just played my first multiplayer game (got some questions)

By Vrijewandelaar, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

hey all

i have just played my first even AGOT game with 3 friends (and besides the idea we where doing it all wrong it was ALOT of fun :D )
we played with only the core deck and i played Baratheon <3 robert :D .

the question we had through the entire game is whats the point in defending a challange u know u cant win ? lets say i declare a military challange with 2 characters with a combined strenght of 6 all 3 of my opponents can in no way go above a military strenght of 5 and no one can make me change the defending player through any cards what so ever. Is the only reason people would want to defend that chalange to stop me from getting a power (since the attack was undefended ?)

in the 5 hour game :D we had never had to handle any plot cards claim every turn we attacked got power from undefended challanges, or didnt attack cause we knew the opponent could defend and then strike when it was his turn.

speaking for myself i could see that killing 1 character (claim) from a military challange would be better then one of my opponents getting a power token but by not defending letting him get his power token en then doing the same challange to him and he not defending we both get a power token.

it felt realy weird never (harly never being bothered to defend)

hope someone can clarify what we did wrong if we did :P
but all in all i realy enjoyed the game and i loved the multiplayer titles that made it exciting im sure many more question will rise up once i get some rest :D

Even if you don't defend you still have to satisfy the claim

So and undefended challenge gets you claim, plus one power.

Some decks defend, and some don't really (I admit to rarely defending). It does get you in trouble, especially against a faster deck where that power can build up quick (3X undefended plus power claim plus dominance is 5 right there, and without Renown).

However, many times I defend the military challenge with the person that will be dying. It is called 'chump blocking' and is pretty normal.

Good luck!

rings said:

However, many times I defend the military challenge with the person that will be dying. It is called 'chump blocking' and is pretty normal.

So, many folks like to block with Kennon and then let him die for claim? How'd he ever win a melee? ;)

rings said:

Some decks defend, and some don't really (I admit to rarely defending). It does get you in trouble, especially against a faster deck where that power can build up quick (3X undefended plus power claim plus dominance is 5 right there, and without Renown).

Good luck!

I think the problem they were having is they thought that if you do not block, that you do not have to satisfy claim. He did say that not once did they have to use a plots claim, despite clearly having let through a ton of challenges.

Saturnine said:

rings said:

So, many folks like to block with Kennon and then let him die for claim? How'd he ever win a melee? ;)

Wow......that was epic. If I had been drinking my monitor would have been fairly wet.

ScottieATF said:

rings said:

Good luck!

I think the problem they were having is they thought that if you do not block, that you do not have to satisfy claim. He did say that not once did they have to use a plots claim, despite clearly having let through a ton of challenges.

yeah that was exactly our problem :D .
ps is it true that the core deck of stark hardly has any intrigue challanges available so ur almost all the time not able to defend those ?

Saturnine said:

rings said:

Oh the pain...