Gellar Field replacements?

By Mjoellnir, in Dark Heresy

Hello, I finally got Daemon Hunter and have a question concerning the personal teleporter. According to the book "The Grey Knight may travel across greater distances using his Psy Rating to protect him on the journey in much the same way as a Gellar Field protects a Warp-capable vessel." This seems a bit strange since people with a psy rating should light up the warp and draw lots of daemons to them, but let's just assume GK's are that great. Could an untouchable use a personal teleporter and be similarly protected by his "null field"? And if yes, how would it work with Table 5-7? Willpower bonus instead of psy rating? After all it's what increases the size of his field.

When the Grey Knight Interceptors use a teleport shunt, they're not in the Empyrean for very long nor do they usually travel very far. Even a Grey Knight with an 8+ Psy Rating teleporting across an entire solar system is an insignficant distance compared to the vast expanse of space that a voidship has to travel - and the Grey Knights can't cross interstellar distances.

For the limited period that they spend in the Warp, the strength of will of the Grey Knight is sufficient to protect them.

As far as allowing a Null to use a personal teleporter, I'd say no. Its a technology based on psychic ability, in much the same way that the Grey Knights' Aegis is empowered, and an Untouchable just doesn't have any psychic ability (in fact, they dampen it!)

I'm not sure that there are alternatives to a Gellar Field - hexagramic wards and the like seem to offer some protection, but they tend to augment the Field, not replace it. That said, the Orks don't appear to have Gellar Fields, but I'm not sure how their ships are protected? Sheer bloody-mindedness maybe?

InfinityDoctor said:

When the Grey Knight Interceptors use a teleport shunt, they're not in the Empyrean for very long nor do they usually travel very far. Even a Grey Knight with an 8+ Psy Rating teleporting across an entire solar system is an insignficant distance compared to the vast expanse of space that a voidship has to travel - and the Grey Knights can't cross interstellar distances.

For the limited period that they spend in the Warp, the strength of will of the Grey Knight is sufficient to protect them.

As far as allowing a Null to use a personal teleporter, I'd say no. Its a technology based on psychic ability, in much the same way that the Grey Knights' Aegis is empowered, and an Untouchable just doesn't have any psychic ability (in fact, they dampen it!)

I was under the impression that the teleport backpacks work like the warp drive of a space ship, regardless if the user is psychic, normal or null (there's also a less reliable one in Rogue Trader that doesn't allow for big distances but can be used by everybody). Before I got the book I thought the psy rating would be important because they would channel it into the teleporter to increase the distance, but the text says they use their psy rating to protect themselves like a Gellar field would.

InfinityDoctor said:

I'm not sure that there are alternatives to a Gellar Field - hexagramic wards and the like seem to offer some protection, but they tend to augment the Field, not replace it. That said, the Orks don't appear to have Gellar Fields, but I'm not sure how their ships are protected? Sheer bloody-mindedness maybe?

Da Orkz haf da rilly big teef ta tchannel da waagh fielt fo defence. Otherwise it would be interesting to see if any demon wants to get near a ship that carries the whole Culexus temple with it.

Mjoellnir said:

I was under the impression that the teleport backpacks work like the warp drive of a space ship, regardless if the user is psychic, normal or null (there's also a less reliable one in Rogue Trader that doesn't allow for big distances but can be used by everybody). Before I got the book I thought the psy rating would be important because they would channel it into the teleporter to increase the distance, but the text says they use their psy rating to protect themselves like a Gellar field would.

To be honest, its not very clear. The text seems to indicate that the teleport is psychically triggered ("With a thought..") and while it is normally used like a jump-pack, there's that whole ability to cross vast distances based on psychic ability - but you don't seem to spend any more time in the Warp if you're shunting from Terra to Titan or six feet forwards.

Maybe someone who has read the Grey Knights novels could shed some light on the technology involved? The Codex doesn't really explain how they work either.

InfinityDoctor said:

Maybe someone who has read the Grey Knights novels could shed some light on the MAGIC is involved? The Codex doesn't really explain how they work either.

Corrected the above... :P

InfinityDoctor said:

To be honest, its not very clear. The text seems to indicate that the teleport is psychically triggered ("With a thought..") and while it is normally used like a jump-pack, there's that whole ability to cross vast distances based on psychic ability - but you don't seem to spend any more time in the Warp if you're shunting from Terra to Titan or six feet forwards.

You're right, it can be easily interpreted in multiple ways "with a thought" for example meant something like a Mind Impulse Unit for me. The shunting is more difficult, especially because it's even more powerful than a shipbound teleportarium .

InfinityDoctor said:

Maybe someone who has read the Grey Knights novels could shed some light on the technology involved? The Codex doesn't really explain how they work either.

crisaron said:

InfinityDoctor said:

Maybe someone who has read the Grey Knights novels could shed some light on the MAGIC is involved? The Codex doesn't really explain how they work either.

Corrected the above... :P

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRD!!!!!!!!!!

InfinityDoctor said:

That said, the Orks don't appear to have Gellar Fields, but I'm not sure how their ships are protected? Sheer bloody-mindedness maybe?

The Orks have "it works if we believe it will" thing going for them. So if they believe the big teef will protect them, they will. Especially since they are fully in the warp when they need the teefs protection. And they probably like it being a bit weaker than a gellar field, since daemons are such fun.

Then you have to consider that Orks are extremely resistant to corruption (to the point that Ork PCs in Into The Storm don't gain corruption points from anything). They aren't completely immune, but they are very hard for a daemon to corrupt. I've also heard that if a daemon posses an Ork, the Ork stays in control but the daemon is trapped. So they are probably quite a few daemons who, upon realising it's an Ork ship, decide to go looking for any other ship.

The Orks also have superior Tellyportas, occasionally capable of interstellar range teleportations.

Bilateralrope said:

InfinityDoctor said:

That said, the Orks don't appear to have Gellar Fields, but I'm not sure how their ships are protected? Sheer bloody-mindedness maybe?

The Orks have "it works if we believe it will" thing going for them. So if they believe the big teef will protect them, they will. Especially since they are fully in the warp when they need the teefs protection. And they probably like it being a bit weaker than a gellar field, since daemons are such fun.

Then you have to consider that Orks are extremely resistant to corruption (to the point that Ork PCs in Into The Storm don't gain corruption points from anything). They aren't completely immune, but they are very hard for a daemon to corrupt. I've also heard that if a daemon posses an Ork, the Ork stays in control but the daemon is trapped. So they are probably quite a few daemons who, upon realising it's an Ork ship, decide to go looking for any other ship.

Also keep in mind the fluff that goes into the Big Mek's Shokk-Attack Gun: It sucks up Snotlings, shoots them THROUGH the warp, and they emerge out the otherside batshit insane and warped... sometimes INSIDE the enemy's armor.

I agree, though, Daemons would probably just be entertaining things to krump as they get ported from one location to another.

Many orcs simply occupy derelict space hulks, and often use their Gellar Fields. Ghazaghull's first fleet used one and were often attacked by demons when the power systems failed. In the ork codex the orcs say that finding genestealers, demons or chaos marines in Roks and Hulks just makes the trip more fun!

They can also, as others mentioned use their own technology and waagh mental powers. If enough of them think it works, it works. Most of their guns have nothing inside them, just a box of ammo and some nuts to make noise when they run. And a trukk painted red is ALWAYS faster then one who isn't.

Ghaundan said:

Many orcs simply occupy derelict space hulks, and often use their Gellar Fields. Ghazaghull's first fleet used one and were often attacked by demons when the power systems failed. In the ork codex the orcs say that finding genestealers, demons or chaos marines in Roks and Hulks just makes the trip more fun!

Travellin' through space is boring. Well, boring unless da hulk yer on is full of dem gene-sneakers, or a base fer da chaos lads wiv da spikes, or already has Boyz on it. Or if humie lootas come callin', that's always good fer a bit a sport. Or unless yer have a mutiny or two to pass da time, or unless strange fings start happenin', which dey usually do when yer out in da warp. One time we had some bloody great ugly fing come straight out of Weird Lugwort's 'ed! It butchered half da lads, that was pretty entertainin'. Come ter fink of it, space is a pretty good larf. And that's before yer find yerself a nice world ta crush!

Bigmaw, Ork Runtherd

The Ork codex even has one Ork who found daemons so fun that he decided to invade the Eye of Terror . It went about as well as you would expect, up until he made a rude gesture with a power claw that stabbed a daemon prince between the legs. Now his mob gets resurrected each day to rampage across a daemon world, meaning it worked out better for them than he planned.

Okay, since this thread has been boarded by Ork Mekboys I teleport away 120,000 km with my houserules. gran_risa.gif

kmriverbear.jpg