Dust Tactics Ideas

By arkangl2, in Dust Tactics

So I got some ideas one of which was using 40k as Dust Models. Especially when the aliens invade have some sort of inquisition to fight them and to tap into the World War Wierd Occult and have Daemons and Mutants. Some of my ideas was to use Daemons from warhammer like the Bloodthirster and Bloodletters for Axis and use Mandrakes for Japanese daemons. and Poyet made Kroot as japanese creatures. What do you think? I am not going to go space marines on the Dust Table but maybe something a little on the occult side.

Also I was thinking of using pre-existing dust tactics with tiles as an adventure game kinda like either space hulk or something. Any ideas?

I would rather the game stuck with one source of FX abilities, not spread from super science, the magic to etc etc....

I am fine with people gaining PSYKER powers from exposure to VK effects and what not, or even were beasts as a result of super science genetics, but I dont want to see magic per see in the game.

arkangl said:

So I got some ideas one of which was using 40k as Dust Models. Especially when the aliens invade have some sort of inquisition to fight them and to tap into the World War Wierd Occult and have Daemons and Mutants. Some of my ideas was to use Daemons from warhammer like the Bloodthirster and Bloodletters for Axis and use Mandrakes for Japanese daemons. and Poyet made Kroot as japanese creatures. What do you think? I am not going to go space marines on the Dust Table but maybe something a little on the occult side.

Also I was thinking of using pre-existing dust tactics with tiles as an adventure game kinda like either space hulk or something. Any ideas?

arkangl said:

It would be interesting to see if using only heroes against units of 2 to 3 standard infantry in an indoor game using the standard Dust Tactics rules.
New tiles would have to be designed for it to create hallways and rooms.

The 40K models route is not something that interests me but go for it. If you can make it work good on you.
Perhaps it is an idea to start with replacing the core set units for one side and then playing Operation Blue Thunder to see if the units are fun and balanced. Use Flamers of Zheentch for the BBQ Squad and you don't even need to make any changes to the card gran_risa.gif

arkangl said:

This seems like a cool idea. In fact, it started making me think about how I could use my other minis with Dust Tactics minis. I have a copious amount of Dreamblade minis, and I can think of nothing better to serve as horrors from beyond: creatures like the dreadmorph ogre (my favorite sculpt), or the axemorph demon , or this guy . I could imagine running a World War Occult adventure came combining Dust Tactics minis with those guys.

It's not something I would want to see implemented in the official Dust world (I like the theme the way it is), but it could be really fun as a side project.

Ooooh. Thanks for the idea.

arkangl said:

......... I am not going to go space marines on the Dust Table but maybe something a little on the occult side.

Actually iam thinking about using Space Marine miniatures (need new heads though) as special armored kid soldiers from Grey Ranks (polish home army).

Iam not so found of occult in dust i prefer weird tech mecha feel.

Poyet said:

arkangl said:

......... I am not going to go space marines on the Dust Table but maybe something a little on the occult side.

Actually iam thinking about using Space Marine miniatures (need new heads though) as special armored kid soldiers from Grey Ranks (polish home army).

Iam not so found of occult in dust i prefer weird tech mecha feel.

I agree. Alchemy and other "science" based magic Im good with. Evena certain degree of Hellboy steam-punk style ritualistic magic (liek the opening of Hell Boy the Movie).

As for a board/adventure game, a variation of Incursion, Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel or Blood Berets and so forth are good examples.

btw

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke

.WW2 Japanese for example conducted reserch about using Lightning Storms as a weapon (iam working on it for my homebrew Imperial Japan Dust Army)

FlorisH said:

arkangl said:

arkangl said:

It would be interesting to see if using only heroes against units of 2 to 3 standard infantry in an indoor game using the standard Dust Tactics rules.
New tiles would have to be designed for it to create hallways and rooms.

The 40K models route is not something that interests me but go for it. If you can make it work good on you.
Perhaps it is an idea to start with replacing the core set units for one side and then playing Operation Blue Thunder to see if the units are fun and balanced. Use Flamers of Zheentch for the BBQ Squad and you don't even need to make any changes to the card gran_risa.gif

I so totally agree. I want to run away from WH40k so badly. I do love the RPG, but the tabletop game leaves so much to be desired. It always seems very juvenile in its weaponry. And I hate the rules, regardless of which iteration they are.

Poyet said:

btw

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Arthur C. Clarke

.WW2 Japanese for example conducted reserch about using Lightning Storms as a weapon (iam working on it for my homebrew Imperial Japan Dust Army)

If you want magic and alchemy and so forth, perhaps you should be playing SECRETS OF THE THIRD REICH. I took a look at it, but did not like the mechs.

I do not think magic, even if it is explained as high-tech, will improve the game at all. I do not mind Psychics if they are well balanced, but magic is just out for me.

Grand Inquisitor Fulminarex said:

If you want magic and alchemy and so forth, perhaps you should be playing SECRETS OF THE THIRD REICH. I took a look at it, but did not like the mechs.

I do not think magic, even if it is explained as high-tech, will improve the game at all. I do not mind Psychics if they are well balanced, but magic is just out for me.

You misunderstand me here . I wont/love Mecha-Super Science feel.

Whot i was trying to say is that you can have magic like effects that some ppl wont and still being ok with Super Science aestetics.I am not big on Psykers as well but ray-x ,ZOMBIE, technological invisibility, werewolf serums and artificial Storms and ZOMBIE are imho COOL :>

And you Know , ww2 Mecha are magic explained as Alien High Tech. :)

btw what about Gojira- kosher enough for you or not?

cheers

Not sure what Gojira refers to, Poyet.

HOWEVER, I am going to paint 1 of each Allied basic squad as Polish Free Forces, since I find them to be some of the finest troops in WW2. Do you have any ideas on this?

See I'm not for adding 40k rules to this but I was thinking more like Hellboyish Demon but using 40k models. I just figure I have this huge pile of daemons why not use them for something. And I'm not adding Chaos and Magic to this game.

But I was also thinking of having them be summoned and you have to pick a squad that can summon them. They would then just appear next to the unit that summons them. kinda like a medic for the rules for bringing a unit back except the placement of the unit. Then I was also thinking of borrowing an old rule from 40k with instability and have them every turn roll a dice per model and on hits they lose that many models. It was mostly daemons I was going to use for Dust. They would be pretty much Gorillas except 5 of them and they get a hard cover save. The greater daemon would be summoned the same way but doesnt suffer instability and as long as he is a live the lesser daemons dont suffer from it either. Same rules would apply to his as a vehicle. I also was thinking of just making Greater and Lesser Demons. The lessers would have swords and move 2 armor 3 while the Greater Demon would have a sword or axe and fire break with move 2 armor 4 and jump.

I was also thinking about using inqisitors as expert like people on fighting zombies, gorillas, aliens, etc. No psychic powers just masters of fighting monsters and alike.

And I was thinking about looking up the mutant chronicles and incursion rules for the adventure game and why would I have to make new tiles just use the industrial side as the hallway that way multiple people can be in the same squad.

I don't think there is a problem with this, since I read somewhere where Paolo said he got some of his ideas and art style from Mike Mignola. If you have read Hellboy and BPRD you could easily see how some of this stuff would work well in the DT universe.

Not sure what Gojira refers to, Poyet.

HOWEVER, I am going to paint 1 of each Allied basic squad as Polish Free Forces, since I find them to be some of the finest troops in WW2. Do you have any ideas on this?

Gojira- a.k.a Godzilla http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla .

For Polish units in weird war i can direct you to wonderfull anatoli blog with his AK for SOTR.

http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.com/search/label/Secrets%20of%20the%20Third%20Reich?updated-max=2011-02-06T15%3A57%3A00%2B01%3A00&max-results=20 .

PA030018-1.jpg

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/ has some ww2 polish units for conversion

On forums there is pretty awesome conversion from dust Allied to British that you that you can use as reference.

Methinks that basicly you have Polish fighting for Allied (paratroopers) + home army using mostly Axis and home made equipment.

AT rifles + cavalery is must.

+Grey Ranks - kid soldiers in mini mecha (my idea with conversion based on wh40k terminators and space marine) for EVangelion angst and drama

+based on important polish book - metal that weight less than air. (flaying tanks vs mecha yes please)

+resitance was quite good at stealing german secrets , like v2 and enigma so lots of unique axis super tech (unique like in limited number one super mecha per army or hero mecha)

+basic Home Army units - inf 1 fast and with camuflage skills of sniper and heroic attack once per game.

+or maybe lots of kitbashed staff kind like orks in w40k?

just my basics.....

You do realize that Secrets of the 3rd Reich has mech design rules in it? They also encourage using other peoples minis and models as well as conversions. Its a pretty cool game system and we have used it a couple of times. THe biggest drawback for us was that it didnt leave much room for expanding the armylists for points games...but in their defense the average army list has a fair amount of options.

I kind of like the overall idea of a few heroes vs. the demons/ hellspawns/ genetically enginered superfreaks and think it would make a cool scenario. As for using the original Dust Tactics tiles you could always just lay out a bunch of buildings and connect them with hallways made from the impassable terrain.