Hunt for Gollum review

By NinjaDorg, in The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

I know some of you are still waiting for your Gollum sets to arrive, so if you're looking to pass the time until then I wrote a review of the set here if you're interested:

javascript:void(0);/*1310469423549*/

I heartily agree with all you said. My local games store let me borrow their advanced preview set of 'Gollum', but have to give it back when the proper sets arrive. The extra cards for each Sphere, although limited, are a start, and Bilbo gives a bit of Hero variety. My comments in previous threads will make it obvious that I have avoided the temptation to buy another Core set. Too much waste! What can you do with duplicate Hero, Encounter and Scenario cards? Yes, it is more difficult, but I enjoy the challenge. This also gives me an opportunity to thank you for all the extra scenarios you have developed. Havn't succeeded yet in all of them, but it helped to fill in the time after the unfortunate delays. Keep up the good work - IF your wife lets you! Cheers!

Rashley said:

I heartily agree with all you said. My local games store let me borrow their advanced preview set of 'Gollum', but have to give it back when the proper sets arrive. The extra cards for each Sphere, although limited, are a start, and Bilbo gives a bit of Hero variety. My comments in previous threads will make it obvious that I have avoided the temptation to buy another Core set. Too much waste! What can you do with duplicate Hero, Encounter and Scenario cards? Yes, it is more difficult, but I enjoy the challenge. This also gives me an opportunity to thank you for all the extra scenarios you have developed. Havn't succeeded yet in all of them, but it helped to fill in the time after the unfortunate delays. Keep up the good work - IF your wife lets you! Cheers!

Your local games store sounds just awesome.

I have gone back and forth on getting an extra core set, and though I feel like I’m missing out a bit, I’m still not convinced that it’s not just a rip-off. By the time you’ve got a few expansions I doubt you’ll miss it, but there’s still that feeling of not having the complete game. Shame FFG went this route, but it’s business at the end of the day.

Glad you enjoyed my LOTR scenarios too – thanks for your comments mate. More on the way some day but I’m getting my money’s worth out of Hunt for Gollum first...

great review!

in terms of buying 2 core sets...FFG should release a "naked" core set that includes the all the additional cards to have a full set, 2 threat counters, and some extra damage/progress/resource tokens. make it a reduced price. basically everything minus the encounter/quest/hero cards.

Thanks mate.

And much as we'd all love a 'completion' kit, and given that there's a guaranteed market for it, it seems weird that FFG would categorically state that it will not happen. But they did. So you have to decide whether or not it's worth the cash for an extra few cards from another coreset and then chucking the rest... No thanks - I'll get another Thunderstone expansion instead!

reno1051 said:

great review!

in terms of buying 2 core sets...FFG should release a "naked" core set that includes the all the additional cards to have a full set, 2 threat counters, and some extra damage/progress/resource tokens. make it a reduced price. basically everything minus the encounter/quest/hero cards.

I was just thinking about this today. How there should be the "core set" and "players sets". If I want to play this game with my buddies a whole extra core set seems expensive and wasteful. There should be a "player set" that includes threat trackers, heroes, and player cards.

Maybe once there are a few big box expansions out, and initial core set sales are dropping off they might release it. But I wouldn't hold your breath!

I know there is a list somewhere, but are there a lot of good cards missing from the core set ie. not 3 included? from what i remember there arent that many cards that have 3 copies in the core set.

From BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/671866/2nd-core-set

There are 38 player cards that you only get 2 of in one core set:

SPHERE: Leadership (10)
=====================================
*Faramir Ally
Longbeard Orc Slayer Ally
Silverlode Archer Ally
Son of Arnor Ally
*Steward of Gondor Attachment
Common Cause Event
Ever Vigilant Event
For Gondor! Event
Sneak Attack Event
Valiant Sacrifice Event

SPHERE: Lore (10)
Erebor Hammersmith Ally
*Gleowine Ally
Miner of the Iron Hills Ally
Forest Snare Attachment
Protector of Lorien Attachment
Self Preservation Attachment
Gandalf's Search Event
Lorien's Wealth Event
Radagast's Cunning Event
Secret Paths Event

SPHERE: Spirit (10)
Northern Tracker Ally
Wandering Took Ally
Power in the Earth Attachment
The Favor of the Lady Attachment
A Light in the Dark Event
A Test of Will Event
Hasty Stroke Event
Strength of Will Event
The Galadhrim's Greeting Event
Will of the West Event

SPHERE: Tactics (8)
Horseback Archer Ally
Blade of Gondolin Attachment
Citadel Plate Attachment
Dwarven Axe Attachment
Feint Event
Quick Strike Event
Rain of Arrows Event
Thicket of Spears Event

There are 13 player cards (not including heroes) that you only get one of:

SPHERE: Leadership (3)
===================================
*Brok Ironfist Ally
*Celebrian's Stone Attachment
Grim Resolve Event

SPHERE: Lore (3)
*Henemarth Riversong Ally
Dark Knowledge Attachment
Beorn's Hospitality Event

SPHERE: Spirit (3)
Unexpected Courage Attachment
Dwarven Tomb Event
Fortune or Fate Event

SPHERE: Tactics (4)
*Beorn Ally
*Horn of Gondor Attachment
Stand together Event
Swift Strike Event

ugh i forgot you only get 1 of some cards...FFG Y U NO INCLUDE ALL CARDS!?

Ninjadorg,

Read your review, Thank you for not spoiling the quests btw!, but there may be a typo? You mention a Spirit/Leader deck with Eowyn, Aragorn, and Thalin. Is that supposed to be Theodred or did you truly take a tri-sphere to battle?

I'm glad I'm hearing positive feedback on Bilbo. I've been afraid he's way overcosted and too fragile to include. But so far, everyone that's actually played with him says he's a winner.

Mestrahd said:

Ninjadorg,

Read your review, Thank you for not spoiling the quests btw!, but there may be a typo? You mention a Spirit/Leader deck with Eowyn, Aragorn, and Thalin. Is that supposed to be Theodred or did you truly take a tri-sphere to battle?

I'm glad I'm hearing positive feedback on Bilbo. I've been afraid he's way overcosted and too fragile to include. But so far, everyone that's actually played with him says he's a winner.

Bilbo is ok in my opinion(before i thought he is bad).

I build up one deck based on Bilbo and HFG cards. (I dont have real cards so i use proxy).

His ability draw 1 more card per turn amazing.He also can defend in some case he is defense 2 not so bad. My idea Bilbo, Beravur and Denetor. I have song of the kings and Ministrels + sneak attack and strider path +steward of gondor and celebrian stone. + Lot of leadership allies. Working quite well. I draw all my deck in my hand in the first 10 turns. Threat ca go up to 40-45. After you have lot of allies in play, Most powerfull enemies engage and snared already and 3 gandalf with 3 sneak attack in hand.

Than you start to movie and quest like crazy by discarding card through protector of Lorien and play Gandalf every turn for reduce threat and help to kill enemies. This not a top deck but very interesting to play.

Mestrahd said:

Ninjadorg,

Thanks for pointing that out - it was definitely a typo! It must have been a short, bearded version of Theodred I was using - can't believe no one picked up on that earlier. In any case I updated the review now, cheers.

After seeing the preview of Bilbo I honestly thought I'd leave himin the box after a quick experimental play. But now I see that depending on how you play/design your deck he can be incredibly valuable, moreso with fewer players - and solo he is just awesome because you're drawing 100% more cards every turn.

Shelfwear said:

There are 38 player cards that you only get 2 of in one core set:

(SNIP)

There are 13 player cards (not including heroes) that you only get one of:

£30 for 51 new cards just doesn't cut it for me, much as I'd like to have those extra options FFG have simply messed themselves here.

I get it in my hands yesterday. I play 5 games.

First game play 3 players with 3 mono decks. Really cool and hard game and we lose. Second game we play again 3 players but wit expert decks 50 cards, win very easy. Next game we play again with 3 players (3 expert deck) but reveal 4 encounter cards instead 3, also win very easy.

Than i play 1 game solo expert 50 cards deck, long and hard game and i lose in the end(was really interesting). Next game again solo , same deck , very long and hard game and i win(also very interesting game).

Verdict: The quest is interesting and game expirience is really different from 3 core sets.Scaling also better more players you have more dangerous encounter cards effects which is good but still game is to easy if you have expert 50 cards decks.

Really there is same problems as with core set quests. To easy wtih 3 and more players and for expert decks. So i still wonder wnen we will get the quest which one will be manage to play against expert decks and more than 1 player????

For good game expirience play solo. In coop game play with mono decks than is ok. Otherwise is walk in the park.

P.S. Art is very good like always.

With all this talk of easy expert decks you're actually making me feel better about only having one core set - so cheers!

NinjaDorg said:

With all this talk of easy expert decks you're actually making me feel better about only having one core set - so cheers!

Actually you right. For now really not necessary to build up 50 cards (3copies cards) expert decks. If you build up this decks the game is to easy.

The best is play mono sphere decks for coop. In solo yes with good expert deck you win from 80% to 90% of game sessions.

The HFG difiicult level is 4. So according to this logic 5 and 6 difficult level will be ok for expert 50 cards decks and 8,9,10 (maybe up?)

is ok for coop game expert decks. Something like this maybe???

Well, I got my copy of HfG today and was surprised how easy it was. After failed many, many times on "Down the Anduin" I had streamlined and fine tuned my solo decks so I could beat Anduin it at the end (Spirit/Leadership and Lore/Tactic, with two core sets). With each of these two decks I easily beat HfG on the first attempt. If you keep your threat below 35 and dont draw a "Hunter from Mordor" as a shadow card this scenario isnt really a challenge. I wouldn't even rate it being difficulty level 4 - feels more like 3 or 2 (??).

Every time you play, it can be totally different depending on the cards you draw, so don't judge it on only a few plays. Also, people have been saying that this scenario is great because it's actully harder with more people, unlike most of the core scenarios which are way harder solo. Try it with some friends!

Shelfwear said:

Well, I got my copy of HfG today and was surprised how easy it was. After failed many, many times on "Down the Anduin" I had streamlined and fine tuned my solo decks so I could beat Anduin it at the end (Spirit/Leadership and Lore/Tactic, with two core sets). With each of these two decks I easily beat HfG on the first attempt. If you keep your threat below 35 and dont draw a "Hunter from Mordor" as a shadow card this scenario isnt really a challenge. I wouldn't even rate it being difficulty level 4 - feels more like 3 or 2 (??).

Yes is quite easy..... Yes with more player is more difficult but still...... If you already play 3 quests form core set and waiting for something new HFG give you no much fun anyway. To easy!!!

I dont now what to say. I think if Conflict in Carrock will not provide more challenge i drop to play this game. Or maybe wait until tournament system and than decide...... I notice that already in another topic: You wait for HFG so long time, get it, play and get disapointed since is to easy. And now you must to wait again another month for next adv pack. You sure you have enough patience??? Yes maybe Conflict in C. we still will wait but if this one not give enough challenge i think the game start to lose loyal players......

Glaurung, maybe I'm just in an irritable mood...but I am sure tired of seeing you say the game is "sooooo easy".

Why do you feel the need to come to boards, about once a day it seems!, to say how easy you find the game?

Based on other commenters, there are many, many players still struggling to to complete the quests, even after months of trying and deck tweaks.

Anyone who claims the game is so easy, or has -100 threat points (as another poster mentioned), makes me think they must be playing the game incorrectly.

But, who knows? Maybe I'm playing incorrectly which is why I don't find the game "too easy".

Either way, I can understand why you'd be frustrated in a game that you were looking forward too, if it's too easy (I've felt that way about many video games), but I don't get boasting about it often on the message boards.

Just my two cents...

Glaurung said:

Yes is quite easy..... Yes with more player is more difficult but still...... If you already play 3 quests form core set and waiting for something new HFG give you no much fun anyway. To easy!!!

I dont now what to say. I think if Conflict in Carrock will not provide more challenge i drop to play this game. Or maybe wait until tournament system and than decide...... I notice that already in another topic: You wait for HFG so long time, get it, play and get disapointed since is to easy. And now you must to wait again another month for next adv pack. You sure you have enough patience??? Yes maybe Conflict in C. we still will wait but if this one not give enough challenge i think the game start to lose loyal players......

I don't think you'll find the challenge you're looking for in Conflict at the Carrock. Most likely the challenging quests you want to play will be in The Dead Marshes and Return to Mirkwood. That is assuming the difficulty of the quests increases with each release.

I can hardly wait to get my copy of HfG. My game store gets it in tomorrow. It will be really fun to play with the new player cards and experience the new quest.

I definitely don't agree with Glaurung that the game is a piece of piss, but Hunt for Gollum does at least seem easier than say, River Anduin. Although maybe it's harder with more players - only tried with 1 or 2 so far.

As for repeatedly beating Dol Guldur and finding it too easy? I'm slightly dubious of that. I also think a single small expansion including a scenario that was more difficult than Dol Guldur would be met with significant frustration from fans. I expect the next 'very difficult' quest will appear in the next big box expansion, so that they can include a couple of easier scenarios to offset it...

Dain Ironfoot said:

Glaurung, maybe I'm just in an irritable mood...but I am sure tired of seeing you say the game is "sooooo easy".

Why do you feel the need to come to boards, about once a day it seems!, to say how easy you find the game?

Based on other commenters, there are many, many players still struggling to to complete the quests, even after months of trying and deck tweaks.

Anyone who claims the game is so easy, or has -100 threat points (as another poster mentioned), makes me think they must be playing the game incorrectly.

But, who knows? Maybe I'm playing incorrectly which is why I don't find the game "too easy".

Either way, I can understand why you'd be frustrated in a game that you were looking forward too, if it's too easy (I've felt that way about many video games), but I don't get boasting about it often on the message boards.

Just my two cents...

Yes Dain you right i talk to much about it. So dont worry soon i will not be here anymore.

Just maybe i wait from this game to much.....When game come out i was so exiting about..... Same before like in Decipher lotr tcg time....

Maybe before i use to play this card game as a sport and challenge (tournaments ans so on) but this game is just fun home game not manage for this.

When i use t play lotr decpher before to win against good players is always was not easy and session was long , hard and until the end of the game you never know what your opponent can do and game can brake in every turn. FFG lotr lcg amazing idea. But quest manage to be very weak!!! There is so many ways how to make quest more interesting but looks like FFG want to make this game casual style.

I also try to create Lotr community in my town and last week i manage to make a HFG event in our club. So many players which i try to bring to games notice same problem (game easy and boring to quick) so most of them stay with GOT and other games.

This game touch my soul cose is Tolkien and i love it.This why for me is hard decision to stop play this game............ And i wonder what kind of challenge you find with third quest on coop game??? And HFG we play and reveal even 4 cards in 3 player game and win easy.

I can certainly understand your frustration, I just think it's pointless to say it in nearly every post you make.

I don't play any other Living Card Games, so forgive my ignorance, but I wonder how fair it is to judge a game with only 50ish different player cards? Hunt for Gollum only added 9 new cards, correct? And there are 40-something (51?) in the Core Set?

Decipher's LOTR game was a traditional CCG and had 100-200 cards right out of the gate. It's comparing apples and oranges, in my opinion.

I think a better assesment can be made after the first full cycle of adventure packs and maybe even after the next large set (is there any info on if/when these will actually happen?).

Of course, that is also the risk with a LCG, as I see it. You release a product without much variation in the cards and people are going to be left feeling unfullfilled.

How have the other FFG LCGs felt upon their first release?