been updated and is now capable of recording all the necessary scoring data.

Injury/ Madness will be in when the Dunwich scenarios are used or in later ones if specified.

Results will be on the honor system, and yes there will be postings of top ranking teams.

Characters chosen don't matter power wise, the goal is for people to play with who they want, and have a good time doing it. There might be some scenarios where being a spell caster might be harder, some where close combat is harder. The goal is fun pure and simple.

Since the results are being e-mailed in, please feel free to put in the e-mail any extra circumstances, gate bursts, rumors overcome, or any fun info about you game.

You may play solo with as many investigators as you want, just put in the e-mail how many players there were so we can congratulate you on running the team.

Once an investigator is devoured they are out. They are removed from future scenarios and can not be revived, resuscitated, or rescued. This is only true of the best result from each scenario. The scoring will be the scoring method in the rulebook. I should have known Kevin is the ultimate gaming master 8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif .

New scenarios should be going up every two weeks. You don't have to play the scenario within that time frame, but results will get posted about the time of the new scenario.

You will not be required to print out any heralds.

Only monsters from the game set being played are allowed in. (If base then only base monsters, if Dunwich then add those...)

Download the results pdf, fill it out on your computer, then attach it to an e-mail and send it to me.

Scenario 1
Cultists in the outskirts do not count as awakening Yig. The streets do count as a location. The idea is that they are working together to awaken the snake and in the outskirts they could very well be on opposite sides of Arkham!

Scenario 2
Allies that are starting equipment do not need to be rolled for. Any allies gained once the game has started must be rolled for.

Trading may only be attempted once per turn. If you fail the roll those characters may not trade anything until the next round.

Sanity loss due to monsters arriving in Arkham. The justification for investigators losing sanity even while in the other world is - with each one of those monsters freed they increase Nyarlathotep's power. See it as Nyarly flexing his crazy muscle 8a80c6485cd926be453217d59a84a888.gif . If you are Lost In Time And Space and you lose your last sanity you are resent to LITAS. Same as if you were at the asylum and lost your last sanity, you just fall down delayed and try again.

Scenario 3
The Dunwich Board
Any monster (regardless of border color) in Dunwich, moves every Mythos phase. All monsters moving in Dunwich move towards the vortex above the Backwoods Country street location. Flyers move to the sky, then then are treated as if they came from Arkham. Green bordered monsters move 1 space in addition to triggering their normal movement special rules. If this special movement would take them to a location other than the vortex, the special movement ie. Hound of Tindalos takes precedence. Yellow bordered monster move 1 space towards the vortex.

Arkham Board
Any monster (regardless of border color) in Arkham, moves every Mythos phase. All monsters in Arkham move towards the Black Cave. Flyers move to the sky and then on the following turn move to the Black Cave. Green bordered monsters move 1 space in addition to triggering their normal movement special rules. If this special movement would take them to a location other than the Black Cave, the special movement ie. Hound of Tindalos takes precedence. Yellow bordered monster move 1 space towards the Black Cave. Monsters do move if they share a space with an Investigator. The monster that appears due to a gate opening on the Black Cave is not subject to the end of Mythos phase effect, until the following Mythos phase. This allows players a turn to fight a flier or move to the Black Cave to catch the flier when it descends. Fliers do count towards monster limit, even if they are coming from Dunwich. Treat Stalkers like green bordered monsters. They move the one space, then use their special movement, even if they move onto a space with an investigator.

Stalkers move their 1 movement towards the Black Cave. They then move their stalker movement towards the closest investigator. Any fast monster will be able to make it from the Graveyard to the Black Cave. Monsters do not get devoured until the end of the Mythos Phase, as such each team would be able to attack them before they get eaten, assuming the investigator doesn't get eaten. Monsters in Dunwich do not move if sharing a space with an investigator.

Investigators returning from a gate which opened on the Black Cave must make the fight check upon returning from the Other World.

Formless Spawn have a horror rating of -3.

The numbers of cards removed are accurate. The extra Healing Stone is due to the sheer number of questions Kevin gets about 2 Healing Stones and the other cards that were to replace cards. The other numbers are correct, you will be removing some cards, and not the full set of them.

If a gate is open on the Black Cave, an Investigator may move to the Black Cave to enter the gate. If they do so they must still pass the fight check, as Tsathoggua's minions race to feed them to the famished ape. If they seal the gate, monsters still move as instructed above.

Monsters must spend one full turn on the Black Cave to be devoured, even if they spawn at the Black Cave, fly there, ooze there what have you...

Fliers moving to the sky are treated as if they came from Arkham. ie. A Byakhee spawns in Dunwich. Next turn it moves to the sky. The following turn it moves to the Black Cave. The following turn it is eaten.

The Black Cave check is a fight check not a combat check.

The Dunwich Horror is not subject to any Scenario rules. It is way too powerful for that.

Scenario 4

If you successfully evade a child of abhoth you do not need to make a will check. You do make the will check after combat regardless of winning, losing, or drawing. The will check is at +0.

Double the monsters does not apply to spawned monsters (Child of Abhoth or Dunwich Horror). It does apply to any other monster appearing (A monster appears, a gate and a monster appear, gate opening). If a monster surge occurs, the number of monsters that appear is not doubled. (This would unbalance larger teams.) If a card instructs you to place monsters in the streets, that amount is doubled. If a rumor has you place monsters on it that amount is not doubled (as this would cause most rumors to go off instantly).

All the Flesh Ward spells should be removed from the spell deck.

Scenario 5

If a monster moves off of a yellow space, its horror rating returns to normal. A monster without sanity damage listed under its horror check deals no sanity damage. The horror check is taken, as certain abilities can be triggered, but there is no sanity damage dealt.

Clue tokens gained through encounters do not generate yellow sign tokens. Yellow sign token are only generated with "A Clue appears at."

Any questions please send my way.

argopellter said:

How do you post your score if you lost? Do you get any penalties or do you just take the Doom track minus terror? In scenario two if you are devoured right before final combat do you get a new character to go into final combat with Nyar......

If you lose, score is ZERO. We are using the standard scoring rules found on page 12 of the rulebook.

Is there some generic sheet out there some where that we can fill out?

Is it possible to socre less tna zero? We were defeated tonight (0 points) and have used to elder sings, so we should be at -2 pointe final score.

Paladyn said:

Is it possible to socre less tna zero? We were defeated tonight (0 points) and have used to elder sings, so we should be at -2 pointe final score.

If you lose, your score is 0 - you do not calculate anything else.

The only way to get a negative score would be to actually win but then get enough modifiers to bring you below zero. I am not certain this is even possible. But I suppose with enough Elder signs, retired investigators and using one of the difficulty modifiers from Black Goat, you would be close.

Use two elder signs (-2) on Yig (+10), then fail the Terrible Experiment bringing the terror level to 10 (-10) and waking Yig up as the monsters spill out and overload the board, and then have all but one investigator devoured in the final battle (+1) gives a total of -1 just with base game stuff.

Getting a negative score and still winning seems to be an interesting challenge in its own right, though!

JeR, could you tell me if Charlie Kane can select allies that aren't in the game with Ma's Boarding House? A ruling on this will be crucial to how I play the Azathoth scenario (I'm playing through with three players vs. Nijay, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to win otherwise).

The Charlie Kane thing wil be updated in the next FAQ, which I am working on putting together. The answer to that one specificall, from the mouth of Kevin, is that Charlie can only get allies that were part of the initial 11 selected for the game. The others, being part of setup, are not ever out of the box. As such are not ever returned to the box.

More to come in the next weeks.

Happy Investiating,

JeR

"If the investigator begins with a certain item, they may take that item. No other copies of the item are put in the decks."

I like how you made the urchin the worst possible character to pick.

JeR said:

The Charlie Kane thing wil be updated in the next FAQ, which I am working on putting together. The answer to that one specificall, from the mouth of Kevin, is that Charlie can only get allies that were part of the initial 11 selected for the game. The others, being part of setup, are not ever out of the box. As such are not ever returned to the box.

More to come in the next weeks.

Happy Investiating,

JeR

Thanks :') although Charlie got eaten in scenario seven (and I'm not doing replays) so so much for that plan (even if it were legal) ::laughter:: When writing the F.A.Q. please say whether or not Charlie can get allies from the original 11 with Ma's. Anyways, thanks again for the partial ruling.

MrEntity said:

"If the investigator begins with a certain item, they may take that item. No other copies of the item are put in the decks."

She's not as good as she normally is, but she's still not bad, you just don't understand how to use her evade and sneak effectively. Use those right and she's still an excellent character.

Ok, me and a friend have decided to get started on the league play and see how we do, but first a couple questions for clarity :

--->On investigators, we can play any investigator and their corresponding equipment regardless of whether or not they are from the showcased sets from the scenarios, but if we pull from outside the sets showcased for the scenario, then we are stuck with that investigator till he dies, am i correct?

--->What are the rules for retiring an investigator? or are there in game cards that do that?

--->If we decide to pick an investigator from the basic sets listed in the separate scenarios, can we legally change characters in between scenarios? The listed rules i downloaded says we cannot, but your FAQ implies that we can, i just want to be clear so we dont get a dis-qualified ruling.

--->Lets say we have a team of 3 investigators, and before we even start one investigator has a death in the family. so we do scenario one and two without him as a two player game, as he needs time for family, then at scenario 3 he is able to come back and wants to play. Can we work him into scenario 3 and expand our current league group to 3, or would we need to start over since we did the first scenarios within the two players standing ladders? The basic question is, once leage gaming begins is the number of players fixed or can we add players later, or work them out if they need to go?

--->Where is the results pdf? i couldnt find it anywhere.

--->if a player plays the same investigator over several scenarios, does he keep accumulated gear?

I love this game and look forward to playing this, as long as we finish and email the results by jan 31 we can still be involved right? Even if its too late, we will probably still play it anyhow, as it seems fun.

Best of wishes to everyone and hoping your shadows are free of dark ones. cool.gif

1) Yes, all correct.

2) The rules are found in Dunwich. Basically, your investigator needs 2 or more Injury/Madness cards. You can then voluntarily skip your turn and draw a new investigator. The proceedure is the same for a devoured investigator (which means you reset all equipment but keep trophies) except that the effects of having an investigator devoured (such as something that might be triggered for the GOO) do not take effect. The timing is an issue that was never officially clarified but I play it that you announce during Upkeep and skip your entire turn. One final note: I/M cards are only in Dunwich so technically you can only retire during Dunwich games.

3) Yes, that was my understanding of the rules though I think everyone has chosen to stick with their original team (unless devoured of course). So you can legally change when Dunwich and Kingsport are introduced to the mix.

4) The investigators must remain constant through out. So if a player needs to change out mid-way, either find a new player or one of the other players can take over his investigator for the time being.

5) Not sure it carried over from the old site. It didn't work well anyway. Just send an email to JR and list out how you got to your score using the rules on Page 12.

6) No. This is not a campaign in teh traditional sense. Equipment starts over each game. Though I think the idea is great and I wish they would incorporate it in future leagues. It rewards longevity.

7) Yes, results are due by Jan. 31. But it is just for bragging rights. Unless FFG decides to throw a bone our way. The whole thing was just for fun.

One more question, on the martial artist lily chen, when does she gain the listed stamina/sanity gains? She has a focus of 2 stops, and when her stamina/sanity increases she gains 1 point of stamina or sainity. Does that resolve after each "stop" during the slider move, so she could technically move the slider one stop to left, gain 1 stamina, then move the slider 1 stop to the right, and gain one sanity? Or does the listed sanity/stamina gains only kick in at the end of the slider movement phase, once both of her focus has been resolved, and we calculate the end net result of what increased or decreased?

Thanks for the quick reply and keep up the good gaming throughout the new year.

As you have already gotten the answer elsewhere, I'll just recap to say you get after she has stopped moving. You can't gain both Sanity and Stamina in teh same turn.

Avi_dreader said:

MrEntity said:

She's not as good as she normally is, but she's still not bad, you just don't understand how to use her evade and sneak effectively. Use those right and she's still an excellent character.

I understand the evade stuff. She's one of my favorite characters because of it. (Her, the photographer, the librarian, the reporter, and the private eye probably) But only having one elder sign in the entire deck is just balls.

MrEntity said:

Avi_dreader said:

MrEntity said:

I understand the evade stuff. She's one of my favorite characters because of it. (Her, the photographer, the librarian, the reporter, and the private eye probably) But only having one elder sign in the entire deck is just balls.

Heh... You like the power characters... I'm annoyed that she doesn't have her Elder Sign in the last scenario too ;') You left out the researcher though.

We need a ruling on scenario 3. (Jeez that one is hard) Where do fliers from dunwich go? Black cave or the vortex in Dunwich?

There are conflicting rulings. The first one says :

JeR Said :
The Dunwich Board
Any monster (regardless of border color) in Dunwich, moves every Mythos phase. All monsters moving in Dunwich move towards the vortex above the Backwoods Country street location. Flyers move to the sky, then on the following turn move to the vortex.

Which implies fliers from Dunwich go to the vortex. But wait :

JeR said : Fliers moving to the sky are treated as if they came from Arkham. ie. A Byakhee spawns in Dunwich. Next turn it moves to the sky. The following turn it moves to the Black Cave. The following turn it is eaten.

Which implies fliers from Dunwich go to the black cave.

Which one is true? Both of these quotes came from JeR's post at the beginning of this topic as clarifications for league play.

We just made a house ruling of black cave and stuck with it. We failed this task twice already, with 2 investigators. Gonna try again soon.

Fliers go to the Sky which then makes them on the Arkham board and subject to those rules.

JR changed this when it was pointed out it would be too much trouble tracking if a flier came from Dunwich or Arkham and that it would be more in line with the rules to track them as if they were from Arkham once they hit the skies.

So the 2nd quote by JR is correct and should have overrode the first quote. I thought he deleted the first comment but apparently he didn't.

Can someone be kind enough to clarify a few rules for scenario 7 for me?

1. Are Guardians allowed? I assume not but thoght I'd ask to be sure preocupado.gif

2. Is the Curse of the Dark Pharoah a permanent or visiting exhibit?

3. How are Allies included in the scenario? Kingsport Horror states that only 11 Allies should be in play but this tends to contradict the rules as laid out in Curse of the Dark Pharoah. The official FAQ's state that the rules in the Dunwich Horror expansion are preferred but that using all Allies is also a valid method.

4. Are Epic Battle and Ancient One Plot Cards in use for the Final Battle?

Any help with these questions will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

The GIT! said:

Can someone be kind enough to clarify a few rules for scenario 7 for me?

1. Are Guardians allowed? I assume not but thoght I'd ask to be sure preocupado.gif

2. Is the Curse of the Dark Pharoah a permanent or visiting exhibit?

3. How are Allies included in the scenario? Kingsport Horror states that only 11 Allies should be in play but this tends to contradict the rules as laid out in Curse of the Dark Pharoah. The official FAQ's state that the rules in the Dunwich Horror expansion are preferred but that using all Allies is also a valid method.

4. Are Epic Battle and Ancient One Plot Cards in use for the Final Battle?

Any help with these questions will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

1. Guardians are like Herlads and GOOs, they are only in if they are specifically called for.
  2. Permanent
  3. Randomly select the 11. DH is preferred because it is Kevin Wilson's method of playing (he designed the two big boxes as well as the base game). The CotDP method was devised by someone else. Instead of contradicting themselves, they let both stand as viable rules but Dunwich is "more official."
  4. Like the Guardian, It should be specific if they are in. So don't add them.

Just to be sure: Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and King in Yellow are always played "permanent exhibit / performance", right?

Hey ColtsFan76 , thanks for the prompt response and for clarifying my questions. Now to tackle Y'golonac llorando.gif

Iron_Lord said:

Just to be sure: Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and King in Yellow are always played "permanent exhibit / performance", right?

In the league, yes that is correct.

"Download the results pdf"

Where ?