Dunwich Horror Expansion (reprint) release?

By MadRabbi666, in Arkham Horror Second Edition

I was wondering if anyone knew when the re-release of Dunwich Horror expansion (reprint) is coming out? I ordered it on Amazaon, was suppose to get it in early June, and wasn't notified that it was a reprint. So if anyone can let me know in regards of its release I would really appreciate it, because I'm getting no notification of its release unless it's straight from Amazon.

According to FFGs release schedule it is "Shipping Now" which they define as "This process takes between 7-10 days for the US, or a few days longer in Canada." No hard date given.

It's out ...at some places, apparently, and not at others. CoolStuffInc. had it for the past week or so, while I just picked-up the copy I had reserved at my local gaming store. While I can get these things on-line faster and generally cheaper, I have a soft spot for the brick-and-mortar establishments run by families in the area. Miskatonic , too, can be found aton-line stores, but I'll wait the extra week to pick it up.

Having reviewed the cards last night, In addition to the Patrol Markers and Exhibit Encounters , I'll blend the old with the new CotDP sets, using the Mythos Cards, Other World Cards, Arkham Encounter Cards (some of the write-ups are a bit different), Spells (many of which have been rewritten, so you have different effects and different Sanity Costs/Casting Modifiers), and Exhibit Items, while retaining the Barred from Neighborhood cards (Hey, I like 'em) and the older versions of the Benefit and Detriment cards. I'm sure one of our whizz-bang scientists could tell you how the numbers will be skewed by combining everything, but that's irrelevant to me ~ I'm just enjoying the game.

I was just at my local game store in NYC and they had like 6 copies of Dunwich on the shelves that weren'tt there last week, so the reprint is out there, hopefully everywhere soon.

Just picked up Dunwich at my local shop (in the state of Washington).

Excellent expansion indeed! My wife and I won our first game of it but it was close. Terror level was 10 for quite a while, with 6-monster surges happening often. Gleki (?) was the old one -- forget how you spell it, it's the one that, if you lose an ally, sends out a servant that makes you discard a skill. And since we would have lost if he woke up (with terror level of 10) that was a struggle.

Love the new stuff in this expansion, it is most excellent.

Zapranoth said:

Just picked up Dunwich at my local shop (in the state of Washington).

Excellent expansion indeed! My wife and I won our first game of it but it was close. Terror level was 10 for quite a while, with 6-monster surges happening often. Gleki (?) was the old one -- forget how you spell it, it's the one that, if you lose an ally, sends out a servant that makes you discard a skill. And since we would have lost if he woke up (with terror level of 10) that was a struggle.

Love the new stuff in this expansion, it is most excellent.

glaaki can be one of the nastier ones, at least counting pre-innsmouth.

but, eh, you did notice that the servants made you discard different things, right? not all discards are skills. there are spells, items, etc.

I have been watching this on Amazon quite closely since the (jacked up re-sellers) price had been dropping for some time. I just now put in an order and have a copy on the way for less than 40 bucks, including shipping! I double checked here first and yes, the product status had been changed to "buy now." I can't wait to try out my first board expansion!

I got a copy today, and had a blast trying to fight the Dunwich Horror (I say try because it drove me insane).
Something I noticed though, in the box I purchased, there were 4 spells (flesh ward), 2 common items (lanterns), and a unique item (healing stone), as well as one mythos card (songs of the wood) that did not have the Dunwich Horror mark on them. Can anyone confirm if this is true in all sets of the reprint of Dunwich horror, or did my set contain a mis-print?
As "problems" go, it's certainly a minor one, I made a list of the cards without marks incase I feel the need to take them out of the base game, but I'm curious as to why they didn't have the Dunwich Horror mark. If anyone noticed the same thing or knows mine was a misprint, I'd apreciate it.
Enjoy playing!

Geldris said:

I got a copy today, and had a blast trying to fight the Dunwich Horror (I say try because it drove me insane).
Something I noticed though, in the box I purchased, there were 4 spells (flesh ward), 2 common items (lanterns), and a unique item (healing stone), as well as one mythos card (songs of the wood) that did not have the Dunwich Horror mark on them. Can anyone confirm if this is true in all sets of the reprint of Dunwich horror, or did my set contain a mis-print?
As "problems" go, it's certainly a minor one, I made a list of the cards without marks incase I feel the need to take them out of the base game, but I'm curious as to why they didn't have the Dunwich Horror mark. If anyone noticed the same thing or knows mine was a misprint, I'd apreciate it.
Enjoy playing!

Those are corrected prints of misprinted cards that were included with FFG's first printing of Arkham Horror so if you have the second printing you can dump 'em.

Geldris said:

Enjoy playing!

This isn't an error, the first seven cards you mention are part of Arkham Horror, not Dunwich Horror. The were included in Dunwich and are meant to replace the existing cards from the (pre 2006) base game, so it is correct that they do not have the Dunwich Horror icon on them.

See page 2 of the Dunwich Horror rulebook.

A Note on Arkham Horror Replacement Cards
"To improve game play, several Arkham Horror cards were revised after the release of the base game. These revised Arkham Horror cards have been included in this expansion for your convenience. The revised cards are: four copies of Flesh Ward (a Spell), one copy of Healing Stone (a Unique Item), and two copies of Lantern (a Common Item). To use them, simply remove the old cards from your Arkham Horror card decks and replace them with the revised cards before playing."

Thanks, I just saw that in the rulebook myself. I must have overlooked it :/
Any idea if the mythos card is a misprint, though?

Geldris said:

Thanks, I just saw that in the rulebook myself. I must have overlooked it :/
Any idea if the mythos card is a misprint, though?

According to Arkham Horror Wiki, it is a Dunwich Horror Environment (Urban) card. The title is "Songs from the Woods".

Songs from the Woods

The image on the wiki page does show a Dunwich Horror icon on the card.

Does your copy have a different finish on the tokens, investigators sheets and AO sheets than the base game components? Everything I have so far (AH and Lurker) has a semi-gloss coating on all the tokens and cards but with my copy of DH only the AO and investigator cards are semi-gloss while everything else is matte.

is the other world blue circle blue or purple in this reprint?

Drat! I should have been paying closer attention. I didn't expect the reprint so soon. Fresh off of locking in a Miskatonic Horror order, I don't have enough funds for Dunwich now. I'd have much rather put off MH and get Dunwich sooner, but that's life.

Has anybody bought this reprint yet that can tell us if the printing inconsistencies were fixed or if its exactly the same as the original? Are the cards printed on different paper? Does the blue dot on Lost Carcosa still look purple?

Musha Shukou said:

Has anybody bought this reprint yet that can tell us if the printing inconsistencies were fixed or if its exactly the same as the original? Are the cards printed on different paper? Does the blue dot on Lost Carcosa still look purple?

The blue dot on Lost Carcosa is indeed blue and all the cards are the same stock as everything else I have. Other than a slight color variation on the card backs (which seems to be par for the course in expansions) and the tokens, Investigator sheets and AO sheets having a matte instead of a semi-gloss finish it seems to be all the same. Jacqueline's occupation is listed as "Phychic" on her card though. sad.gif

arkhamresident said:

Musha Shukou said:

The blue dot on Lost Carcosa is indeed blue and all the cards are the same stock as everything else I have. Other than a slight color variation on the card backs (which seems to be par for the course in expansions) and the tokens, Investigator sheets and AO sheets having a matte instead of a semi-gloss finish it seems to be all the same. Jacqueline's occupation is listed as "Phychic" on her card though. sad.gif

Oh. That's unfortunate. How did that get changed? I've noticed TONS of spelling errors and missing words, especially on the new MH cards. Still, I might buy the new Dunwich again just to have the same card types. With my current decks, when I'm pulling cards out at random, it is way too easy to tell which cards are from DH.

Musha Shukou said:

arkhamresident said:

Oh. That's unfortunate. How did that get changed? I've noticed TONS of spelling errors and missing words, especially on the new MH cards. Still, I might buy the new Dunwich again just to have the same card types. With my current decks, when I'm pulling cards out at random, it is way too easy to tell which cards are from DH.

That's why I always do a cut draw (i.e. I shuffle, cut, and draw the card on the top of the cut when I'm supposed to draw randomly).