Event Card Questions

By Walk, in Mansions of Madness Print on Demand Expansions

Greetings, people of the forums, secret government organizations, and assorted extra-dimensional beings. I've been reading the forums for a while (mostly Arkham Horror), and I'm writing to ask about several event cards in Season of the Witch, which I just received. First of all, in another thread here, someone mentioned that the fourth event card reveals the objective. I know this is normally the case, but for Season of the Witch, it is not. Do you think it should be assumed that the objective should be revealed, just because that's the norm?

Secondly, (with, I suppose, slight spoilers for anyone who doesn't know the event cards), I am wondering about the Tainted event card. My copy has the flavor text "The sound of maniacal cackling echoes through the walls, as if taunting you onward..." followed by a large amount of blank space. The text is fairly nondescript, and there's been an event card without an effect before, but the name and the blank space would seem to indicate that there should be an effect. Is mine a misprint? If so, could someone give me the effect?

Hi there,

Remember, each scenario is different. The rules say the Objective is "usually" revealed on discovery of Clue 1, or Event card 4, but that's just a guideline, have faith in the instructions on the cards.

In Season of te Witch, the Keeper has the chance to reveal the Objective on Event card 3 (read it), but there's no instruction on Event card 4 to reveal the Objective, so don't!

As for Event card 2, The Tainted, mine reads the same as yours. I doubt this is a printing error. Part of the job of the Event cards is to mark time, which adds tension to the game. They usually trigger an event, but the don't have to...

K xx

I know, I was only wondering about Event Card IV because Dam had indicated in the Ceremony event thread that it revealed the objective as normal. As for the Tainted card: that's interesting. The name doesn't seem to have anything to do with the text, but I guess there is a precedent for events that don't do anything.

I admit, it's unusual that an Event card doesn't trigger and actual event. Maybe I'll email FFG after all, just to be sure.

After reading the Ceremony thread, I'm not sure why Dam thinks the 4th Event card reveals the Objective. Maybe he's seen something we've missed?

The rules say the 4th Event card 'usually' reveals the Objective, because for the scenarios in the box it 'usually' does. To me, that reads as a heads up that the 4th Event is a common place to reveal the Objective, but it's not a Rule that they should or must.

K xx

Mr. K said:

After reading the Ceremony thread, I'm not sure why Dam thinks the 4th Event card reveals the Objective. Maybe he's seen something we've missed?

The rules say the 4th Event card 'usually' reveals the Objective, because for the scenarios in the box it 'usually' does. To me, that reads as a heads up that the 4th Event is a common place to reveal the Objective, but it's not a Rule that they should or must.

K xx

Because I posted that reply before getting the expansion and went from base game knowledge base where Event IV always I believe states reveal Objective. It's often tough to answer questions relating to new material when/if people don't post the full text (particulary come across this in the Talisman forums).