Question About Career Transitions

By Sam_snr, in WFRP Rules Questions

When a hero transitions to a new Career, you get to obviously carry over all improvements and continue building your character right? (except maybe action cards/talents that arent compatible with the new Career.)

but where do you document all this on the caracter sheet. since you need the slots to be blank to fill in for you next career.

I'm reading trough the rulebook, trying to wrap my head around the game and this part has me a bit confused.

Any help setting this newb straight would be appreciated.

I think you are supposed to take a new character sheet for your next career and keep the old one as a record.

This seemed very impractical to me so I just scanned the character sheet and printed the career-advance section of the sheet for my players. I put two of them beside one another so they come out the same size as the normal sheets and print it on both sides so there's space for 4 extra careers. That way my players can record a lot of careers without wasting a character sheets, and we have less paper cluttering our gaming table. I could put up a download link to it here on the forum, but I'm not sure if FFG is ok with that, since it's a slightly modified version of their sheet.

Otherwise I can send you the link via PM if you are interested in the sheet (I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to do that at least).

Sam_snr said:

(except maybe action cards/talents that arent compatible with the new Career.)

You get to keep all the action cards and talents you purchased. You may not be able to socket some of those talents, but you still have them.

Doc, the Weasel said:

You get to keep all the action cards and talents you purchased. You may not be able to socket some of those talents, but you still have them.

A quick addendum to this, even if you can't socket a talent on your current career sheet, you can socket it on your party sheet (and the published adventures have additional 'party cards' on which you can socket talents) which means that talents are not necessarily useless. There are also Focus talents like 'Quick Wits' that allow you to socket a non-focus talent in a focus slot.

P. 38 Core rules :

"The player should also take a new sheet from the character pad to track the advances and experience for his character in the new career.

This is an important element to keep in mind – each career is tracked on its own separate sheet."