Injury / Madness cards in Miskatonic Horror?

By LJSLarsson, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

I heard that there are Injury and Madness cards in Miskatonic Horror. Is it totally new cards, or just reprints from Dunwich?

Totally new. They have new penalties altogether, but they also serve as duplicates to already-existing cards, to improve your chances of being devoured !

Have a look for yourself.

LJSLarsson said:

I heard that there are Injury and Madness cards in Miskatonic Horror. Is it totally new cards, or just reprints from Dunwich?

Not only are the MH Injury and Madness cards new, but they're also cool, imaginative and seriously annoying! In the past I and M cards tended to be either devastating (i.e. Amnesia, Broken Hand) or almost meaningnless (ie Necrophobia, -1 Sneak). The MH ones, though, strike a nice balance between those two extremes. For example, the Madness card "Narcolepsy" Delays the Investigator whenever the Crescent Moon symbol comes up black on the Mythos card of the turn. The "Panicked" Madness card forces the Investigator to always try to evade the first time he faces each monster and to never try to find Elusive monsters (Last game McGlen got Panicked!). And the "Obssessed" Madness card prevents an Investigator from ever trading away any items or using any items that must then be discarded.

Is it worth to buy MH for the Madness- and Injury cards if you dont have DH, or do they don't work well on their own?

LJSLarsson said:

Is it worth to buy MH for the Madness- and Injury cards if you dont have DH, or do they don't work well on their own?

Mmmm... Well... There are plenty of reasons to buy MH besides those handful of cards ;'D

You'd have to customize the madness/injury to make it work if you're not going to combine them with DH. I'd probably just have investigators draw one of them in addition to regular losses (or remove some of the loss penalty). There's no risk of being devoured unless you own the DH Madness Injury cards as well, but they'd still be really fun to give to players (even if there's no risk of them killing them).

The cool thing about Miskatonic is that it's a good buy no matter which expansions you haveā€”but the more, the merrier!

You could certainly use the Injury and Madness cards. Avi's recommendation may be a good counter-balance to the fact that you can't get devoured by duplicates using just the MH set, but I can't speak for how nasty they are.

You could also use the six relationships and the skill card with the Lurker icon. All Mythos cards are integral and the Gate cards might be.

You could even use the four new Act cards and still feel a sting even without using the King in Yellow expansion.

Solan said:

LJSLarsson said:

Not only are the MH Injury and Madness cards new, but they're also cool, imaginative and seriously annoying! In the past I and M cards tended to be either devastating (i.e. Amnesia, Broken Hand) or almost meaningnless (ie Necrophobia, -1 Sneak). The MH ones, though, strike a nice balance between those two extremes. For example, the Madness card "Narcolepsy" Delays the Investigator whenever the Crescent Moon symbol comes up black on the Mythos card of the turn. The "Panicked" Madness card forces the Investigator to always try to evade the first time he faces each monster and to never try to find Elusive monsters (Last game McGlen got Panicked!). And the "Obssessed" Madness card prevents an Investigator from ever trading away any items or using any items that must then be discarded.

Sorry, I misstated. Panicked Investigators have to always try and evade the mosnter, rather than fight it.

Solan said:

What happens if someone with "Panicked" meets a monster with "Ambush"? (and fails to evade on the first attempt, obviously)

If "Return to the Old Ways" (Dark Pharaoh and presumably revised too) is in play, can someone with "Obsessed" use any common items?

cim said:

Solan said:

What happens if someone with "Panicked" meets a monster with "Ambush"? (and fails to evade on the first attempt, obviously)

If "Return to the Old Ways" (Dark Pharaoh and presumably revised too) is in play, can someone with "Obsessed" use any common items?

I would think Panicked would trump Ambush and the attempt would be made? Or it would be an instant knockout? Sounds like an FAQ question... No idea re: RttOW (I don't have all the relevant card text in front of me).

According to Solan's description, Panic can't initiate combat. If you fail the evade check then you're in combat and Panic doesn't apply anymore.

Or did I misinterpret?

cim said:

I'd have to see the full text of Obsessed but I wouldn't think this would block them from using any common items they wouldn't already be blocked from. RttOW doesn't require discarding the card as a clause of using it, it just adds it as a possible consequence.

Tibs said:

According to Solan's description, Panic can't initiate combat. If you fail the evade check then you're in combat and Panic doesn't apply anymore.

Or did I misinterpret?

A week without Arkham Wiki and we all fall apart ;'D

Avi_dreader said:

A week without Arkham Wiki and we all fall apart ;'D

>implying there's anything from MH on the wiki

Given the questions I've raised, the least I can do is post the relevant card text:

"Panic: You must always attempt to evade a monster before fighting. You can not choose to make an evade check to initiate combat with an elusive monster."

So you were right, Tibs. It seems you only have to try to evade initially, then you can fight.

"Obsessed: You may not use any items that are discarded when they are used. You may not give any items to another Investigator."

Solan said:

"Obsessed: You may not use any items that are discarded when they are used. You may not give any items to another Investigator."

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Return_to_the_Old_Ways has the relevant text. Having read it, I'd say you're discarding the item to pass the rumor, not using it. Therefore it is okay to discard the item without an effect even if you have Obsessed. Disagree?