Miniature Arkham town - Anyone done this before?

By HeatherE, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

Hi! I really love this game, and when the miniature investigators came out I decided that I would soup up my game board and create a miniature city to use instead, using the same techniques that miniature train enthusiasts use. After I got started with the planning, I thought I can't be the first person to have done this, and thought I might come see if anyone has some advice. I am still in the planning stages, mapping out locations and streets.

First one I've heard about, but sounds awesome!!

Just remember to have several large Elder Signs on the walls of your house.

I can't give any advice on the actual process of building but perhaps I can make a design suggestion?

I have always though that the Arkham Board was a little too small (that's right, too small). If you have ever seen the board game Power Grid, it is a huge board but everything you need to play goes on the board itself, and not scattered around the edges.

If the Arkham board had been made a little bigger it could have enough space to hold location cards in each colour zone and have space for all item cards etc. You could even go as far as having common items stored in the General Store, Unique at the Curiosity Shop and Spells... well you get the idea; thematical storage!

Best of luck.

Thanks! I am definitely going bigger, partly for storage like you mentioned, and partly to give it more the feel of a town. I hadn't thought of having the items at the appropriate location though. I think I will do that! The hardest part so far is figuring out how big I can go before it gets too difficult to actually play on.

HeatherE said:

Thanks! I am definitely going bigger, partly for storage like you mentioned, and partly to give it more the feel of a town. I hadn't thought of having the items at the appropriate location though. I think I will do that! The hardest part so far is figuring out how big I can go before it gets too difficult to actually play on.

I'm glad you like the idea. So the obvious ideas are:

Health in the hospital

Sanity in the Asylum

Money in the Bank

Then I'd suggest making the other building into general storage (with the roofs being lids). I feel if you took the idea too far (blessings at the church, retainers at the newspaper) it could make for a frustrating playing experience.

Thanks jgt7771 for the links - those are great!

After doing some work on the layout last night, I am really getting excited. Although its getting pretty big.

HeatherE said:

Thanks jgt7771 for the links - those are great!

After doing some work on the layout last night, I am really getting excited. Although its getting pretty big.

Do not hesitate to share your ideas. Blueprints and materials, I'm taking everything, cause i really would like to do mine too.

I will definitely share! I'm using approximate scale pieces of paper to plan the layout, before I actually make the buildings. I have set up a 4x8 piece of plywood on two sawhorses, and am using that as my work table. I'll try to post some photos as I progress.