Heavy Recon Grenadiers and British Paratroops!

By Loophole Master, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

box-dust-tactics-hrg-right.png

Sweet armor! I wonder if all this talk about "toughest armor in the game" mean it's actually Armor 4 instead of 3, or if it just referes to the combination of Armor 3 and Damage Resilience. Either way, they seem like one tough nut to crack. Also cool to see the first example of figures handling knives.

box-dust-tactics-rd-left.png

Finally the brits join the fray! ANd with phaser guns to boot. The Honet's phaser is 120W, while theirs is 60W, so I think we can expect it to do about half the damage. My guess is around 1*3 infantry, 2*3 vehicles. I also wonder if the whole "paratrooper" thing actually means anything in-game. The bit about "timing their arrival" makes me think they have some sort of special deployment rules. That would be sweet.

Interestingly, I think this is the first time when we get these single box releases for both factions where the units aren't exactly equivalents. The Heavy Recons are anti-infantry, while the paratroopers are anti-tank.

60 Watt, my light bulbs have more power than that :/

Major Mishap said:

60 Watt, my light bulbs have more power than that :/

Just goes to show how much destructive power is sitting at your fingertips when alien science is applied to common household goods! gran_risa.gif

would be great to convert a lit light bulb on the tops of the phasers :)

I am now ILLUMINATED! It will be a quest.

makes me happy to see a few brits made it to the war. These will add abit of anti tank to the allied infantry and I much prefer them to the two rocket fisted armor dudes their putting in the revised core set.

It's good to see some British forces arriving in DT but it's a bit of strange unit choice. British Airborne/Paratroop forces were by definition highly mobile Elite infantry and not anti armour troops. I would have much preferred to see this as a 5 man Paradrop squad with maybe one good medium weapon and one light weapon (could have been two versions of the Hornet phaser, medium & light), satchel charges and the rest small arms. Hopefully it's not too late for FFG to have a rethink on this box set. Take a look at "A bridge too far" film to see what British Airborne forces were equipped with. Sten guns and PIAT type weponary would have been more appropriate with GPMG & satchel charges (or their DT equivalents). They should have made there USP a Paradrop Elite unit that was good against all types of infantry plus light armour (or have made this box set part of a wider "Red Devils" force within DT). It would have been a more accurate representation. It would also be more appropriate to have had the British Airbone forces (Pegasus) insignia on their chest.

Hopefully we will se some Commando & SAS troops as well as other countries units down the line . Some Brit armour would also be cool (maybe a take on the Firefly or the Cromwell) although I would imagine it will be the RAF who get the limelight if aircraft are introduced.

As an after thought. It would have also probably been more appropriate to have called them 1st Paratroop Brigade (involved in battle of Arhem) as this would have been more historically accurate. Maybe they are getting confused with the current day - 3 Commando Brigade which is made up of mainly Commando & Royal Marine units and has no Paratroop Battalions within the formation.

I think historical accuracy went out the window when Sigrid killed Hitler. gui%C3%B1o.gif

I get your point, but it's clear by now that Dust Tactics is just losely inspired on actual WW2, and the more the game develops, the farther it's getting from the stuff we're familiar with.

Loophole Master said:

I think historical accuracy went out the window when Sigrid killed Hitler. gui%C3%B1o.gif

I get your point, but it's clear by now that Dust Tactics is just losely inspired on actual WW2, and the more the game develops, the farther it's getting from the stuff we're familiar with.

Or even earlier when they found an alien ship!

Peacekeeper_b said:

Or even earlier when they found an alien ship!

Well, I heard from a friend of my 2nd cousin's that that actually happened.

Loophole Master said:

LOL!!!!!!

can i quote you in my sig?

Just remember that they are on Defensive , used as elite InfaNTRY (like german did wit falshrimjagers in real ww2).Dust paratroopers use Jump packs so heavy harness armour is crucial - and finaly if you can arm your para in portable AT weapon that is still higly usable to kill infantry - Why not?

Poyet said:

LOL!!!!!!

can i quote you in my sig?

Sure lengua.gif

Let us not forget the VK dust all over the planets hard to reach places. Somehow it had to be placed there billions of years ago, so that changes history from the beginning.

Hey all I understand a game is a game and indeed this game doesn't have to follow history to the letter or the players along the way but I think some rooting in fact helps. The fact Hitler was seen off by Sigrid is fine but at least there is a reference which adds some legitimacy. If the game is equally split between fact, fiction and sci-fi it won't go to far wrong and indeed I remember seeing another thread discussing is the game going to far sci-fi and this is interesting because I think if you spilt from the trinity mentioned you can lose people a little. Rooting in some historical fact I thinks give some credibility also. Just my take and not enforced on others.

Thanks for the Wiki link. That will teach me to Wiki first LOL. But flipping the coin. Search 1st Parachute Brigade and you will get about 5 times as much info on Wiki. There is good reason for this. Hence why I thought 1st Para Brigade would have been more appropriate. Good to know there was a 3rd Brigade though. They certainly weren't familiar to me.

On a more positive note. Is that a British Hero character I see in the Gencon report to go with the Paras? Looks like he is carrying two Phaser weapons.

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

Action Jackson? Hadn't thought about it, but he could very well be british.

Loophole Master said:

Action Jackson? Hadn't thought about it, but he could very well be british.

Action Jackson would seem more appropriate for a US Hero but then logic doesn't always follow in this game as already discussed.

Who is Johnny One Eye? Maybe it could be him? Somebody knows out there so spill the beans.

Also liking the look of those Heavy Axis troops. No so keen on the Assault Walker they are in front of though (think it's allied).

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

The card reads "Major Jackson Clayborne - 3rd Para Brigade", so I guess he is british.

And yeah, I don't much dig the Revised Core Set light walkers. Though again the allied is surely the uglier one.

LM you the man! It's great to have Brit hero on route. Do you know if he will be here before Christmas? Seems like he has some serious damage output if the dice are with you. It would also seem he was designed some time ago as he has the old point system listed. Not to sure about his close combat attacks though. Kick and head butt sounds a bit Python'esque when he has two big lumps of metal attached to each arm.

While the 2 new Light Walkers are not as nice as the 2 ones released already. I was actually referring to the Axis troops in front of the big brown Walker. I liked the look of the current Walkers and am not to sure if I like the new big Allied beetle type one and the Axis one with the 2 trailing legs. Looks a bit silly in my opinion and out of character with the minis produced already. Maybe they look better close up I don't know. In truth I prefer the current aesthetic and would have preferred they had kept with it but maybe just made them larger and had a bit of a redesign.

Chimaera said:

Not to sure about his close combat attacks though. Kick and head butt sounds a bit Python'esque when he has two big lumps of metal attached to each arm.

Well, as unreliable as the phasers are, I don't think you want to be whacking people with them. That's delicate experimental weaponry! But as for their ranged attack, yes, if you're lucky with the dice, he's by far the most powerful hero out there. 12 damage against any infantry or tank (except heavy), that's just way too much.