Drybrushing and Inking

By Peacekeeper_b, in Dust Tactics

Anyone have any quick tips and pointers for drybrushing and inking walkers?

Also any suggestions on giving my Axis a red hue to thier coats?

Do you have access to Games Workshop paints? They have a line of washes that are very good. All you do is paint it on over your base colors and it will shade everything really good, it sticks in the cracks and really helps pick out the details.

For drybrushing what I do is I take an older brush and grind a little bit of paint into the bristles and rub off most of the excess paint, then I go back and forth over the area with the brush really fast so that the little bit of paint is only sticking on the raised parts of the details. Might take a little practice but once you figure out the technique it's real easy and real fast.
For reds, I would look for GW's Mechrite Red foundation color. Their foundation paints have a lot of extra pigment and they will cover up the color beneath them really good, but the normal red paints are kind of transparent. So if you start with Mechrite Red, you can use that as your red base color, and then add Red Gore or Blood Red over it to get a nice & bright red color.

i often apply inks to armor last. I seal the model with tamiya shiney coat and once dry i ink it. the tamiya coat causes the inks to run into the crack and pool around rivits etc without building up on the flat panels. ive heard that cutting inks with 'future floor polish' works wonders too but cant find any around here. when alls dry hit it with 2-3 layers of testors dullcote. let each layer dry through before the next layer, all shine will be removed.

theguildllc said:

i often apply inks to armor last. I seal the model with tamiya shiney coat and once dry i ink it. the tamiya coat causes the inks to run into the crack and pool around rivits etc without building up on the flat panels. ive heard that cutting inks with 'future floor polish' works wonders too but cant find any around here. when alls dry hit it with 2-3 layers of testors dullcote. let each layer dry through before the next layer, all shine will be removed.

Do what he said or use washes.

Future Floor Polish can be found at Walmart (don't quote this) and I got mine at Home Depot in the United States. In Europe I think it's called Pledge Floor Care or something. I can look for you if you need.

Ugh, can't edit,

Other than Pledge Floor Polish it's also called Johnson's Clear Polish.