Will this game be very different that LOTR LCG?

By SeerMagic, in Elder Sign

Just curious if anyone knew how different this will be. There are things I like in LOTR, but some stuff I don't like. Particularly the who quest phase and figuring out who is gonna attack who. All that seems like I was doing simply math for 1/2 the game, which isn't fun.

any help would be great, as I have this on my wishlist.

No one can really say at this time how different this game will be from LOTR. We are all just speculating about its mechanics. The consensus of opinion is that you choose Investigators with differing abilities to overcome different encounters thrown at you by the game. This is why it is being compared to LOTR. I am surprised that you say that one of the things you dislike about LOTR is the constant decisions about which Hero/Ally to use for 'Questing', 'Defending' or 'Attacking'. That is what the game is all about. As a party, you decide who is best to do what in order to have the best chance of completing the Quest. If you don't like that element, I doubt you will like this game. Of course, we may be well off beam about this game, and it plays completely differently. Personally, I think we will have plenty of time to find out more before deciding to go with this new game. Cheers!

SeerMagic said:

There are things I like in LOTR, but some stuff I don't like. Particularly the who quest phase and figuring out who is gonna attack who. All that seems like I was doing simply math for 1/2 the game, which isn't fun.

It may not be fun for you, but it is fun for millions of collectible card gamers and that's what LOTR is very much like. You're constantly solving a big mathematic/logic puzzle. Personally, I love that, but if you don't, then you at least know one type of game you can save money on. :)

Elder Sign shouldn't be anything like that. It looks like a lot more pattern-matching than calculation. That said, as with any dice game, you're probably going to do better if you know how to calculate probability.

You guys misunderstand. I play lots of cards game, and I love the decision making. In lotr what I don't like is you spend 1/2 the time doing math, doing pure number checks. that's not fun. I have fun deciding who does what, I just don't like the method/steps lotr does for this.