Question about Unique Attachments

By Azarith_Stryffe, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

Hey everyone,

Quick question about Unique Attachments. I am currently running the Direwolves deck out of LoW, and as you know Grey Wind is a big player in that deck as an attachment. Now my friend plays Targ regularly with Mad King's Legacy which removes and attachment. If he discards Grey Wind, and it being unique may I attach another copy of him to a character once the first is discarded. I know there's a different between discard and dead but didn't know if it matters for attachments. Also, should the character one of my unique attachments is on dies, same question, can I replay that same attachment if I have another copy.

Azarith_Stryffe said:

Hey everyone,

Quick question about Unique Attachments. I am currently running the Direwolves deck out of LoW, and as you know Grey Wind is a big player in that deck as an attachment. Now my friend plays Targ regularly with Mad King's Legacy which removes and attachment. If he discards Grey Wind, and it being unique may I attach another copy of him to a character once the first is discarded. I know there's a different between discard and dead but didn't know if it matters for attachments. Also, should the character one of my unique attachments is on dies, same question, can I replay that same attachment if I have another copy.

You may only have one unique card in play at a time. Discarded cards are not in play, so you can then use Grey Wind as an attachment as long as one copy is not already in play. You could attach a Duplicate of Grey Wind to an existing copy of him to save the copy of him from being discarded or brought back into your hand.

Since you don't kill attachments, once Grey Wind hits the discard pile, you may play another copy of him an any character as if the other copy never existed.

Thank you very much for clarifying this

Azarith_Stryffe said:

I know there's a different between discard and dead but didn't know if it matters for attachments.

It clearly does, but the rules for unique cards do not make a differentiation between card types - only whether they are unique or not.

But as long as the attachment is not "killed' and placed in the dead pile, I can play more then the 1 that was just discarded, correct?

Azarith_Stryffe said:

But as long as the attachment is not "killed' and placed in the dead pile, I can play more then the 1 that was just discarded, correct?

Correct. But only 1 can be in play at a time. The only way you can play another unique attachment is when it is discarded or it is put back into your hand by some card effect. Unique cards that have a copy in the dead pile or have a copy that is already in play cannot be put into play.

Azarith_Stryffe said:

Yes. The thing to keep in mind, though, is that there really isn't a way to "kill" an attachment. There are some things that will move cards into the dead pile, but that's about it.

A more likely scenario would be to have your character copy of Grey Wind killed (ending up in the dead pile), preventing you from playing your attachment copy of Grey Wind (because the rules of unique only care about card title , not type).

Bomb said:

Correct. But only 1 can be in play at a time. The only way you can play another unique attachment is when it is discarded or it is put back into your hand by some card effect.

Be careful not to read this statement too quickly. When Bomb says "but only 1 can be in play at a time" or "the only way you can play another unique attachment...," he is referring to unique attachments with the same name . It would be easy to over-generalize here and think that the statement was trying to say "only one unique attachment, period."

Luckily for me the deck I play is only running the attachment version of Grey Wind, but thank you so much for the clarification