Spend Gold Action

By karat, in Rune Age

Can I discard 2 different 2-gold cards to purchase a 1-gold and a 3-gold cost cards with a single spend gold action? The rules are unclear on this, and I could see it argued either way.

I think you can only buy gold cards by spending influence, not gold.

Maerimydra said:

I think you can only buy gold cards by spending influence, not gold.

Gold-cost cards, not gold cards. That is, cards that cost 1 gold and 3 gold.

karat said:

Gold-cost cards, not gold cards. That is, cards that cost 1 gold and 3 gold.

I would say yes.

That's how I read it as well, it's the total gold is pooled.

keltheos said:

That's how I read it as well, it's the total gold is pooled.

I was leaning the other way. There are two arguments in favor of "no":

1) The rules say "A player may purchase multiple units with a single gold card; additionally, a player may purchase a single unit with multiple gold cards." It doesn't say you can purchase multiple items with multiple gold cards or carry over what is left after the first purchase to a second, unless you use a single gold card for both.

2) The example has a player spending a 3, a 3, and a 1 in order to purchase a 4 and a 2.

If only the total sum mattered, the player could only have spent the two 3's.

In any case, I'm glad I asked. This means that the answer isn't obvious, and that this may be worthy of a FAQ response.

I think for one "spend gold" action you play any number of golds from your hand, sum the values, and then buy any number of cards whose combined cost is less than or equal to your spent gold value.

karat said:

keltheos said:

2) The example has a player spending a 3, a 3, and a 1 in order to purchase a 4 and a 2.

Good catch, the rules need clarifications.

we played it with the pool of gold

karat said:

keltheos said:

Storm Sorceress costs 2 gold; Pegasus Rider costs 5 gold; The only way you can purchase both as shown in the example with 3, 3, 1 Gold is to pool the gold amount. I believe you were looking at the strengths of both the cards and not the costs.

D4rkFr4g said:

karat said:

keltheos said:

Storm Sorceress costs 2 gold; Pegasus Rider costs 5 gold; The only way you can purchase both as shown in the example with 3, 3, 1 Gold is to pool the gold amount. I believe you were looking at the strengths of both the cards and not the costs.

You're right. To be fair, I posted when the rulebook came online and before the game was released. The costs aren't in the picture -- the cost portion of the cards in the image are blanked out, and only the strength is showing. Being able to see the actual cards helps. :-)