Decals

By player1049648, in Dust Tactics

As the topic suggests, does any one know of a source of decals to use on the infantry? I would like to aquire decals for rank, (sergeant stripes, etc.) unit badges, (US Rangers, etc.) for both allied and axis troops. Usefull decals for the walkers would also be welcome. In addition I would like to thank all the painters on the boards for their pictures and guides. I am having fun painting the models. I look forward to all the new releases of this game.

Brucer101

I just ordered the axis and allied decals from dust-models.com .. I'm sure there's lots of other historical decals out there. I just did a google for "WWII model decals" and found this site..

http://www.kits-world.com/

looks like it's mostly for model planes but there's a lot that could also be used for dust stuff.

http://homepage.mac.com/brentdietrich/companyB_decals.htm

I just placed a order with them for a couple of sheets, shipping is $.80. I have not gotten in the mail yet to comment on their quality and such...but they were exactly what I was looking for.

I had been hand painting the rank and flags. They had been turning out alright...but this will look tons better. Also each squad will vary a bit now because I plan on them from being from different units.

Icey101 said:

I just placed a order with them for a couple of sheets, shipping is $.80. I have not gotten in the mail yet to comment on their quality and such...but they were exactly what I was looking for.

Wow those look great.. I've been thinking about getting some decals for shoulder pads and unit markings.. but what would I get? Like, what kind of units would get what decals for it to be "right" .. like, would I just use regular infantry emblems? And sergeant stripes for the unit leaders? what about german troops, they don't use the same stripes as the US does, do they?

Necross said:

Icey101 said:

Wow those look great.. I've been thinking about getting some decals for shoulder pads and unit markings.. but what would I get? Like, what kind of units would get what decals for it to be "right" .. like, would I just use regular infantry emblems? And sergeant stripes for the unit leaders? what about german troops, they don't use the same stripes as the US does, do they?

Most nations use their own rank sysmbols, though the often are similar, using rockers and chevrons and so forth.

For your squads, I would recommend the folloing. 1 SGT per 5 troops, 1 SSG per 10 troops. Everyone else as PVT or CPL. Maybe special weapons as CPL.

When moving to special squads, such as the upcoming Grim Reapers and so forth, I would use CPL, SGT and TSG ranks.

Just for the record, and using keyboard characters, these are the ranks.

None Private

< Private Second Class

<) Private First Class

<< Corporal

<<< Sergeant

<<<) Staff Sergeant

<<<)) Sergeant First Class

<<<))) Master Sergeant

<<<T Tech Sergeatn

A Master Sergeant with a Diamond is a First Sergeant.

Thanks for the answers! That was fast. I will look into both manufacturers for what I need. Also some great insight into distribution of ranks. Dust has quickly become my game of choice. Thanks again to all who gave information and direction. Brucer101

Those are nice decals just be sure not to put the flags on backward like the examples, in the US military the "canton" (the blue part) always points towards the front of the person or vehicle, to quote the US Army regs "so that it appears to be swept back by the wind".

And about the Germans, they use system of collar rank and sholder boards, they would be quite hard to see at 1/48th scale, but wikipedia has some great examples and graphics, and Testors makes a inkjet decal paper, so you could print your own. Perhaps scaled up and placed somewhere on the soldier's armor might look nice.

Miah999 said:

Those are nice decals just be sure not to put the flags on backward like the examples, in the US military the "canton" (the blue part) always points towards the front of the person or vehicle, to quote the US Army regs "so that it appears to be swept back by the wind".

I think that may be a more recent change (post WWII). Not sure though.

WOW!!! These decals look so cool. Anyone had any luck with them yet?

Peacekeeper_b said:

Most nations use their own rank sysmbols, though the often are similar, using rockers and chevrons and so forth.

And even nations have different ranks for each service...turns into a pain in the butt.

I've printed some custom decals for other projects with the testors paper, it works great. but you're stuck with a transparent decal that's only good for dark decals over light areas. The professional kind are printed with white ink first, then the colors, they stand out a lot better. I dunno how they do that, if I knew a place where I could just send them some artwork and could make the bright colors I need I'd love to be able to do that. Not just for this game but 40K also

Icey101 said:

Peacekeeper_b said:

And even nations have different ranks for each service...turns into a pain in the butt.

All four branches of service in the US military. At least we use the same for the officers, just the Navy got the titles wrong!

I use FoW tank transfers for the national markings on the shoulderpads of my infantry. a grreat source of British markings is Warlord (boltaction) kits in 28mm.

Don't forget the Coast Guard (makes it five) everyone forgets the Coast Guard.

Icey101 said:

Even the Coast Guard...

Icey101 said:

Sorry, I was talking from a Department of Defense stand point. Not the Department of Homeland Security (and before that Department of Transportation!).

IMG_0250.jpg

Decal arrived today...I forgot how much I hate applying decals. These are the 5th Rangers decal sheet...from B Company.

they look great though. perfect size

I am trying to get Company B to do some German Smock insignia, the green bars and oakleaves the germans used on camo smocks for rank. I think they can do it, they had me send a pic. These would be so cool.

These decals look great. Mine are on the way!

Wow I liked the way the decals turned out. I ordered the Decals for the 28th Infantry Division. They should arrive soon. I still have 15 troops to paint then it is on to the walkers.

I also have a set of 1st infantry ones...I could not get these to stick to the curved upper part of the shoulder pad. Keep in mind I do not have any of the decal juice or anything like that and was just using plain water...I had to resort to super gluing these down.

Anyone see if they had any 7th ATC decals?

Icey101 said:

I also have a set of 1st infantry ones...I could not get these to stick to the curved upper part of the shoulder pad. Keep in mind I do not have any of the decal juice or anything like that and was just using plain water...I had to resort to super gluing these down.

Try using a gloss finish on the area first. Decals have a hard time sticking to a porous surface- this is also what causes the sheen effect (air trapped under the decal). You can also make some weak decal solvent by mixing some vinegar and water (about 50/50 or so) to help the decal shape better to a curved surface. It works just not as good or fast as some of the specialty made decal solvents.

Peacekeeper_b said:

Anyone see if they had any 7th ATC decals?

I just checked the site and they do not have them. They have 101st, 82nd, 2nd Rangers, 5th Rangers, 1st, 28th, 29th, 35th Infantry, 1st Cavalry, and the Armored Infantry.